What are you listening to right now?

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

TMBG has a fair fanbase in the UK. Concerning success, Birdhouse in Your Soul reached #6 over there, and Boss of Me made the high 20s.
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

The Streets and Franz Ferdinand are pretty big over here. I here Franz and the Streets on the radio a fair amount, and I love them both, especially the Streets.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:You say TMBG don't translate well - do you mean that TMBG aren't popular at all in the UK, or just in your opinion.
Unfortunately I have a screaming hangover so I can't recall the figures exactly, but TMBG have sold over 5 million records in the States, here it is something like 500,000 copies for all their albums.

John M, the chart positions you quote aren't so impressive. You only need to sell 100,000 (maybe less now) copies to get to Number One in the singles chart. Also 'Birdhouse' is what, ten years ago?

I really meant critically. This from a review of The Spine, from the NME, which in my opinion pretty much reflects the popular attitude of TMBG in the UK ..

"If ever there was a band who illustrated the subtle, perceptible differences between ourselves and the Americans, it's TMBG. Over in the US, their quirky, some would say zany, some would say downright fucking irritating interpretation of wilfully difficult, angular new-wave pop has gained them five million record sales among the geeks, dweebs and poindexters ... over here, they only have to show up with their smirks and accordians and they get chased out of town by irate pop kids carrying flaming torches. We want NERD, not nerds. "

Now bviously this is just my take on it. I'd be interested to see what the other UK Songfighters felt about them ...

j$
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

j$ wrote:'Birdhouse' is what, ten years ago?
fourteen, actually. ("why is the world in love again? why are we marching hand in hand? why are the ocean levels rising up? it's a brand new record for nineteen-ninety: they might be giants' brand new album flood!")
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

j$ wrote:John M, the chart positions you quote aren't so impressive.
I didn't say they were. I was just giving them so people would know.
j$ wrote:Also 'Birdhouse' is what, ten years ago?
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

ccr is effin' amazing.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I'm not actually currently digging this group, and I don't even know if they still exist, but for our Australian friends, "TISM". I saw them in Sidney 13 years ago, and it was a deadly show.

where are they now I wonder?

Speaking of Wonder. Stevie Wonder has been turning my crank lately....
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Leaf wrote:I'm not actually currently digging this group, and I don't even know if they still exist, but for our Australian friends, "TISM". I saw them in Sidney 13 years ago, and it was a deadly show.

Ahhh, the wonderful TISM (aka. This Is Serious, Mum) - yes, they are truly legends with and awesome stage show. As far as I know they're still around and emerge from the woodwork from time to time. They've always kept themselves hidden behind a veil of mystery - they only ever appear in public in masks using the names Ron Hitler Barassi and Humphrey B Flaubert (I think there's only 2 main dudes).

They've been around for over 20 years, always bursting on the scene with a record or a tour, then disappearing again. I suspect they're actually suburban professionals with proper day jobs who get together every now and again to put the masks on and have some fun.

Now you mention them, I wish I had have used a TISM song for the Gift of Music thing, like their (He ain't gonna be no) Old Man River:
I'm on the drug
I'm on the drug
I'm on the drug that killed River Phoenix...

They were always masters of the great song title, eg:
A Hard-Earned Thirst Needs A Big Cold Beer, But I Drink To Get Pissed
Martin Scorsese Is Really Quite A Jovial Fellow
All Homeboys Are Dickheads
Jung Talent Time
Bishop = Handjob
and of course, the classic,
I Might Be A Cunt, But I'm Not A Fucking Cunt

BTW - you say you saw them in Sidney? I hope Sid enjoyed the show too, was that one of their Sydney concerts?
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

My lackk of effort in spelling properly should be legendary by now Caravin.

