Deals On Gear and Software

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Re: Deals On Gear and Software

Post by jast »

The best way to handle important financial decisions is to flip a coin. Obviously.
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

Until 3 Dec, fxpansion offers 50% off on their core products, e.g. BFD3, their drum sampler.
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

Until 2 Dec, UVI is discounting Falcon 2 and most other things by 30% (Falcon 2: $/€349 -> $/€244). Falcon 2 is one of the most flexible modular synths that I'm aware of, including a pretty powerful sampler. If you want to get into sound design and you like maximum flexibility at the cost of a steep learning curve, this is probably one of the best options. As always, the purchase gives you a $/€100 coupon for expansions... which are 30% off right now, too.
I don't think they ever offer it cheaper than this, but they do repeat this deal once or twice per year.

Some of the notable features include:
  • a ton of oscillators (analog, multi-analog, additive, FM, drum, pluck, noise with 15 different noise types, organ, wavetable) and effects (e.g. filters, dynamics, reverbs, distorters, modulation effects) - unlike many others, Falcon can generate guitar and flute type tones. Oscillators and effects are fully stackable/chainable.
  • Various sampler oscillators, e.g. pretty darn good time stretching based on IRCAM and granular synthesis. You can even use an array of similar samples and the sampling engine will seamlessly sweep between them while they are being played (you define the modulation yourself, of course).
  • a scriptable MIDI event processor which allows you to e.g. write your own arpeggiation in Lua, a bunch of scripts are included
  • modulate any parameter in many different ways
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Arturia is offering a Chorus VST for free until 12/29/20:

https://www.arturia.com/freegift-chorus-jun6
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

ken wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:41 am
Arturia is offering a Chorus VST for free until 12/29/20:

https://www.arturia.com/freegift-chorus-jun6
Sweet, thanks for the tip! That should be fun.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

New free Granular Reverb from Audiothing:

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/things-texture/

Just downloaded, seems unusual and interesting!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The topic of room treatment came up recently in Cybronica's thread about monitor speakers and coincidentally the stupid deal of the day today is for a 24-pack of 12"x12"x2" acoustic foam absorption panels for $99, a $140 discount off the normal price. You could try to use these to treat your room to deal with high frequency related issues.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

These blog posts seemed pretty informative to me, about room treatment:

https://www.blackghostaudio.com/blog/ho ... -treatment
https://www.blackghostaudio.com/blog/th ... me-studios
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

iZotope has the "middle" versions of some of their products on sale. These are not the cheap-o pared down versions, nor are they the expensive loaded up versions. They're usually somewhere around $250 but are on sale for $100. At least Ozone (for mastering), Neutron (for mixing), and Nectar (for vocals) are on sale, both directly from iZotope and via resellers. I used the cheap-o version of Ozotope for a good quick basic mastering pass, using it's automatic mastering. Neutron seems interesting to me mostly for the idea of putting it on multiple tracks and using it to help with masking and crowding issues in EQ. Nectar I'm the least familiar with but it aims to provide a one-stop shop suite of tools for making great vocals, and also includes some vocal masking assistance too. (Although, two of the cool features, dynamic masking and sidechain masking, are only in the pro version sadly.) Some of their bundles appear to be on sale too.

https://www.izotope.com/en/shop.html

I'm thinking of upgrading Ozone and maybe trying getting Neutron or Nectar. If anybody is already using Neutron or Nectar I'd be curious to hear what you think of them. Some folks dislike the idea of "assistance" in plugins but I'm lazy and usually operating at breakneck speed so I'm all for it, personally.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

I grabbed a cheap upgrade for Ozone and Neutron recently, packaged together. Mostly for Ozone because the plugins I used to use for "mastering" were no longer being updated, but Neutron seems pretty handy too and I'm definitely not averse to any kind of automated assistance.

