New Music Friday - 10/11/19

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

New Music Friday - 10/11/19

Post by ken »

It's been an unusual week for me, so I wasn't going to start this post, but I just saw the there is a new album that is a collaboration between Mark Kozelek and Petra Haden. This is going to be good!

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/mark-koze ... M9cprJn5Ow

What else is exciting and inspiring you today?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: New Music Friday - 10/11/19

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I'm thinking of getting the Empty Beings release "Dead and Pathetic" which drops today. Post punk/cow punk with a polished vocal.
https://playalonerecords.com/products/empty-beings-lp
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

I listened to Richard Dawson and Kim Gordon. Both interesting. Both need more listens.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

I heard a little of the Kim Gordon as well seems really interesting.

I listened to the Mark Kozelek/Petra Haden album over the weekend and it was FUCKING MIND BLOWING. I don't know how he writes those rambly story songs that sound like meta-diary pages set to music. Petra just add another layer of awesome to already great songs. I don't know if I will ever write songs like these, but I may start trying. It at least inspires me to be more honest and direct lyrically.

I'm now listening to the new Frankie Big Face album.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Forgot about the new Big Thief album Two Hands. I really like this band and their separate, but related albums this year are really good.

owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Oh yeah I was just coming in to mention the new Big Thief (I'm playing a show this weekend that we accidentally scheduled at the same time that Big Thief/Palehound are playing, and I have SEVERE REGRETS I can't make it to that :( but also the last time Big Thief were here, they played their ENTIRE catalog so I have definitely gotten a lot of them live already)
I listened through once over the weekend, was a bit distracted, so I'll have to spend more time, but first impression was that I liked it better than UFOF, which I found slightly disappointing after absolutely loving the previous two albums. I had been listening to that new single "Not" a lot when they released that recently and it is wonderful.

I'm excited to check out the new Mark Kozelek/Petra Haden album per your recommendation, ken. MK has been a mixed bag for me. I was a big Sun Kil Moon fan, I loved "Ghosts of the Great Highway" so much but it's much more traditionally structured. The forays into stream-of-consciousness raw diary musings have ranged from crushingly beautiful and personal to feeling like self-parody.

Edit: I didn't write this, but I could have: https://uproxx.com/indie/mark-kozelek-s ... areer-arc/
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

owl wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:37 am
I'm excited to check out the new Mark Kozelek/Petra Haden album per your recommendation, ken. MK has been a mixed bag for me. I was a big Sun Kil Moon fan, I loved "Ghosts of the Great Highway" so much but it's much more traditionally structured. The forays into stream-of-consciousness raw diary musings have ranged from crushingly beautiful and personal to feeling like self-parody.
I totally understand this and am the same way with MK. Sometimes it really hits me in the right place (My Friend Ben) and other times, not at all. This album more reliably hit me as beautiful and engaging, even the longer songs.

Just finished the new Kim Gordon. I also saw Joker yesterday. They are both relentlessly tense throughout. If you are into such art, check out both.