Free Plug ins

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
UnDesirable
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro, Orion Basic
Submitting as: UnDesirable, Farmer Doom

Post by UnDesirable »

http://www.jackdark.net/darkware.html

This guy's got some weird glitch and bit crushing effects. I have actually found more effects from this guy but it seems he is taking them off the net, so you should grab this before they dissappear.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

http://mitglied.lycos.de/mbplugins/

A bunch of VST plugs from EQ and Compressors to Delays and effects.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

UnDesirable wrote:http://www.jackdark.net/darkware.html

This guy's got some weird glitch and bit crushing effects. I have actually found more effects from this guy but it seems he is taking them off the net, so you should grab this before they dissappear.
Testikill (a band I'm in) has been making extensive use of these for our upcoming album. Great stuff.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

IK Multimedia is proud to offer users a fully functioning demo version of AmpliTube 2, currently available for download from the AmpliTube 2 website.

The AmpliTube 2 demo version will work for 30 starts and 10 days, offering a full trial of all the precision modeled amps, stomps, EQs and other guitar hardware (Over 80 models) included in AmpliTube 2. The demo version grants access to more than 20,000 guitar amp and FX combinations, just like the full version of AmpliTube 2, with all of the same features.

http://www.amplitube.com/MainPhp.html?N ... php&Id=544
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

ken wrote:IK Multimedia is proud to offer users a fully functioning demo version of AmpliTube 2, currently available for download from the AmpliTube 2 website.
Looks like you need a dongle:

Owners of the iKey or any other Syncrosoft USB dongle will be able to enjoy this demo version of IK's advanced guitar amp and effects processor plug-in right now. The AmpliTube 2 demo version is only available to users equipped with any Syncrosoft USB dongle or iKey. The Syncrosoft Key can be found in many recent software packages (from IK, Steinberg, Arturia, Korg, Vienna), through any traditional music dealers or can be purchased separately online. If you do not currently have a Syncrosoft Key installed in your computer at the time of installation, the AmpliTube 2 demo version will not be properly activated and will not run.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Vanilla Compressor

The Vanilla Compressor is a general-purpose, stereo compressor plugin, with optional sidechain input. It can be used on individual instruments, across aux busses, or even as a mastering effect.

The Vanilla Compressor is currently in the alpha stage, and is free to download and evaluate.

http://www.chunkware.com/?page_id=4

ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

http://www.reaper.fm/

So Reaper seems to be everyone's favorite freeware recording/mixing software. I think both Bradsucks and fluffy have used it.

fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

ken wrote:http://www.reaper.fm/

So Reaper seems to be everyone's favorite freeware recording/mixing software. I think both Bradsucks and fluffy have used it.
I have never heard of it.
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

MrRay 73

A modeller of the Fender Mark I. No samples, but that doesn't stop it from being the best sounding synth of this type I've ever heard, free or not.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

http://www.gvst.co.uk/index.htm

This site contains several free VST effects and instruments for Windows. For the main part they are designed to be simple, light-weight and efficient, although some are more ambitious and some more experimental.

ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php

CamelCrusher is a free versatile 'colouring' multi-effect plugin. It offers two characteristically different distortion sounds which can be blended together to create a wide variety of tones and textures. Great for guitars, drums and plenty more!

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

obscurity wrote:
fluffy wrote:The Inspire also comes with a bunch of pretty cool plugins, including some from the Pluggo collection. I'm having lots of fun with Feedback Network right now, and Resonation is really cool. Expect future Sockpuppet songs to be full of weird. :D
It turns out Pluggo Jr. is a free download (here) that has 12 plugins, including both of those. I'm planning on having a tinker with 'em later this evening :)
Saw this in another thread, thought I'd cross post it over here, for future reference. Mac and PC versions available. I'm downloading them now, so I don't know what specific plug-ins it has or how good they are...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Most of them are just things which are already provided better by Logic et al. Feedback Network and Resonator were the only two I found at all interesting. Though it also has an ultra-fine-grained graphic equalizer (called Spectral Curve or something) which can do some pretty interesting things too.

Might be useful for lower-end software packages which don't come with the basics though.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

fluffy wrote:Most of them are just things which are already provided better by Logic et al. Feedback Network and Resonator were the only two I found at all interesting. Though it also has an ultra-fine-grained graphic equalizer (called Spectral Curve or something) which can do some pretty interesting things too.
The full package has a bunch of things that look like they might be neat, too. That full package costs two hundred dollars, though.

Documentation seems pretty good, and folks who are less savvy than fluffy might find some educational value there. "Generic Effect," for example, could hardly have a less interesting name, but it does a lot of different things from a simple foundation.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

The thing I didn't like about the free version was that most of them have such pointless names. Nebula (forget what that does), Jet (auto fuzz-wah). Yay inscrutability.

Oh well. They are actually quite good filters, if you need their functionality.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

ken wrote:http://www.reaper.fm/

So Reaper seems to be everyone's favorite freeware recording/mixing software.
I've been playing with this recently and it's pretty nice. Mixing is especially neat; the routing options are more or less limitless.

The included Jesusonic effects suite is... interesting. It's a do-anything fx processor that is fully programmable at the source code level. If you can imagine it, you can do it. Unfortunately I have no imagination, so I can't say for sure, but it is probably worth a look.

Reaper isn't free any more. Versions 1.0 and up are cheap shareware, but older (free) versions are still available.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I've been playing with the Pluggo free stuff for a while and I found that there are two major problems with them for any serious work:

1. Some of them are nondeterministic (feedback network, for example), so you can't ever get the same mixdown twice (which seems neat in theory but in practice it makes for a very frustrating experience)
2. They don't provide all of their settings to the host app, meaning the settings only persist until you close your file or the plugins get reloaded for some reason (e.g. switching projects). In Resonator this is particularly bad, since the default settings are equivalent to muting the track.

So these things seem okay for a one-time processing of a track, but they're not very good in any serious mixing engine.

This applies to the AudioUnit versions, anyway. The VST versions might be better but Logic only comes with AU support out of the box and I don't think I have anything which supports VST. obscurity, I know you use Cubase... do you have these same problems?

I found that just using a long chain of multiple tape delay effects could give much the same results as Resonator (though it's a bit harder to set up, but you can also get cooler stuff out of it too), and I have a feeling that Feedback Network could also be simulated via tape delay and liberal use of track automation.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Fluffy, I just did a test with Resonation VST (is that the one you meant?) in Live, in windows.. it seems to recall all settings.

Regarding nondeterministic plugins: How is the track freeze in Logic? Live 6 calls theirs "deep freeze" -- Not only can you edit your frozen tracks quite a bit, you can actually drag frozen clips to audio tracks and proceed to treat them as raw audio. (then unfreeze the midi track and repeat, ad nauseum).

-craig
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Resonation is what I meant, yes.

Logic does support bouncing to a new audio clip which you can then bring into the mix, but setting a bounce up can be annoying, and you can't hear how it sounds relative to the rest of the song. Logics freezes are specifically meant as an optimization to the mixing engine and I don't think freezes persist across sessions, though I haven't played with them much. Maybe logic's freeze function does exactly what I want - who knows?
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

miniTERA

Post by starfinger »

<a href="http://audiomidi.com">audiomidi.com</a> has a promotion going with virsyn, where they'll send you miniTERA for free if you buy *any* product in the store.

i got my copy today, and while it's not totally flexible, you can do a lot with it, it has some very unique features, and the sound is really great.

I got mine for the price of a $1.29 pen and shipping.

-craig
Last edited by starfinger on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Kick ass. I need new monitor headphones anyway, so I picked up a pair of AKGs while I was at it. I don't need any more pens.