recording play back

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
hillbilly

recording play back

Post by hillbilly »

Have a set of padded ear phones (bassey), set of wrap around ear buds (which i think sound good) and Altec Small speakers. I record thru headphones, to keep the noise down. just dosent sound right thru the speakers. any helpfull advive?
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Re: recording play back

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Headphones will sound "bassey" during playback or when recording. Your final mix is what you should be concerned about. That will be when you want to maximize the sound coming out of those Altec's. If you can make your song sound good through those, you should be golden. Just keep everything as flat as can be going in, in other words don't mess with your EQ going in, just save EQ for the mix. And be as gentle on the EQ going out as you can be, less is more. It's really easy to get carried away boosting signals. Listen to mixes on everything you can, car, home, boombox, Ipod. Once you find where everything sounds pretty much the same, you have a good mix.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

hillbilly wrote:any helpfull advive?
It doesn't matter how good you can fart the opening riff of "My Sharona" - it rarely impresses the chicks. Weird huh.
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

try loading up a "professionally produced" song into your project alongside your "almost final" mix. Make sure it's a song that sounds as close to yours stylistically as possible. Do an A/B comparison by muting/unmuting the two tracks. Check out how the bass comes across on those cheap altecs. Get your bass sounding like that. You'll probably find that the "pro" song has way more mids & highs in their bass/kick than you thought.
It doesn't matter what kind of speakers you're mixing on, as long as you're used to them, and know what kind of coloured sound you're going for.
eg: my samson monitor speakers are really crisp in the high end, so I have to mix "tinny" in my studio if I want it to sound ok in a car or on headphones.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

thanks guys