Pedals!

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Pedals!

Post by Sober »

Guitars and basses, specifically.

I just brought home a Digitech Bass Synth Wah. I tell you, it is fucking awesome. It's like a simplified, stomp version of the funk standard Microsynth.

It's easy to use, it's got a nice variety of sounds, a fair amount of control of those sounds, and it's got two outputs, so you can have them go to two different channels and control the wet/dry mix if you will, as well as eq the channels seperately, etc.

I've got a 7/8 funky song in the works, and I plan on using one of the crunchy synth sounds mixed with the dry signal. The dry channel will be eq'ed to be mostly bass, while the synthy channel will be mostly highs. In my head, that sounds good. We'll see what happens.

Also, I've got one o' them MetalZone pedals, and I like it a'very much.

And I got one o' them Jimi Hendrix Wah pedals. Light distortion before that pedal sounds great.
🤠
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

aw man, don't get Redmon and i started on pedal talk... :twisted:
Hi!
UnDesirable
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro, Orion Basic
Submitting as: UnDesirable, Farmer Doom

Post by UnDesirable »

I have the MetalZone and its a great distortion pedal. I also have a Dunlap Crybaby wah pedal, it's good playing live but a liitle noisy for recording purposes. I bought the Boss V-Wah and its great. Models several different wah pedals and distortion and adds hardly any noticeable noise for recording purposes.
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/PW-10/index.html

I hang out in pawnshops too much and have too many other pedals to mention
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I have 3 camco pedals. I find they are light, fast, and deliver the goods. some lighter weight pedals sacrifice durability, and those heavier clunkier ones don't have the movement... I love camco bass drum pedals. They rule.

The thread said pedals.

I also got a dunlop wah, a boss mega distortion and a tuner pedal... and a midi pedal board to rune my on-board effects...

Look at me! Look at me!

The mega distortion... it's ok, I wonder if I would have been better of with a straight overdrive though.. . I want a digitech wammy pedal... BAD.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Re: Pedals!

Post by jute gyte »

The Sober Irishman wrote: and it's got two outputs, so you can have them go to two different channels and control the wet/dry mix if you will, as well as eq the channels seperately, etc.
i'm in a noise band at college, and something we like to do with pedals with multiple outputs is have one output loop back in as the input. you can get some pretty cool internal sounds. it probably won't help you with funk, though.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

these days i mostly just use my J-station for guitar effects that require modulation like flange, tremelo, and phase shifting. i have a Guyatone ST-2 compression/sustain pedal that i think is the shit, especially if it's matched up with a TS-9 tubescreamer. i've got a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah pedal i use on occasion, but it's mostly a pain in the arse to use. i've got a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal that i picked up for like 20 bucks thats nothing special but for cheap distortion works fine. i've got an overpriced Boss RV-3 Digital reverb/Delay pedal that's fun for long delays but not much else. and i've got a Danelectro fabtone pedal that i absolutely love, the old cast metal version, that is the shit for getting the rectifier sound. i'd love to get a good octave pedal, have used the DOD one but didn't like it much.

also, this guy comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Hi!
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

jack shite wrote:aw man, don't get Redmon and i started on pedal talk... :twisted:
Or me either.

But since you already did, here's my setups.

1) I'll use a Line 6 POD version 2.0 for direct recording when I'm feeling to lazy to set up an amp. The variety of sounds it can produce is good, but the quality of those tones is outstanding. I seriously would recommend one (or the newest version) to anyone. You can use it as a pre-amp as well for improving the sound of a cheap amp. It comes with a switch that lets you chose the mode (direct / amp). Works great!

