vochlea Dubler live real-time audio-to-MIDI mic

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

vochlea Dubler live real-time audio-to-MIDI mic

Post by Lunkhead »

Somebody at work shared this today, and it seemed really cool. It's a USB microphone which comes with some software that makes it so you can generate midi live, in real-time, from your vocalizations into the mic. You can beatbox to sequence drums, sing to control synths, with parameters, even with pitch bend, and more. I would imagine that this could be a great tool for a vocalist to be able to have a more vocal-centric production process that cuts out a lot of tedious MIDI programming, or even removes the need to have to use a MIDI keyboard and maybe even removes some of the basic music theory knowledge required. Like you wouldn't need think about which notes are which keys on the keyboard, or, what musical note it is that you want, because you can just sing it rather than having to figure out which key on the keyboard is your note and then translate to what note that key on the keyboard is, etc. It understands keys and has a chord mode feature too so you can sing a single note in and it will generate key appropriate MIDI triads/etc. to send to a polyphonic MIDI instrument.

https://vochlea.com/

Here's a sponsored demo video from Andrew Huang

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: vochlea Dubler live audio-to-MIDI mic

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

260 pounds if anyone is interested in the cost.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

I just heard about this yesterday and it sounds awesome. One of my go-to writing techniques for brass pieces is to first just sing the parts - this would be a game changer for that alone. Analogously, I like the DAW I use, Bitwig, a LOT, because it is intuitive and you aren't caught in the DAW, and are free to go about creating - I completely get where you're coming from, not having to futz with, or least less futzing with, an interface to get to the sounds you're trying to arrive at. Maybe this will become someone's Black Friday or Cyber Monday treat :)
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

You can also do this for free with the mic you already have in Reaper... I can post my Track Template setup for this if interested...

Edit: Well I didn't watch the whole video... but Vocal to MIDI can be done free.

Look here:
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Yes, many DAWs have audio-to-MIDI post-processing options. The difference with this mic and its software as far as I can tell is that it processes the live audio in real time. You don't have to record the audio first, then post-process it to MIDI, then route the MIDI to a VST instrument, etc.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: vochlea Dubler live real-time audio-to-MIDI mic

Post by ujnhunter »

Did the video I post require you to record the audio first? Guess I linked the wrong video if so... however you can do it in real time in Reaper or you can do it from a pre-recorded Audio File (monophonic only of course...) here are both of my Track Templates which you can insert into your project for both of those applications if you want... you can either download the freeware "mda Piano" VST which is what my tracks are setup to use, or replace it with a VST of your choosing to be able to hear the MIDI notes. https://oc01.table2.com/index.php/s/anWakzZPTK5T7AB

The Voice to MIDI is the real time option that only records MIDI input from your voice when you hit record.
The Audio to MIDI using Reatune is the pre-recorded audio option where you drag your audio onto the audio track and when you hit record it transcribes it to MIDI (some cleanup may be required in both applications...) on the MIDI track.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Re: vochlea Dubler live real-time audio-to-MIDI mic

Post by grumpymike »

Can confirm: Reaper can record VST output from input.

I don’t need a new piece of hardware. Especially not for the basic case.

But... If there is software that can transcribe beatboxing, then I’m interested in that.