Signal processing upgrades

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.

Which is the best option (read below first)

Buy C1 and sell Fat 1 and voicemaster
No votes
Buy dbx 386 and sell voicemaster, keep Fat 1
No votes
Buy a second voicemaster
No votes
Buy EQ-1 and sell voicemaster, keep Fat 1
100%

Total votes: 1
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Signal processing upgrades

Post by Bell Green »

Hi guys, need your help here with some signal processing decisions. My goal is to upgrade my outboard signal processing equipment with the minimum of cost, but without compromising on quality and durability. I want equipment that is useful in all the stages of production i.e. tracking, mixing and mastering. The more I think about it, the more confused I seem to get and seem to be going around in circles, so a little outside or objective input would be much appreciated.

The pre-amps on my m-audio omni unit are not bad, but now that I have upgraded to the Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster, I can hear a big difference. But that's only one channel. Not ideal for recording acoustic guitar. That being my main instrument, I want to focus my budget there. At the moment, I am using a large diaphragm condenser close miced and then a room mic (pzm). The room mic is recorded simultaneously of course, but goes through the omni pre-amp. It's not bad, and the room itself sounds quite nice, so I kind of get away with it. But what I'd like to do is to get a pair of pencil mics and stereo mic the guitar. I don't want to use the omni pre-amps to do this, (it's a start I guess), but go through a couple of decent mic pres. But . . . which ones?

I have boiled it down to four options. And these take into consideration my other needs of mixing and mastering. All equipment considered would be second hand to keep costs low as I just got married this year and I'm broke(ish).

1) Buy a TL-audio C1 compressor and sell my existing TL-audio fat 1 and the aforementioned voicemaster. This would give me two really nice valve pre-amps, a very nice compressor upgrade and recoup a few costs. I would lose some of the facilities offered on the voicemaster, but I only really ever use the expander anyway. The C1 would do a great mastering job as well.

2) Buy a dbx 386 dual valve pre-amp, with digital output. Not only do I upgrade my pre-amps, but also my A/D converters. Sell my voicemaster, but keep the Fat 1. The Fat 1 is currently the one used for all compression purposes. It's very nice. Could even sell the omni because all I'd need then would be a basic sound card with spdif. But then the omni is a very flexible i/o option that could be greatly missed. Cost of option 2 is roughly the same as option 1.

3) Buy a second voicemaster. They are cheap second hand because the voicemaster pro has come out. My existing one needs a service, but focusrite haven't got back to me yet about estimated costs. Even including the cost of repairs this option would be about 20% cheaper than the above two. I do find the voicemaster a bit "too clean" but that can be remedied by inserting the Fatman into the signal path. As you have heard, I can overdo that a bit. It also means that I can work with a unit that I am used to, but no chance to mess around with new toys.

4) A mastering engineer I once worked with summed it up by saying that you have to make it louder and brighter. He was using really esoteric stuff, with cable costing £1000 a metre and even the pots on the eq unit cost more than that. Anyway, the two main bits of equipment were a compressor and an equaliser. A decent equaliser is something I hadn't thought about initially, but would be very useful if not necessary in all parts of the production process. My choice would be the TL-audio EQ-1. No longer produced but available second hand. It has two mic pre-amps, which I guess are the same as the ones in the C1. I keep the fatman and I sell the voicemaster. Costs 20% more than options 1 and 2. Valve eq and all my problems solved, or so you would think.

So, there you have it. Maybe I'll do a poll as I've never done a poll. I'll say no more about it and await the comments. What say you?
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Option 1, only because that's the one you seem the most keen on. I dunno anything about these gadgets. But from your description, it seems like the other options aren't focused on your problem as well as option 1.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy