Help, my bit-depth is too high!

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy
Pronouns: he/him

Help, my bit-depth is too high!

Post by Future Boy »

Hey kids, I've got a bunch of 24-bit WAV files. However, my soundcard does not support 24-bit audio so I need to convert them to 16-bit WAV files. What is the easiest way to do this? My audio conversion program does not have 24-bit WAV as an option, so it doesn't even know how to read them.
Last edited by Future Boy on Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Hey,

You need to dither!

Not knowing your set-up, I'm not sure what to tell you. Do you have an audio/wav editing program that may have dithering capabilities? I've found that with some you can do a "save as" and just choose 16 bit vs. 24. Good luck.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Yeah, what Ken said! Also, maybe your CD burning software will recognize the files, because creating an audio CD will give you a 16bit file, then rip it from the CD. If you time it I'd like to know if a search on download.com for free utilities would be faster :)
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
UnDesirable
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro, Orion Basic
Submitting as: UnDesirable, Farmer Doom

Post by UnDesirable »

http://www.analogx.com/contents/downloa ... totune.htm
Analogx has a freeware program that will deal with this. Just make sure you leave the box that says note blank or it will change the pitch of your sample. It also works best with short samples and not whole songs.
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Future Boy »

My problem is that I don't have a program that will even open them, excepting WinAmp. However, WinAmp doesn't burn CDs. Nero claims that they are the wrong format, so I can't burn a CD with that. I'll look on download.com, I guess.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Maybe a little of the old "too little, too late" here, but the Quicktime player app from Apple can do it, if you've got a registered version (or the always easy to find reg codes).

Or hell, post 'em and ask someone to do it for you, hey? Someone's gotta have the bandwidth.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Future Boy »

Well, I managed a work around for my problem. Turns out I could trick Sonar into importing the files if I told it I had a 24-bit audio card. It would complain that the card didn't support 24-bit audio every time I imported or exported audio, but that's all. So I was able to switch the bit-depth and trim the silence out of each file this way. It sure took a lot longer than a batch processor though.