Having a little trouble

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Eddie Knows
A New Player

Having a little trouble

Post by Eddie Knows »

Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble creating my first song. I have the drum track and I know how I want to record my vocals but I don't have any ideas for the music itself.

Is it feasible to lay down vocals after the drum track and layer on instruments later or is it better to figure the music out before I record any vocals?
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Re: Having a little trouble

Post by RangerDenni »

you could record a scratch vocal track and compose your accompanying tracks around it, bottom up. Whatever functions as your bass, on up through your rhythm and so on-ish. Then cut a proper vocal and perhaps then add other soloistic bits. You are then all set after a good mixing and then mastering process. Specifics of the order to things do vary as do instrument choices- and you may have the midi. But that is my two cent-s-ical opinion :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

What RD said... lay down a rough guitar or keyboard track to keep you in tune and knowing where you are in the song, lay down vocals and then you can go back and re-do the instruments (assuming you're doing some sort of multitrack recording). And then when that's all over, you realize you can sing the song way bigger than you did that first time 'round and you re-do the vocals anyway :-)

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

The general rule is: if it works, it's okay to do it. ;)
Eddie Knows
A New Player

Post by Eddie Knows »

Help appreciated guys, things are moving a little more smoothly now
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

IMHO, tracks that are written vocals first are usually better songs. Like everyone else said, the only caveat to recording vocals first is that you need some kind of tonal pad to keep you in key/tune. When you've got the vocals laid down, have a good listen to what you want the music to strengthen or accent.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

What Signboy said. Or you could lay down a very rough vocal track, then lay down some chords that more or less match it, then re-record the vocals with the chords you already have. Don't be afraid to rerecord things. It's not like you're paying $300/hour for a studio tech (right?).