Rode M3 Condenser Mic

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Rode M3 Condenser Mic

Post by Caravan Ray »

I'm thinking of upgrading to a condenser mic and saw the Rode M3 at the local shop at a reasonable price.

Anyone have any comments for or against?

I use a mic for vocals and recording acoustic guitar. I currently use a cheap Peavey dynamic mic for both jobs. Particularly with respect to the guitar recording - my old mic probably is a bit below par.

I want a one-size-fits- all mic to do both jobs. I know that is probably not the best way to go about it, but
a) I am to cheap to fork out for 2 mics,
and most importantly
b) I couldn't be arsed continually unplugging/plugging mics for different applications. I just want to set the thing up and forget about it

So, is the Rode M3 a good option for me? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

BTW - what is the general difference between the fat condensers and skinny condensers?
I get the impression the fat ones are for vocals and the skinny ones for instruments. Is that right? Generally, I am reasonably happy with how my current mic does vocals, but I think it is a bit dodgy picking up guitar (and handclaps and tamborines and stuff like that), so that is why I am looking at a skinny condenser. And all the reviews of that mic say it is good for vox too - so I am hoping it will be OK as a general all-purpose mic.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Re: Rode M3 Condenser Mic

Post by frankie big face »

I haven't used this specific mic, but I have a Rode NT1 and a Rode NTV and they are great. I use the NT1 for overhead drum micing and the NTV for almost everything else. But really, you can use these mics for just about any studio recording application--they're very good and they're going to pick up a lot of things your dynamic mic couldn't. I never use these live because they're a little too sensitive, but I've seen people use them live. I'd keep your Peavey for playing out.

I'm sure other people will have other opinions, but you won't be sorry if you buy a condenser mic for recording.

It's kind of cheesy, but here's a podcast I made for a grad class comparing a Shure dynamic mic with a Rode condenser: http://www.frankiebigface.com/temp/rode_vs_shure.mp3
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

re: Fat vs. Skinny condensers- In my experience, the skinny condensers (small diaphragm) are not good for anything but acoustic guitar miking or drum overheads. They also work great for vocals, if you like your vocals to be brash, thin, and trebly. :wink:
* this is not a disclaimer
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

frankie big face wrote:I never use these live because they're a little too sensitive
So -8 years after starting this thread and buying that mic - I recently dropped my Rode M3 and now it has a bad buzzing noise.

I am guessing it is probably buggered?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Could be repairable. Maybe the capsule came loose, maybe a solder joint failed. Are you handy with a soldering iron?
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

frankie big face wrote:I haven't used this specific mic, but I have a Rode NT1 and a Rode NTV and they are great. I use the NT1 for overhead drum micing and the NTV for almost everything else. But really, you can use these mics for just about any studio recording application--they're very good and they're going to pick up a lot of things your dynamic mic couldn't. I never use these live because they're a little too sensitive, but I've seen people use them live. I'd keep your Peavey for playing out.
No kidding! I've been using the Rode NT1-A for the last two years. I use it for vocals, my acoustic guitar, and various other small instruments like the cajon, tambourine, melodica, harmonica, and mandolin. I've got nothing but good things to say about it. (Sorry, fluffy John, I dn't know specifically about the M3.)

frankie also wrote: It's kind of cheesy, but here's a podcast I made for a grad class comparing a Shure dynamic mic with a Rode condenser: http://www.frankiebigface.com/temp/rode_vs_shure.mp3
I remember that podcast. I used an MXL condenser for a while, and eventually it gave up the ghost (probably because I used it for live gigs and carried it around without a proper case... d'oh!). I opted not to replace the condenser mic, and I'd been using dynamic microphones for my vocals when I first heard your demo. You convinced me to save up for another condenser! I got the MXL 9090 and used that as my primary mic for everything, for about six years, then eventually upgraded to the Rode. It made a ton of difference.
Last edited by JonPorobil on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Why are you apologizing to me? I wasn't asking anything about it. :)

Personally I've been using an MXL V63M as my workhorse for several years. It's not the best mic on the planet but it suits my needs and seems to be adaptable to everything I throw at it. And the price is certainly right on it. Maybe I'll try out a Rode next.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote:Why are you apologizing to me? I wasn't asking anything about it. :)

Personally I've been using an MXL V63M as my workhorse for several years. It's not the best mic on the planet but it suits my needs and seems to be adaptable to everything I throw at it. And the price is certainly right on it. Maybe I'll try out a Rode next.
Because apparently, on the Internet, I can't tell you apart from an obnoxious Aussie. I went and corrected the error.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages