Alesis 1622 & my computer don't like each other

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
voh
A New Player

Alesis 1622 & my computer don't like each other

Post by voh »

I've recently gotten (gotten, yes. I wouldn't have paid for the damn thing) an Alesis 1622 mixer. It's not the best, but eh, for an old analogue mixer it fares well enough.

However, though, I have a problem. When I hook it up either to my guitar amp or my regular home-and-kitchen amp, it works fine. Output's consistent and without crackle (unless I revolve gain to ear-bleeding mode). However, I am utterly unable to get any kind of output to be accepted by my soundcard. I've even tried it on my laptop, but to no avail.

I know it's working due to the amp stuff. I know I can record from both the line-in and the mic, so they're not broken either. But why is it that it won't fecking work? Is it because the output is too... whatever it might be, for the soundcard to input?

Really would enjoy some help :(
I am not cod.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

hmmm...that makes no sense. If you are using an analogue mixer... AND you know the sound is traveling through cable... it has to be the sound card.

UNLESS you are using different cables in your test to the amps.

TURN everything WAY DOWN... and make sure you are using a line level out to the sound card.

I don't know if fancy sound cards do anything to protect themselves from too much sound trying to enter it...but maybe yours does? Thats just shooting from the hip. I mean to suggest that it might have some sort of protective mechanism that keeps it from blowing up or catching on fire when confronted with too much power.

/pretending to know what I'm talking about
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Re: Alesis 1622 & my computer don't like each other

Post by erik »

voh wrote:But why is it that it won't fecking work?
What was your setup like before you got the mixer? How did you get music into your computer?

Have you recorded things using your soundcard before? If so, what things were hooked up to the soundcard?

What program do you use to record on your computer with?
voh
A New Player

Post by voh »

Quite simply, I have a mic plugged into the mic-in. I've recorded from VHS tapes (old stuff, don't ask) through the line-in. Both worked perfectly, even though recording off of VHS is bloody hell.

I use Audacity to record, but even de-muting the line-in doesn't relay any sound to my system. It's getting to be quite... Frustrating, at best, but I wouldn't know what to do about it. I'm not a whizz. This is the first time I've been able to touch a mixer without somebody slapping my hand away and whinign about how delicate the setup was before I twisted all the knobs to the right.

I used the same cable, so the cable shouldn't be a problem. I hooked the soundcard's line-in to the alesis headphone out (sadly don't have any other cables atm. Never expected to have a need for a mixer at this point in time), and it just won't work. Unplugging the cable from the soundcard to the amp works flawlessly. So the signal is there, the cable is transporting it, it even flops out like it should.

With everything but my soundcard. I bet I could get my teddy bear to produce sound when plugged into the mixer easier than this piece of shit soundcard.

Oh, and another thing, it's not an expensive one, it's a simple Soundblaster 128 :)
I am not cod.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Try a stereo adapter or pulling the end halfway out of the jack...

It might have something to do with the sound card in...whether or not the end is stereo or mono and the in being either or. I had to get adapters to be able to run my vcr through my sound card on this computer to be able to watch tv on it. I used to get frustrated with it coming all the way out when I had it delicately balanced halfway out. I broke down and bought mono to stereo adapters and haven't cried since.

I'm not sure if this is your problem...but it's an idea I'm tossing up in case it's something like that. *SMILEY*
johnpuzzle
A New Player
Submitting as: John Puzzle

Post by johnpuzzle »

Hi! I hope this helps; Try to connect your computer with the mixing console using unbalanced TRS cables (mono jacks). As far as i know the Alesis 1622 it has balanced inputs only in the "mic input" section and the "line in" section is unbalanced.

If this doesn't work please post a reply with the exact name of the sound card you're using and i shall find a solution for you. Bye now! :D
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

[edit]
*sigh* fuck, am I dumb.
Last edited by signboy on Wed May 14, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
obscurity
Mean Street
Instruments: Keyboards (88-note and qwerty), guitar, bass & edrums.
Recording Method: Pod X3 Live & Yamaha 01X -> Cubase 5 & Komplete 5
Submitting as: soon as I see a title that inspires me.

Post by obscurity »

You're replying to posts from 2004. Don't you think he's solved his problem by now?
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde.