Adapters and such

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Adapters and such

Post by the Jazz »

I'm just wondering, has anyone ever encountered a y-adapter that goes from female stereo mini to two male mono 1/4" phono plugs? 'Cause I have a stereo microphone with a mini plug that I use to record on minidisc, and to use it to record on my computer (it's the only non-crap mic I have) I have to run it into the minidisc player, patch cord out the headphone jack, to a cable that splits it into two mono RCA's, with RCA-to-1/4" adapters on 'em, into the motu 828. It's kind of a mess. I've been to a couple of electronics stores (even Radio Shack) and haven't seen anything better yet.

The upside of which is that at least I don't have to use the built-in laptop mic anymore.
Let cake eat them.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I've got a male stereo mini to two male mono 1/4" phono plugs.
You might be able to find one of those and get a stereo mini female on both ends, and just never take them apart.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

That sounds pretty specialized. You're probably better off wiring up something yourself using Radio Shack parts. (Remember, tip = left, ring = right, sleeve = ground.)

Though once upon a time I had something which was female 1/8" on one end and stereo RCA on the other. I think it came with a soundcard. Try to find one of those and then plug in two RCA->1/4" into it and you'll have what you want. Convertors aren't inherently evil as long as you have a clean, solid connection. Of course, active electronics like the minidisc can be problematic.

Another thought is you could just record mic->minidisc to get a good take, and then transfer from minidisc->computer separately. Not so good if you're multitracking, though. But for <a href="http://quietamerican.org/">found recordings</a> it works a lot better than lugging a computer and 828 around the English countryside. :D