this noise problem

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
hillbilly

this noise problem

Post by hillbilly »

Have been back and forth with these Audacity help guys. I have this hiss problem, with a blank trak, unplug the mike and it gets louder, think im getting closer to resloving this issue. Do i need to upgrad my sound card, this is a new Compaq laptop, it was $400 at walmart. Man I had an old emachine windows 98, and Cakewalk, it recorded clean, why do i have this hiss, its bout to piss me off.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: this noise problem

Post by ken »

Are you using the built in soundcard? If so, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it had a hiss. Where is the gain set on it? Maybe you have it up too high?

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Are you plugging your instruments directly into the microphone port of your laptop? Because Wal-Mart doesn't sell $400 laptops with good sound cards. That hiss is pretty much par for the course on a computer within that range, and it's not Audacity's fault. There are probably a few noise-reduction plugins you can use, but if the floor is too loud, then noise reduction will just make everything else sound like it's underwater.

I'd recommend getting a USB-connected audio interface.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

You guys are right, its this frigging computer
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

M-audio Fastrack is cheap and easy to use.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... ing-studio
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Hey thanks, it was mike boost, was set at Plus 24% i am noise free now, this is a good thing. thanks
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

ken wrote:M-audio Fastrack is cheap and easy to use.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... ing-studio
That is what I use, along with the m-audio USB producer mic. It even comes with a cheap version of protools, which is kinda nice. Bairly any latency, minimal noise, cheap, and the buggers work.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

The mike gain was set at 100% and, Dc offset filter was unchecked. corrected those settings, guess Im running bout as clean as this cheap computer will to be straight in. Again thanks. One more question while im here. upgrade to Windows 8 keeps popping up, should i upgrade from Win7
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

While you're at it, you might want to look into a better recording program than Audacity. Many interfaces come with Cubase LE 5 nowadays, Reaper is cheap (Mac and Windows), and Krystal (Windows) and Ardour (Linux, Mac) are free. Reasonable recording environments compensate for latency at record time and allow you to nondestructively cut, move, copy, and otherwise manipulate your audio blocks, as well as apply effects in real time without changing the underlying audio track.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Fluf your right, when i try to cut and move or add other tracks there are timing issuses that i can not shift and correct. I can do 1 basic guitar track then another of vocals and allmost pull it off. Any more traks have timing issues. But guys thanks for the help, i understand what needs to be done now, takes me a while, turned 54 today
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Hey, congratulations.