Creative Space Storage and Organization

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Music Room Storage and Organization

Post by vowlvom »

Also here's my messy cupboard of stuff (sorry for double post, max three images per post I think?). Badly needs sorting out, there's a bunch of stuff in here that never gets used.
cupboard.jpg
cupboard.jpg (53.26 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

I wish I had a cupboard.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

To be clear, I'm not criticizing the messes. Carry on.
🤠
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

vowlvom wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:19 am
Also here's my messy cupboard of stuff (sorry for double post, max three images per post I think?). Badly needs sorting out, there's a bunch of stuff in here that never gets used.

cupboard.jpg
This is the kind of content I'm hoping for when I see this thread title. The hanging shoe organizer or whatever is a great Music Room Storage and Organization solution!
🤠
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Sober wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:15 pm
To be clear, I'm not criticizing the messes. Carry on.
To be clear, I just make silly jokes because I can - you should carry on also.
.sig
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

This thread does make me want to spend some time cleaning up, all the same.

In a few days I'm going to be completely redoing my computer setup (switching from a cursed iMac to a hopefully-less-cursed Mac mini) so that'll be a good excuse to spend some time reorganizing my desk, at least.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

I also just got a new computer so need to spend some time rearranging my desk before I take a new pic. I also need to fix the shelf that fell down six weeks ago.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

My music recording area is also my printmaking and art studio, and it’s not even big enough for that alone. I’ve managed to cope by putting some hairpin legs on my big desktop so that it can sit on my plan drawers and act as a standing desk. Instead of a normal mic stand, I use one of the low ones for recording guitars and drums, and I put it on the desk so I can sing into it while standing. I also have a couch that doubles as our spare bed in the room (and has extra storage space inside for all my extra art paper), and if I want to sit down and record I can just move the same mic stand over. The mic stand is a good k&m one that has a much smaller base than they usually do.

59CBB71A-656E-4F0B-ABBC-9A0B40DDE852.jpeg
59CBB71A-656E-4F0B-ABBC-9A0B40DDE852.jpeg (293.02 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
90E14204-2511-4462-BFDF-28547577C754.jpeg
90E14204-2511-4462-BFDF-28547577C754.jpeg (264.71 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

I finally fixed some shelves in my room today that fell down eight weeks ago. And we bought a bunch of new shoes recently so I have a bunch of shoeboxes that I’m organising random art things into so that the shelves aren’t a terrifying mess of art supplies. I have another idea as well as to how I can mount some sliding rails to hold a few ikea crates I have on the underside of my desk, so hopefully that won’t take another eight weeks to do.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Re: Creative Space Storage and Organization

Post by crumpart »

There's still shit all over the couch, but the shelves are back up and there are things organised into boxes! I can't put anything too heavy on these shelves, which is frustrating because 95% of stuff in this room is heavy. Boxes contain random stuff like my sandpaper collection, my deconstructed milk carton collection, some rolls of paper, oil/acrylic paint, brushes, thread collection, cork collection, current knitting project, overdrive pedal that I haven't built yet and so on. Clears up some space in the rest of the room at least.

IMG_3959.jpeg
IMG_3959.jpeg (296.51 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Creative Space Storage and Organization

Post by owl »

We had things set up nicely to record in our big basement music room (as seen in my Original Flava coverfight video at the beginning and end) but I found myself never wanting to go down there to record... too dark, too cold, too big (!) So I took my sewing stuff off my sewing table in my office and set up some recording stuff there instead, and I think I’ll leave it there until at least the end of February Album Writing Month.

It is way more crowded and messy in here than the basement, but I get natural light and I have a big comfy armchair I can sit in to write and practice, and an ergonomic desk chair I can sit in to record and mix. I think I’m going to switch the keyboard around to the right so it doesn’t interfere with the neck of my guitar, but at the moment here’s what the setup looks like. The big comfy chair is to the left (you can see the ottoman in the lower left-hand corner) and my work desk is off to the right. Kind of absurd to pack all this stuff in here when I live in a big house with spare rooms and extra space, but it definitely felt like a drag to go across the house and sit in a cold, dark concrete basement to work on music, so I’m going to see how this works out for me.
AF1A9B4C-5462-4D4D-BE1D-A4072C70CB6F.jpeg
AF1A9B4C-5462-4D4D-BE1D-A4072C70CB6F.jpeg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 1231 times