free drum machines that can export midis for mac

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

free drum machines that can export midis for mac

Post by fodroy »

anyone know of any? i'm looking for something simple and efficient. garageband is way too cumbersome to even bother working with when it comes to making beats.

i've recently downloaded drumatix, which is great expect for the fact that it won't export anything. any ideas?
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: free drum machines that can export midis for mac

Post by ken »

Why don't you want to use a drum VSTi? It sounds like you want something that doesn't exist within your DAW. Is that right?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

i'm not sure the difference between drum vsti and what i've used in the past (making do with garageband / using fruity loops before making the switch to mac).

simply put, what i'm looking for is free software that i can use to program my own beats and then export those beats into garageband so i can record over them.

if a drum vsti is a better option in your opinion, what would you recommend?
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

ken wrote:Why don't you want to use a drum VSTi? It sounds like you want something that doesn't exist within your DAW. Is that right?
so i figured out that garageband doesn't support any vst's, which is part of my problem. i need a program that allows me to create a midi file so that i can then import that file into garageband and record over that midi.

any ideas? in the past i was importing wav files (if i remember correctly) from fruity loops. and i got tired of using garageband's own features to make beats (takes too long, disrupts the creative process).
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Stop using Garageband. Start using a real DAW. Even Logic Express would be worth the money.

Here's a freebie DAW from Presonus. Blue said he liked their software, so it must be okay.

http://studioone.presonus.com/free/
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

thanks ken! :)

i'll give studio one a shot. i don't really have the money right to spend on logic right now. it's nice to know that i don't have to be stuck with garageband, though. i cannot stand that program.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Yeah, there are some other free DAWs as well, Ardour is the next that comes to mind, and Reaper is free (I think). These should let you use any VSTi you want that is Mac compatible.

I probably should have asked more about your workflow, how you would prefer to program the drums etc.

Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I am still using Garageband and know what you mean about the drum stuff being cumbersome (I also changed from fruityloops to GB way back around the same time you did as I recall).

I have found the best way to do do drum stuff is to use a little midi keyboard I bought for about $30 and use it to 'play' the GB drum sounds in real time - then tidy up the timing using the autocorrection thing GB has.

But yeah - I would still like to use the Fruityloops I was using 7 or 8 yeras ago before I switched to the Mac. That was cool.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

ken wrote:Stop using Garageband. Start using a real DAW. Even Logic Express would be worth the money.
Why? What are the advantages of LE over GB?

I have often considered this - but have never really understood what I would gain from it (RB was even once nice enough to send me a copy of LE to try out - but sadly, actually loading it to use turned out to be beyond my capabilities - so I am still in the dark)

I will try the free one you suggested - to see if I can see any benefits for me in it
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

ken wrote:Yeah, there are some other free DAWs as well, Ardour is the next that comes to mind, and Reaper is free (I think). These should let you use any VSTi you want that is Mac compatible.
Isn't a "VSTi" the same as the AU things in garageband?

Is this the sort of thing that you are talking about, and the sort of thing Fodroy wants?:
http://www.sonomawireworks.com/drumcore/#features

(NB - I have not used the above - I just googled "au plugin drums" and it was one of the first that popped up - if it is the sort of thing Fodroy seems to be looking for - I might download the free sample too and try it out)