chunky-ass guitar

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

chunky-ass guitar

Post by starfinger »

hey,

I don't know how to play the guitar, but I do have [a cheap] one, and I want to try to make a nice, heavy riff sound out of it. chugga chugga chugga.

do you have any suggestions on how to distort/effect the guitar, and what kind of chord i should try to play?

-craig
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: chunky-ass guitar

Post by j$ »

starfinger wrote:hey,

I don't know how to play the guitar, but I do have [a cheap] one, and I want to try to make a nice, heavy riff sound out of it. chugga chugga chugga.

do you have any suggestions on how to distort/effect the guitar, and what kind of chord i should try to play?

-craig
OK here's my tip for playing - open E - throw in a G13 (i think it's a G13 - anyway totally open string strike) on every 3rd or 7th beat. Play it as a downward stroke. You should be able to get a nice chug with that.
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

do you happen to have a translator for that Bingo nomenclature?
-craig
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

starfinger wrote:do you happen to have a translator for that Bingo nomenclature?
-craig
Bingo? Full house! E chord is ...

1 2 3 4 5 6
x x x F x x
x F F x x x

G (13?) is

1 2 3 4 5 6
D x x x x D

Where F is finger X is Don't worry about it! and D is Do not Play
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

thanks!

viva la England!

-=craig
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

starfinger wrote:thanks!

viva la England!

-=craig
I have an image of you sitting at your computer with guitar as you type, bashing out crazy chug chords! Keep it down, your boss will hear you .. :)

j$
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

starfinger wrote:do you have any suggestions on how to distort/effect the guitar, and what kind of chord i should try to play?
If you haven't got so already..... I'd highly suggest getting the guitar rig from NI. Killer plug in. A bunch of amps and outboard gear that rock and also the ability to change mics for the amp to mic at various positions. Latest tune by Draft has guitar rig on the slide. I can't tell the difference of my acoustic through guitar rig or a miced amp other than the fact that the noise floor raises with the mic'ing up of the amp. Awesome plug-in. Awesome.

-Pablo
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

tonetripper wrote:I'd highly suggest getting the guitar rig from NI.
i have a variety of distortion plugins and effects.. i just don't know what kind of settings to use.

but Guitar Rig does look nice.. maybe it'll be part of the next NI Komplete.

-craig
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

starfinger wrote:
tonetripper wrote:I'd highly suggest getting the guitar rig from NI.
i have a variety of distortion plugins and effects.. i just don't know what kind of settings to use.

but Guitar Rig does look nice.. maybe it'll be part of the next NI Komplete.

-craig
Be careful using distortion 'effects'. You might end up with that dreaded 'fuzz fake fuzzy' sound. Look for an amplifier emulator like revalver or amplitude. The real CHUG CHUG sound comes from gain or signal boost , not just the clamp on the threshold. I have found that it's just easier to get a direct recording device such as the j-station or the Line6Pod that can give you all the crazy distortion you could ever want...and translate it to line level and that gives you a great sound. But if you record without one of these devices...record clean and add the amplification via emulator. Just my $0.02
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

I have Trash (http://izotope.com/products/audio/trash/), but I've never tried to get a "real" sound out of it. I just saw they have "recipes" for guitar presets, so I"m gonna try that.

thanks for all the tips.

-craig
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

starfinger wrote:I have Trash (http://izotope.com/products/audio/trash/), but I've never tried to get a "real" sound out of it. I just saw they have "recipes" for guitar presets, so I"m gonna try that.

thanks for all the tips.

-craig
I got my NI guitar rig for dirt cheap :wink: . Let me know if there is a way I can get it to you.... Bit of a CPU hog... but great when writing. Best guitar distortion plug-in I've found yet..... it rocks... ask Sven about it.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

-craig, your avatar rocks! Can I get the singing bush?

j$
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

how's this:

thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

another good tip for getting some meat n balls outta yer axe is to double the part very well, use compression too. you can also be creative and copy some frequency info from another sample of kik or bass guitar to give you some punch..just paste it in under your guitar track where the attact of the 'chug" lives...might require some pissin' around tho.

But as plugins go, Vintage Warmer does great work with guitar tracks.

As someone who has a cheapshit guitar, let me tell you, you can pull your hair out trying to make it sound like a nice chunky pro guitar sound. There is a little free plugin called JCM900 (comes with a bunch of other stuff, including a fender twin simul, and it's FREE!)that does a pretty good job emulating a 4x12 cab, and it's easy to use too. Guitar Rig is wicked, but it is really finiky and huge...I have also had good success at times with Amplitube.

For the JCM900 other free guitar VST's:
http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

Hope that helps a bit...

:!:
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

i have a feeling that Glenn's methods won't work for mere mortals.

-craig
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Hoblit wrote:record clean and add the amplification via emulator.
The problem with that is there's no sound reinforcement while you're performing. Playing with a clean sound isn't the same as playing with a reverbed, compressed to hell, distorted, delayed sound. You get a different performance depending on what you're hearing.

Same with vocals. If you're going to add delay to the vox, record with some delay turned on, even if you change it later. This does, of course, require that you know what you're going to do beforehand. :P
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

jb wrote:
The problem with that is there's no sound reinforcement while you're performing. Playing with a clean sound isn't the same as playing with a reverbed, compressed to hell, distorted, delayed sound. You get a different performance depending on what you're hearing.
You can get a 1/4 splitter, put one into your mixer, and the other into a guitar amp. This has the added benefit of feedback if you want it.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Thanks Josh,

so simple, but exactly what I need to do!
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Umm..... I'm very surprised no one has mentioned this....

Palm-mute. Do it. It makes the bassy chunky shit come out. It'll be hard to do it right if you're hearing a clean guitar sound as you're doing it, though. I really suggest either getting a distortion pedal, or just turning up the gain on your guitar amp, and turning the volume level down. Then, tweak eq to get the sound you want.

But yes, palm-muting is very useful for metal-ass riffs. Not so great for solos, but they make riffs golden. (See my cover of your MTS ;))
🤠
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

The Sober Irishman wrote:
1. Palm-mute. Do it.

2. just turning up the gain on your guitar amp, and turning the volume level down. Then, tweak eq to get the sound you want.

(See my cover of your MTS ;))
1. Wasn't mentioned because it something that is universially known. I had assumed he would palm mute the parts he wanted to sound palm muted and not the parts that he didn't.

2. Hmm, where did you learn that little trick? :lol:
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

jb wrote:
JB, that is absolute. I totaly agree. That particular suggestion was only a last rate fix in case it had to be resorted to. I learned that...and it took me a while to realize that I wasn't playing nearly as hard or tight when I would play clean and distort it later. It helps to hear the end result in real time..which is why I'd re-inforce the distortion effect to come BEFORE the computer. Especially with that particular effect.

Sometimes I tool around with all kinds of effects ...then just do the distortion and add those effects with pin point digital milisecond accuracy after the track has been recorded. Distortion is about the only effect that I currently add before the recording goes to tape. (outside of EQ and compression that is)