Video Editing Software and PC Video Cards

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Video Editing Software and PC Video Cards

Post by thehipcola »

So I've got a camera that records movies. I'm thinking~ HEY! Let's make music videos.

But this isn't as simple as one might expect.

I'd like to know if any of you do this, and what software you use to do it with. Also include, if you know, any tips or tricks you may have picked up.

I'm equipped with a stock on-board video card and software that came with my camera (Canon) called Video Impressions. It doesn't seem to easy to use for making edits and syncing audio to it. This is why I'm asking....

Thoughts?

(Sorry if this inappropriate for the SF boards, but I figure it's music related)

:)
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Find a pirated copy of Adobe Premier, if you like it... then you should pay for it of course.

*Hoblit shuffles feet and whistles
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Be meticulous in how you want it to look before shooting. Map out your shots, and make sure you get them all right. It doesn't matter if you have overlap in video (oh no, I've got three different video portions for the first line of the second chorus!), because you can edit things together in strange and creative ways later. Now.

Once that's done, pretty much any editing software will do. Adobe Premiere is relatively cheap. I use Avid at work, but that's state of the art stuff, and hella-expensive. Most systems here at college use Final Cut or Final Cut Express. They're surprisingly similar.

The tricky part would be making everything sync with the music. If people are going to be singing to the music, then you should take my first paragraph especially to heart, but before doing any of that crap, have your editing software capture the song with timecode, and mark where in the song/timecode you're going to want to put your cuts. Then, as annoying an meticulous as it's going to be when you're doing it, you're going to want to set your camera's timecode manually to line up with the captured piece (or be at least very close) before each shot. The closer you are when shooting, the easier editing will be.

Of course, you could do it the easy way by making a music video that doesn't include singing. In that case, you could probably just import a wav or mp3 of the song into your editing software and slap stuff together till you think it looks pretty.

I have edited literary panels and lawyer commercials, and I'm working on editing my roommate's suspense film, but I've never done music videos. I'm just speculating how I'd tackle it (and I might).
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

i've been working on music video stuff for a while now. i don't have a camera, so everything is generated on my computer. i use vegas video 5.0.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Is there a way we could see some samples?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

I've been actually thinking about making Flash Based web Music videos for a few song fight songs that I like. Currently I'm making storyboards for State Shirt's Hey Ruth... but it is still just a concept. Nothing to show yet.
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Hey thanks everyone!

I've obtained a trial copy of Adobe Premiere, tried to use it, but found that the resulting "monitor" is so slow and choppy that I can't edit to word specific cuts for singing.

Would this be a function of having an onboard stock video card, and if so, can anyone recommend a better but reasonably priced alternative?

Thanks again!

PinV
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

I used Final Cut a month or two ago for the first time, and it was surprisingly easy to get going. If you're on a PC, I guess you probably want to use Premiere.

Edit: in Final Cut, you get a waveform that you can edit to. I thought it was like that in Premiere too, but I guess not.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

Generic wrote:Is there a way we could see some samples?
i'm not sure if this is directed towards me, but if so: not right now. everything's pretty basic experimentation so far. i plan to work on it a lot over winter break. i might work on it this weekend, too, though, now that this thread has interested again. when i get some stuff worth showing, i'll show it.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

forgive this dummy question, I'm sure I know the answer..but I'll ask anyway.

If I buy a better video card, will the playback and editing, filtering and effects processing be taken over by this card? Thereby relieving my P3 1 ghz processor of those tasks, and hopefully resulting in better performance from both the PC overall and video work as well?

(not to mention I might be able to play a video game more recent than the original Doom...)

Thanks!
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

Peaks In Valleys wrote: (not to mention I might be able to play a video game more recent than the original Doom...)
that's the only one worth playing anyway, dude.
jute gyte
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Might be out there, might not, but for the sync'ing alone (not video editing) Cubase (well, okay, the cheap-ass Cubasis version from the '90s, which I'm still using) has a nifty sync to video function. I'm assuming the capability hasn't left the grown up versions of the software yet.

Or am I misremembering your sequencer of choice?
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

Jute: word. Meybe that's why my interest died off... :)

Rabid G: Yup, you remember correctly. And in fact I did "score" a little hallowe'en horror short I did with my camera to send to friends in it, worked brilliantly. I'm hoping to bring the game to the next level though, video-wise. You know get some cool edits timed with the music and such, but my system seems so slow I can't get that precise.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Peaks In Valleys wrote: If I buy a better video card, will the playback and editing, filtering and effects processing be taken over by this card? Thereby relieving my P3 1 ghz processor of those tasks, and hopefully resulting in better performance from both the PC overall and video work as well?
I think it's likely. In a couple weeks I'll be doing a massive video card upgrade (ATI rage 128 -> ATI radeon 9000) and I'll let you know how my system improves.

And then you can expect no songs whatsoever out of me as I genocide my time playing Halo, Doom 3, and World of Warcraft, am forced to sell my gear to support my video game habit and, after hitting rock bottom, start a heroin addiction to break free.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I am about to start editing the Songfight UK live footage from two sources (video) and with a few stills thrown in for good measure. I have access to Adobe Premier.

Being a relative novice to this software, are there any handy tips and shortcuts that people have come across specific to it? Or boards you would reccommend? I understand how it works in principle, and I can tie the various slices together OK but I want it to look as professional as I can, and, basically, I'm not (a professional that is)

Just wond'rin', like.

j$
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

i'm mystified by the huge array of choice in video cards, but I'm considering the ATI Sapphire Radeon 9200se, 128MB.

Does anyone in the know have anything bad to say about this card?

Cheers!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

The choppiness may not have anything to do with your video card. Before you invest in new hardware, make sure that that's the problem. I recently upgraded to a screaming fast machine with a lot more RAM in it, only to find that my audio was choppy all the time. Which was totally weird. I finally discovered it was because I have two hard drives, and if the audio was stored on a different drive than the application processing it, I'd get chopping. As soon as I moved my project to the same physical drive, it all works dreamy.

So anyway, make sure the video card is the culprit before you plunks down yer dollers!
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

Jim of Seattle wrote:I store my audio on the same drive as my applications (and, most likely, my swap file).
<center>Image</center>

Everything I know about disk scheduling algorithms tells me that your computer exists in the fantastical shadow land know as The Twilight Zone.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Puce wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:I store my audio on the same drive as my applications (and, most likely, my swap file).
<center>hahaha</center>

Everything I know about disk scheduling algorithms tells me that your computer exists in the fantastical shadow land know as The Twilight Zone.
I have to say, I've found the same in my setup. Weird, huh?
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I wonder if there's anything about different IDE controllers. Or SCSI or whatever. Maybe it's sending the data across a bunch of busses. I'm making stuff up.
What is the setup you guys have?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Yeah, my primary drive is serial, and my slave is IDE. The computer setup guy said that might have something to do with why it was acting weird. This gets into the realm of "Computer Things I Don't Understand". (A very large realm, by the way.)
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Yeah, my primary drive is serial, and my slave is IDE.
That might explain it. The choppiness is from your audio buffer not being filled fast enough, which is predominantly caused by frequent hard-drive seeks. Storing your audio on a secondary drive is usually the solution to this problem, as opposed to the cause.

*Que Spooky Music*