FavIcons for your website - the ones in the browser URL line

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

FavIcons for your website - the ones in the browser URL line

Post by roymond »

I finally got around to implementing the little icon in that appears in browser URL lines for <a href="http://roymond.com" target="new">my website</a>. For anyone who hasn't done this, it's a very powerful branding tool, and generally just pretty cool.

All you do is create a 16x16 pixel image and go to this site: <a href="http://www.html-kit.com/e/favicon.cgi">FavIcon</a>. It will create the icon file and give you the HTML to add to your page's header. Very quick and easy.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Roymond, that is awesome! Seriously cool. :)

[removed unrelated babble talk]
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I've made one for my site, and I think it shows up for other people but I never see it myself.
Which reminds me, since I redesigned I should redo the icon too.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

It appears that you can just create a .bmp file and rename it .ico and it will function the same way. Works fine in netscape / mozilla.

These things apparently don't work in MSIE unless the user saves the page in their "favorites" list, and even then, may not work or may stop working without some serious gyrations. My MSIE doesn't even show the little red "Y" for the Yahoo site, and I'm sure if there was a way to force it to show, they'd have figured it out...

Haven't tried Safari yet... and it may be that a real .ico file contains some extra information that a .bmp doesn't, but a renamed .bmp image does show up in the address line...

Bill, your icon does show up in my netscape browser address line...

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

The .ico format is similar to but not the same as the .bmp format; it supports multiple resolutions in a single file.

Note that you only need to do the <link rel> thing to override the icon on a per-page basis or if you don't have control over the domain as a whole. If you put the file in, say, http://mydomain.com/favicon.ico then most browsers will pick it up by default.

Also, the code that favicon generator isn't quite complete. The full line you need is:

Code: Select all

<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">