2) The quick live setup I use is a Boss ME-50. It's an all in one multi-pedal that has the most needed effects, and a lot more. Start with compression, distortion / overdrive, modulation and delay along with an expression pedal for wah, volume etc. Each of the 3 pedals (distortion / overdrive, modulation and delay) has various pedal choices. The distortion has pedals like the DS-1, the BD-1 and the TS-9 and more. The modulation has various chorus pedals, flangers, and phasers. The delay pedal has everything from super long digital delays to basic analog. Each of these units is controlled with....get this.....REAL KNOBS! No menu's, no scrolling, no programming. If I sound like a salesman, I should be because I'm sold on this unit. $300 new, cheaper on E-Bay this thing rocks.

3) The big unit, my pride and joy. I've been collecting and tweaking this set of pedals for a very long time now. I start with an old Thomas (the original Cry Baby not Dunlop) wah. It goes to a Boss CS-3 compression pedal that runs into a vintage Boss (Roland) CE-1. Simply put, the best chorus pedal ever made. It gets everything from lush chorus to a thick sounding Leslie speaker effect. From there I have an Ibanez AD-99 analog delay pedal. I prefer the analog sound over digital myself. That runs into 2 overdrive pedals made by Tube Works. A "Smooth" pedal (that's what it's called) and a "Blue Tube" pedal. Both have a real 12AX7 tube in them and are more of a soft overdrive than distortion unless used in conjunction. I usually use them seperately as different gain stages. Lastly I run the whole deal into something called a "Super Chile Picoso". It's a clean boost pedal that not only makes up for any signal loss, but also give the whole signal chain one final little kick in the ass before it hits the amp. Again, not distortion, boost. A very cool little pedal. The whole setup resides inside of a nearly indistructable "Pedal Pad" case. It's tilted at just the right angle and has space underneath to route the patch cords and house a 6 way for power. Oh and it's carpeted so the pedals can utilize velcro to keep them in place. Anyone jealous yet?

I have some other stuff I'm not using if anyone's interested in a bargain PM me. An older Digitech RP-1 and and a vintage Ibanez PUE-5. Both are multi-effects pedals in good shape with a lotta life left in them. I just don't need them anymore.

So.........you guys wanna do amps next? OH! What about guitars?
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

jute gyte wrote:i'm in a noise band at college, and something we like to do with pedals with multiple outputs is have one output loop back in as the input. you can get some pretty cool internal sounds. it probably won't help you with funk, though.
An old four-track is good for this, too. My favorite pedal is a "Realistic electronic reverb" which I think was made by Radio Shack; some dude gave it to me for free back in college because I was nice enough to overpay for a microphone he was selling and that I prompty lost. Anyway, this pedal is supposed to sit on one's desktop, but it makes the awesomest sounds if you kick it just right while you play through it. Also I use a dw-4000 kick drum pedal; nothing special but it's nothing to complain about, either.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

bzl wrote:My favorite pedal is a "Realistic electronic reverb" which I think was made by Radio Shack; some dude gave it to me for free back in college because I was nice enough to overpay for a microphone he was selling and that I prompty lost. Anyway, this pedal is supposed to sit on one's desktop, but it makes the awesomest sounds if you kick it just right while you play through it.
There is a VST version of that called the Rat Shack. There is a link to it in the plug ins thread.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

ken wrote:There is a VST version of that called the Rat Shack.
Hahaha, that's it exactly! Makes me wonder what there isn't a VST version of. I suppose, though, that I can't afford to be kicking my computer all over a stage every time I want some wacky distortion.
Me$$iah
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

Oh yes

I love effects talk me

My current fx unit is just simply gorgeous
Honest, even tho I say so myself
It just is

I currently run my guit into a rack which contains the following:-

Digitech GSP7
Digitech 2101 Artist (3.00)
Digitech VocalistII
Digitech Genesis 3 (1.4)

all interwirable in almost any config due to a 1u pactchbay
connected to everything

This then runs to my power amp and then speakers/ my mixing desk or through S/P-dif from the Genesis to my comp, tho I usually rout an analog guitar sound to my comp (i just prefer it)

