GarageBand vs. Pro tools

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

GarageBand vs. Pro tools

Post by BBABM »

I am really, really new to the whole recording thing. The program I use now is very easy to use, but very limited in its features. I am in the market for an affordable recording program that is easy to use and has a lot of stuff I can do to stuff. The m-audio mic and interface I use now are also compatible with protools (they actually come with protools se now... Not when I got them) and GarageBand. I have found an older Mac with gb2 for a reasonable price, or would be willing to re-buy an m-audio thingy to get what I assume is a stripped down version of protools.

I obv. Don't have the money or the computer to go full on professional and get logic or full protools9. Does anyone have a suggestion/favorite, or is it a coin toss?
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: GarageBand vs. Pro tools

Post by ken »

Coin toss.

What kind of features are you looking for? What other programs have your tried?

Before you buy anything new, I would try out the cheap stuff, Reaper and Ardour. They are super cheap and some pros even use it.

http://www.reaper.fm/
http://ardour.org/

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

I've been using "session" which is older than Jesus, and I don't think they update it anymore.

But I will totally check out those others.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

What Ken said.

Ardour is surprisingly full-featured for no cost.

Reaper prides itself on being affordable, and many other Songfighters (Jan Krueger and Reve, to name two) positively SWEAR by it.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I have been using an old mac with gb2 for about 6 years now. Very easy to use. Recommend it thoroughly. My CD http://caravanray.bandcamp.com/ was recorded almost entirely with just a bass, an acoustic guitar and gb2 (final master was done by a bloke in a studio).

I have just bought a new mac and upgraded. Am just about to ebay my old mac - but the shipping costs will probably make it a bit uneconomic for you
BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! A friend has come forth and donated an old g4 that I am going to try and learn on. When I have more time I still plan on looking at the others... Being a pc man at heart, and having a much nicer pc, I would like to find what I need there

My cousin suggested I go ubuntu and try Jokosher... So many options
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

Just a heads-up: getting Ubuntu to record cleanly is very very very hard. It has something to do with the interrupts in the operating system: some of them are hooked up to debugging or performance-measuring routines and your recording device driver can't assume higher priority. This makes lots of little buffer under-runs caused by dropped samples. It's very annoying and time-consuming to figure out how to get around it. I have found some internet sources that say it can be done, but apparently it is beyond the ability of an experienced UNIX programmer with a PhD.

GarageBand on an old G4, on the other hand, will do everything you want with no fuss. (Except editing MIDI piano scroll is kind of painstaking, but if you're that dedicated to perfection you should bite the bullet and buy something).
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Mike Lamb »

Pro Tools locks you into a VERY limited set of hardware. Reaper seems to be a lot of value for little/no money, and is a completely fully-featured DAW. I think if I was starting over, I'd probably look at Reaper. If I had some kind of plan to work in the recording industry, I'd probably go with ProTools instead. All that being said, I use Digital Performer because I have MOTU equipment and midi.
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Generic wrote:What Ken said.

Reaper prides itself on being affordable, and many other Songfighters (Jan Krueger and Reve, to name two) positively SWEAR by it.
IIRC, MC Frontalot uses Reaper, too.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote:
Generic wrote:What Ken said.

IIRC, MC Frontalot uses Reaper, too.
He doesn't have a professional producer and studio these days?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Why have that when Reaper is free?

He occasionally posts screenshots of his Reaper environment to Twitter. He might only use that for scratch purposes or something. I dunno.