I never got anything I liked from the basic version of Nectar though. I'm sure it works for some but when I was trying to figure it out, I always preferred the sound of my voice with just EQ / compression over whatever Nectar was doing.
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

The vocal tuning features of Nectar are extremely basic (even in the advanced version), I'm kind of undecided about the other features but I usually prefer processing the vocals myself. Personally I don't think Nectar is worth the money. That said, Ozone is pretty darn good (though not exactly a necessity for making music), and I guess Neutron is a worthwhile pick if you don't want to learn to do it yourself. ;)

If you're considering getting both Ozone and Neutron, note that for just about the same price you get Mix & Master Bundle which also includes Tonal Balance Control 2 - which is more of a small utility plugin, but still. (If you ever pull the plug too early and notice a bundle like that too late, there's a very good chance you can ask their support to fix it up for you and/or make a customized offer for you. They're quite helpful in my experience.)
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Klōs guitars have now released a nice-looking travel-friendly electric guitar and bass. I have one of their original acoustic travel guitars and it’s pretty great, so I expect these will also be excellent. Not that anyone is doing much travel right now, but maybe by the time these ship that will be a thing again?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kl ... ref=26yztb
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Half off mic shields today. $49 down from $99. You should probably have one of these.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid? ... FJqlX2OW1w
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

jb wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:26 pm
Half off mic shields today. $49 down from $99. You should probably have one of these.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid? ... FJqlX2OW1w
I have a mic shield, so I’m not exactly sure why I clicked the link, but I did and it’s not going to a mic shield.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Yeah the deal expired, it’s a new deal now. No solar panels tho
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Right now the Stupid Deal of the Day is a pair of studio headphones at a steep discount. If you need some good headphones for recording and mixing, these are now only $40, down from $150.

Tascam TH-300X Studio Headphones

TASCAM's TH-300X provides the clear, uncolored sound that musicians demand in the studio, while providing plenty of power handling and isolation for tracking and live use. The closed-back design isolates the musician, preventing microphone bleed and feedback. The plush leatherette ear pads and adjustable headband make the TH-300X comfortable ...

Was: Regular Price $149.99 Savings: Your Savings $110.00 Your Price $39.99
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:57 am
Right now the Stupid Deal of the Day is a pair of studio headphones at a steep discount. If you need some good headphones for recording and mixing, these are now only $40, down from $150.

Tascam TH-300X Studio Headphones

TASCAM's TH-300X provides the clear, uncolored sound that musicians demand in the studio, while providing plenty of power handling and isolation for tracking and live use. The closed-back design isolates the musician, preventing microphone bleed and feedback. The plush leatherette ear pads and adjustable headband make the TH-300X comfortable ...

Was: Regular Price $149.99 Savings: Your Savings $110.00 Your Price $39.99
I wonder what the difference is between these and the TH-200X (which I own a bunch of... and for the $20 each that I paid, are great) because my typical "X vs X" Google search isn't pulling up anything relevant. ;)

Edit: After doing more research... it appears the TH-300X has a 5mm larger driver and wider freq response from 10-26 as opposed to my TH-200X of 15-22 along with some differences in impedance and max power... etc.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I don't like the TH-200X but I was comparing them to the 7506's which isn't fair. They work fine for tracking but I've only used them a handful of times.
I did get the 200X on stupid deal some time back.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

The very solid Sennheiser HD280 headphones are $20 off for a bit https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... headphones
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

OOH, I'd like to try those. But I just bought a guitar amp so I'd probably ought not spend much more money right now.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

Native Instruments have started their yearly deal where you get 50% off all updates and upgrades on KOMPLETE, and also 50% off most other updates (e.g. Kontakt, Guitar Rig, Massive, ...). If you want to get started with NI's KOMPLETE, you can get the "Select" edition at normal price ($/€ 199) and upgrade to a more complete edition at half the normal update price, so for instance KOMPLETE 13 Ultimate would cost you 199+499=598 instead of 1199 for the regular license.

You get the same deals from all the NI dealers I've checked (e.g. Sweetwater, Thomann, ...), even for the boxed versions.
Offer valid until the end of the month.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Also don't forget it'll come with a $25 voucher that you can't actually spend on anything useful!
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

Totally forgot about that! I've not spent a €25 voucher on anything useful several times already.