for all you mac people

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

for all you mac people

Post by ken »

this is dope yo!

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/20 ... cPlug.html

cheap and easy to use.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Doesn't say this is limited to Macs, in fact it should work with any PC.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Of course, it's rather hard to rock out while tethered by a 3' USB cable.

On the topic of music-related Mac faggery, though, the newly-announced Mac Mini is basically a turnkey recording system for only $500. Just add an audio input box of some sort (like a Tascam US-224/428 or your favorite piece of overpriced M-Audio gear or whatever, or even one of the USB guitar amp things Ken originally posted about) and you'll have a complete recording system, software included - GarageBand 2.0 looks like it's bridged the gap between fun toy and serious recording software.

Obviously there's still a lot of things it doesn't do which Logic or Cubase do, but it finally adds things I've been holding my breath for like multitrack recording, freezing/rendering tracks, and staff-based notation, and it also includes some fun pitch correction tools as well.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

fluffy wrote:On the topic of music-related Mac faggery
Heh.

I'm a PC guy through-and-through, but the Mac Mini makes me drool.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Well, yeah, I think that's the idea - finally give people a reason to buy a Mac who normally wouldn't have bought one. Barebones minimal Mac, cheap-ass $500 computer which will show people how much better Mac stuff is than similarly-priced PC equivalents.

The only thing which annoys me is that it's only a year ago that I paid that much for an old used G4/450 tower. :D
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

How does the Mac Mini compare to the $500 Linspire laptop from http://www.walmart.com?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Let's see... Mac Mini: runs OSX, comes with great entry-level DAW software out of the box, has high-quality components, is practically silent, and has a 1.25GHz G4 which is enough for mid-level audio work.

Linspire laptop: runs Linspire, arguably the crappiest Linux distribution *ever*, and doesn't have any decent DAW available period, made out of the cheapest crappiest parts which no other OEMs want to use which is why they're so inexpensive. Has a low-end processor. Oh, but it comes with the crappiest (non-upgradeable) built-in LCD and keyboard and touchpad...

If you already have a monitor and keyboard and mouse and don't need a laptop, go with the Mac Mini. If you don't have that stuff and/or really want a laptop, the iBook G4 is also a great deal (and is actually a bit faster than the Mac Mini since it has a faster memory bus).