I love the Digitech sound can ya tell
The GSP7 is the most useful piece of qwipment Ive ever seen
it has some great disorsions and choruses but the reverbs oh my god
the are so versitile Ive used them for everything and they always sound good. Its also so easy to use (it is menus but very simple ones) and progaming it is a doddle - and it just makes a good sound.
The 2101 need I say any more - Its ok this not bad at all
The Vocalist was an interesting addition Id used one on voices years ago and it made great harmonies -then i seen one cheap on E-Bay about a year ago so I bought it --- Wat a result -- lush harmonies full doubled sounds - just great i tells ya great.
The Genesis the Digitech POD i guess cept (and I know Im gonna take heat for this) I think i sounds better But that just could be bias I like the Digitech sound so it appeals to me other dont, its all cool, but the genesis is just just adds that OOoomph to the sound at the end if i need it. You all know wat a POD does well thats wat my Genesis does cept it just does it all better

Man I love my rack!!!

All I need now is to learn how to play

Oh and Dan
go on then guitars next yeh
I love to talk about them too
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The Pigtronix Mothership analog synth pedal looks like loads of fun, though maybe not super useful...
adam b
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, basic Keys
Recording Method: Audacity, Laptop
Submitting as: Lawless Drive

Post by adam b »

You guys have awesome set-ups! I've got four pedals and a tuner - two distortions (Boss DS-2 and Danelectro T-bone), and Danelectro flanger and delay pedals. They do the trick and over the years I've managed to get a lot of different sounds out of them, but other things would be awesome. I pretty much creamed my pants when I played our other guitarist's wah-wah pedal. And his Big Muff is super-dirty, i love it. Might expand that stuff, but first I'll probably get a decent mic and a bass.
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

Line 6 distortion modeler, Line 6 filter modeler, Danelectro Free Speech, BBE Two Timer, Digitech Whammy.
Possibly a Line 6 Modulation Modeler to come, as I've been really happy with their other products.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

JHS launched a new series of budget pedals, USA made and only $99USD! Super blank canvas style to them, which could be fun for customization. They just cover the basic effects but they're probably really sweet sounding and high quality build for the price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/jhs-3/series
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

I have this overdrive pedal kit ready and waiting to build when I get a minute. It will be my first Very Own Pedal and the first time I’ve done diy electronics (if holding stuff while my dad soldered the back of our tv growing up on a fairly regular basis growing up doesn’t count).

https://www.musikding.de/The-250G-Overdrive-kit
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

If this is a clone of the DOD 250 pedal, I had one of those for a while, and it made everything sound like AC/DC, that is to say AWESOME.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Lunkhead wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:01 pm
JHS launched a new series of budget pedals, USA made and only $99USD!
Those JHS Three Series pedals look great. Became a big fan of the JHS YouTube channel this year but I've never tried one of their pedals. Might pick up one.

Though the next pedal I pick up will probably be one of the new EHX pedals. They just released a deluxe of the Pitchfork which was already a favorite of mine. And now they're releasing a Bit-Crusher which is the one style of pedal I have long felt was missing from my board.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Yeah, that JHS lineup looks pretty cool. Look for some to collect them all, which would certainly cover a lot of ground. Heh. Bad pun. They almost look like the generic items from Repo Man (food, beer, etc) which is a big appeal, actually.

I have a couple of JHS pedals, they're good. One of my favorite pedals is a collab JHS did with Keely called Steak And Eggs. It's a Keely compressor with a JHS overdrive in one unit. You can dial each effect in and use solo, or use both and switch the order between comp > od or vice versa. Very useful and sounds great.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I mean, I watched the video for those JHS pedals and all I was thinking was HOW CAN YOU TELL THEM APART ON A DARK FUCKING STAGE, JOSH
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Haha. That's a good point, I hadn't thought about that. Glow-in-the-dark marker/stickers/paint maybe?
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Think of them as a blank canvas for personal customization.

Plus hopefully you're not a lunatic like me who changes up their board all the time and you'll just get used to where each pedal is.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost