Best freeware recording software for Windows 8?

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Best freeware recording software for Windows 8?

Post by erik »

Hey y'all:

I used to songfight several years ago, but since that time I've 1) gotten a new computer, and 2) forgotten the small amount of knowledge I had about how to record things using computers. I've recently agreed to be a part of a challenge with a group of friends that will require me to record songs for like 2 months. You guys all know lots of stuff; anyone able to point me in the right direction? I'm looking for suggestions on what recording software I should get.

I need something free (or dead-cheap) that will be super-easy for me to re-figure-out and that works with Windows 8. If you have suggestions that you have personal experience with, I would love to hear them. Thanks,

---Erik
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Best freeware recording software for Windows 8?

Post by ken »

I don't know about Windows 8 compatibility specifically, but some of the better free software is Reaper, Audacity, and Ardour. I'm actually not sure Reaper is free. Audacity seems pretty popular, but I haven't used it. I did one recording project in Ardour and it worked fine.

Unfortunately, you'll have to dig into these yourself and see which one works for you.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Reaper is $60 shareware, but it lets you use the free trial forever and ever. It's also what I'd use if I didn't use Logic.

Ardour and Audacity are typical opensource toys with typical opensource problems. Some people can make amazing stuff with them. Those people must have infinite patience.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Free trial forever and ever are some of my favorite words. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, folks.
Kevin Mellows
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Reaper and lots of plug-ins
Submitting as: Kevin Mellows

Post by Kevin Mellows »

Yes get Reaper, it's great!

-Kevin