Yes, I spent 5 months in australia when I was 19... great time. I wonder if I can find any of their stuff on the net (TISM)? I'll have to google it later, but if you know any links let me know!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Looks like some of the TISM stuff may be out of print. That happens a lot here sadly because of our small market (if anyone has a copy of Tabaran by Not Drowning Waving - please let me know)

Anyway your best bet is Rocking Horse Records
http://www.rockinghorse.net/quicksearch.php4

or, the biggest online retailer in Australia would be Chaos Music:
http://chaos.com/?ref=CD938_67414

http://www.tism.com.au/
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I'm a big fan of Not Drowning Waving, but I don't think I have that one.
Ack!
Speaking of which, I wanna get the DJ at my wedding to play "Spark." Whatcha think of that?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

HeuristicsInc wrote:I'm a big fan of Not Drowning Waving, but I don't think I have that one.
Ack!
Speaking of which, I wanna get the DJ at my wedding to play "Spark." Whatcha think of that?
-bill
Nice song - does your prospective father-in-law drive taxis and dress like Elvis? :)

Have you seen the movie Proof with Russell Crowe and Hugo Weaving? David Bridie did the soundtrack and that little piano phrase from Spark is a theme that sort of runs through the whole movie.

Tabaran is a great record. NDW recorded it at Rabaul in Papua New Guinea, with local musicians, including Telek. My house was robbed a few years ago and I lost a stereo, with my copy of Tabaran in the CD player. The records out of print at the moment - although hopefully a re-issue shouldn't be too far away.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

yeah, wow. just looked and the cheapest is $55.
no, he works for ibm and dresses like 'normal people'.
is the movie good? i could go rent it.
i knew about the png stuff, but i never found the album for sale... i guess that's why :(
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

HeuristicsInc wrote: is the movie good? i could go rent it.

-bill

Pretty good - it was probably the last movie Rusty Crowe made in Aus. before he became a big Hollywood star.

I think it's where I first dicovered NDW. I recall seeing the movie then going straight out to buy the soundtrack because I liked the music on it so much.

http://www.roadshow.com.au/village_prod ... ID=13650-9
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

I'm listening to the election results, and am much tempted to sample, tweak and add a funky back beat.
Then again perhaps I'll wait for the result.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

i'm listening to the a loud shrill hum in my head from bashing it against the wall as i continue to watch bush get more votes and as i listen to indiana's democratic governor give his concession speech after losing to yet another republican asshole.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

fodroy wrote:i'm listening to the a loud shrill hum in my head from bashing it against the wall as i continue to watch bush get more votes and as i listen to indiana's democratic governor give his concession speech after losing to yet another republican asshole.

Wear a helmet.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man

Post by fodroy »

Leaf wrote:
fodroy wrote:i'm listening to the a loud shrill hum in my head from bashing it against the wall as i continue to watch bush get more votes and as i listen to indiana's democratic governor give his concession speech after losing to yet another republican asshole.

Wear a helmet.
the funny thing is, that's exactly what i've been telling all the bush supporters i know to do. and i'm not kidding. i told them that they had better wear a helmet if bush wins. well, i hope they listened.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill.
This is a great album for driving. I tend to have a serious fling with it every six months or so. Wail along with harmonies, percussion with the steering wheel et cetera. Fantastic!

- I'm hoping that a songfighter creates a similarly good debut album in the near future.

Also
David Bowie - Young Americans. This is one of his best albums, and 'Young Americans' and 'Fame' two of his best singles.
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

Interpol, Turn On the Bright Lights and Antics, but mostly Turn On the Bright Lights.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I'm rather disappointed with Antics, but Interpol had a huge debut to follow up on. I'll give it a few more spins, probably, before shelving it.

Right now, I'm listening to the new Leonard Cohen album, Dear Heather. It just came in the mail from Amazon today. I'm about halfway through it, and it's sublime. I also got The new Nick Cave/Bad Seeds double album, Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus, which I'll put in after the Cohen. Unexpected plus: the packaging on the double-album is very attractive.

Now, discussion point: has anyone heard any of the new Train live album? I know a lot of you probably hate Train, but it's a strange little disc. It sounds like it's miked entirely from the audience. It's a pretty good disc if you like the band, even though it runs a bit short.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

Turn on the Bright Lights is definitely better, but Antics is alright. "Slow Hands" is certainly a FANTASTIC song, in my opinion. I've only listened through Antics once so far though, where as I've listened to Turn on the Bright Lights a good 4 or 5 times by now.