Reverb Units

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Reverb Units

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Anyone have any experience with the Alesis PicoVerb ($79 US)? Expanding the rig to include a mixer which has an FX loop/bus/thingy, and thought a hardware reverb might be a better thing to include than the software stuff I'm currently abusing. On one hand, I know I get what I pay for, but on the other, that's low enough to be extremely attractive if it doesn't half suck.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

I have used the Alesis Quadraverb and that wasn't bad, just give you an idea of what I thought of Alesis reverbs. Not sure where the picoverb stands on the Alesis pecking order. Don't expect it to be a 224x though.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

We use the predecessor to this model for practice, the MicroVerb, and it's not half bad. I've never used it for recording though, so it's hard to say about that. At least it's 24 bit vs. the 16 bit MicroVerb. I guess it comes down to your application. If you're looking for just a bit of a wash over type reverb effect or basic delay, this will probably meet your needs. If your looking for something just a little more lush and realistic sounding, the Lexicon M110 and the TC Electronic M300 might fit the bill for around $199.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward
Pronouns: he/him

Post by joshw »

I've only used their... MIDIVerb, I think? And that is in a live setting. It's not bad, but I think you'd be better off springing for a good software reverb. They sound better and they're a whole lot easier to work with. Waves' reverbs are stellar.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

The Quadraverb 2 and Roland GP-100 are what I use for hardware effects. You can hear the two of them on ... all my SF tracks, pretty much. Haven't tried the one you're asking about, though. I do like the immediacy of hardware effects, but it's harder to set up patches using the little wheel and buttons than on a software effect.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

i've got the alesis Microverb 4 and a Midiverb 3. The Microverb 4 i bought many years ago to use with my fourtrack, so it doesn't get much use these days. I break it out occaisonally for people who need reverb on their vocals to sing and I used it for a cool drum effect in LD's coverfight entry. It is good, and I am glad i have it for those instances. I'd rather use the software stuff I have now for my mixes though. there is so much good stuff.

I'd be happy to sell you the Midiverb 3 if you are interested.

Be well,
Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

You guys rock, thanks! I love this place. :D
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

hey guys, remember, where possible please put up a demo mp3 of whatever you're talking about. if you don't have hosting space for a demo, let me know and we'll host it on sf.net

jb
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

good idea, jb. hey rabid, if you want demos of my stuff i can make some tonight. let me know.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

hey bill, no, I think I'm good, thanks.

Although that does bring up an interesting point: There could be a reference piece of music/song available here in dry form, broken into tracks that can be used by anyone to illustrate examples and effects and mixing techniques and such, y'know?

Sort of a baseline thing, since we're all running very different rigs, software, and all those other variables.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:hey bill, no, I think I'm good, thanks.

Although that does bring up an interesting point: There could be a reference piece of music/song available here in dry form, broken into tracks that can be used by anyone to illustrate examples and effects and mixing techniques and such, y'know?

Sort of a baseline thing, since we're all running very different rigs, software, and all those other variables.
Hey that's a pretty great idea! PAGING BRAD.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

There's a lot of variables to consider so if this baseline thing happens, people should be sure to clearly state "I used the fifth variation of this type of plate effect with the mix set on the device @ 50% and subbed to the mains through my" well you get the idea.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

I've got a lexicon unit, and it's pretty fun. At the club there are three reverb units at my disposal: the same lexicon, a Yamaha spx, and an alesis midiverb. The midiverb is pretty much all I use up there. Jillions of settings, and it's easy to customize shit.

Example: I often customize the delay on it. I estimate the bpm of whatever the band is playing, and it usually comes out pretty close. ~100bpm will do pretty well for most tempos as long as the tap decay is reasonably fast.

Anyways, the midiverb is an awesome unit, very versatile. But, my crappy lexicon thing serves me well at home.

But I would say, for home recording, stick with software reverb. You'll have more control, and everything will be more managable.
🤠
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Listen to some of Sober's early fights for some excellent use of reverb.

:lol: :evil: :twisted:

I have a Digitech Studio Quad 4 with some decent reverbs on it, but I just use software nowadays. There are numerous free reverb plugins. The only one I have tried is <a href="http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/">Ambience</a>. It sounds good, but is quite a hog.

-craig
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

starfinger wrote:Listen to some of Sober's early fights for some excellent use of reverb.
Har har har.
🤠