media players sound different (or, why does WMP suck?)

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Poor June
Panama

media players sound different (or, why does WMP suck?)

Post by Poor June »

i made my song dear dora right... no clipping in real-player... works fine in aol media player... and myspace player plays it alright with minimum clipping at one part if turned up too loud...

but.... windows media player... it clips and sounds like crud all the way through... and i have no clue why the huge difference... and i was wonderin' if anyone may know what is causing that???

<b>ADMIN SEZ: I edited the title of this thread. Poor June, try to get two thoughts together in that strange head of yours and help <i>us</i> help <i>you</i> by using complete sentences. Your style is not amusing. Lay off the pipe for a couple days maybe.</b>
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Re: media players sound different (or, why does WMP suck?)

Post by erik »

If you really can't figure out what the OP is saying, after accounting for capitalization and punctuation, Poor June pretty much wrote:I have recorded a song called "Dear Dora" that you can hear if you click here (it's the third song down the page)

When I play the song using Real-player, there is no clipping. The song also plays fine in AOL Media Player. Using Myspace Player, the song plays alright (with minimum clipping at one part if turned up too loud.)

But in Windows Media Player, it clips and sounds like crud all the way through. Why is there such a huge difference between media players? What accounts for the clipping in my song when played on WMP?
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Sober »

Erik's "E-Z Pothead-to-coherent Translator" is available now for three easy payments of 29.99! Call now!
🤠
deshead
Panama

Re: media players sound different (or, why does WMP suck?)

Post by deshead »

Poor June wrote:and i was wonderin' if anyone may know what is causing that???
WMP sounds a 'click' when it sees a digitally clipped waveform (which is arguably an accurate behaviour,) whereas Winamp and the others you mentioned detect digital clipping and lower the volume of the peak to prevent the click. So on the face of it, WMP is better for checking mixes because it won't hide any of these errors.

However, WMP's equalizer is crap. It allows you to push safe levels beyond the point of clipping, and will then play the clipped waves as clicks and pops (even though it's responsible for causing the clip.) In the case of Dear Dora, there's no clipping in the file. (Your peak level is -0.4DBfs at 1:42). However, I can make it sound like ass in WMP by pushing the bottom two faders of the graphic EQ.

So maybe you've got a bad EQ preset engaged?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

My guess would also be a bad EQ setup.