itunes on a PC

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

itunes on a PC

Post by ken »

Hey All,

I got a new laptop recently and am starting to use it. I'm thinking about moving my mp3s from my old computer and am wondering if it is worth it. I usually use Windows Media Player to listen to mp3s, but now that I have an iphone, I have itunes loaded up as well. Should I just start using that as my default player? Rip CDs in itunes as mp4s and just not be able to move or share them? What do you all do?

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Re: itunes on a PC

Post by jb »

Not sure why you'd rip them as MP4s? itunes works with MP3s just fine.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

I use WinAmp in Windows and mplayer or qmmp on Linux.

iTunes is pretty nice though if you aren't an obsessive-compulsive techie.

I wrote a program to rip all my CDs to lossless audio, and then I wrote a bash script to convert them all to MP3. And then I dragged some of the MP3s in iTunes for loading up my iPhone.
Last edited by Manhattan Glutton on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I rip MP3s at 256, mostly. I use iTunes and have both the song files and the iTunes DB on an external drive so I can hook up various computers and use the same DB. The problem is that my "stereo" dedicated laptop is an old G4 and it can no longer use a compatible iTunes version with my Windows laptop and iBook. So now I'm eying the Sonos with a stand alone NAS drive for the audio and DB.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I have no idea what I do. I just plug my iPod into my iMac and it all works. I like not having to think about it.

And I just discovered that when I buy something from iTunes on my laptop - the songs somehow magically make their way to my iMac and my wife's laptop! And vice versa! I have no idea how that happens - but I am very pleased it does.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

roymond wrote:So now I'm eying the Sonos with a stand alone NAS drive for the audio and DB.
Just FYI, the solution I've come up with is a Linksys NSLU2 "Slug" Unslung (it's now a tiny little Linux box with an external hard drive). It runs a program called ushare (UPnP) media server.

Only problem is that Unslung won't let the disk spin down so it gets a bit hot.

Then on the stereo I've got this other thing called the Philips Streamium (cheaper than Sonos). It's a nice system. It also gets internet radio, nicely indexed, and is compatible with Rhapsody tho I don't use that.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas