dont understand vst plugin stuff

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
hillbilly

dont understand vst plugin stuff

Post by hillbilly »

windows 7, new lap top. Working with Audacity,down loaded a tube effect program, aduacity suggested. saved all the files, Right clicked transfered files, adobbe reader wont open. downloaded Winzip, still goes back to adobbe. Man Im used to windows 98, whats up? Do I allready have a vst player or do i need to download one?
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: dont understand vst plugin stuff

Post by ken »

usually, VST effects are .dll extensions. You need to place this file in your VSt plug in folder so Audacity can find it.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Ken thanks, have read and understand that part. adobbe wont open or transfer dll. does windows 7 come with every thing required to make this work, or do i need to download something else?
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

if you can see the file, just cut and paste it where it needs to go.

Why is adobe involved in this?

Maybe I don't understand the problem...
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

yeah, you should be pulling these plugin things down as .zip files or .gzip or something like that. not sure why you're seeing any adobe products come up - are you maybe pulling down .pdf files (which would be the manuals)? I don't know if W7 includes an "unzip" program or not, but there are a bunch of free ones on the interwebz. either your file associations on the new laptop are all messed up, or you're downloading the wrong files.

it would probably help if you could walk us step by step through what you're trying to do so we can see where you're going wrong. "I downloaded a file called superverb.zip from sourceforge.com; I double clicked on it and adobe reader came up and said it couldn't understand the file format..." if you can give us more detail, we can probably spot where things are going wrong and make some suggestions.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

thats exactly whats going on. sourceforge.com tube amp, adobe trys to open and says it cant understand, not downloaded correctly or currupt file. have downloaded 2 or 3 times does it every time.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

I do not see the plug in you mention on the sourceforge.NET website. I did however follow the links there to the Audacity page and found this helpful information:

Plug-Ins and Libraries

You can download and install plug-ins or libraries to add extra functionality to Audacity. Plug-ins can give you extra effects, or more audio generation and analysis capability. Adding libraries can allow you to import or export additional audio formats.
Plug-In Installation

To install new plug-ins, place them in the Plug-Ins folder inside the Audacity installation folder. On Windows computers, this is usually under "Program Files". On Mac OS X, it is usually under "Applications". Restart Audacity, then the Plug-ins will appear underneath the divider in the "Effect", "Generate" or "Analyze" menus.

Perhaps you can try downloading and installing Voxengo's free tube amp vst instead: http://www.voxengo.com/group/free-vst-plugins/

Ken

hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

thanks for the help guys