Podcast: Sodajerker on Songwriting

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin
Pronouns: he/him

Podcast: Sodajerker on Songwriting

Post by Duncan »

Over the past year I've really been enjoying this podcast: https://www.sodajerker.com/podcast/

A pet peeve of mine is when musicians get interviewed by someone who hasn't really listened to their new stuff, or hasn't done much research at all. These dudes clearly love the music made by their guests, and the conversation always has plenty of talk about the songwriting process. There's of course lots about the stories and gossip, but the main focus is songwriting. And they have good taste IMO. And they have no ads!
Last edited by Duncan on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
slyeli
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Mackie Onyx 1620, Rode K2, Orange Tiny Terror
Submitting as: Sly Eli
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Podcast: Sodajerker on Songwriting

Post by slyeli »

Thanks for posting this, I'd never heard of this podcast before. I'm listening to the one by Mark Oliver Everett and he talks about writing a song based on a series of text messages. He feels that songs he writes that way have more meaning than the usual way he writes songs, as a kind of mumble track, mumbling along syllables until he gets a melody and then writing lyrics to fit that.

I've always written songs in the mumble track way but lately I've noticed that that's changing. With the last two fights (I Was A Child Model and Go Between) I've had a definite idea about what the song was going to be about and the style before I started writing. Those songs have come out differently to my usual songs and I think that's down to having a song title to write to. I'm not sure if I'll continue to do it that way but it's definitely broadened my horizons.