What are you listening to right now?

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

What are you listening to right now?

Post by JonPorobil »

This thread ought to be reuable, I'd think.

Right now, I'm digging on the new Green Day, but I don't think I've ever been listening to and getting into as many different CDs as I am now - communal mp3s on a huge campus-wide opennap server. It's goodness on tap, kids.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In an Aeroplane Over the Sea has gotten a few spins. So has Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted. And Cake's Comfort Eagle. And The Polyphonic Spree's new CD Together We're Heavy, which I like way better than their first album.

But for some reason, the CD I can't stop listening to (over and over again, it's great), is Ok Go, by band of same name. My roommate digs it too, thankfully.

Your turn.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Right now I'm listening to the monotonous hum of my air conditioner, accompanied by children playing in the streets and the occasional honking car.

I also have "You Keep Me Awake (Reprise)" from the Vapor Trails soundtrack stuck in my head.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Sober »

Songskirmish songs, as should everyone else ::winky fuck face::
🤠
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Gazelles »

Generic wrote:But for some reason, the CD I can't stop listening to (over and over again, it's great), is Ok Go, by band of same name.
Yeah, and for Christ's sake, when will they release a new album?

I haven't really been listening to anything in particular. I haven't gotten a new CD in ages, which is why I'm super psyched for Christmas. I've been listening I guess to some great classical stuff my Mom lent me. One is a cello and piano album with pieces written by German composers that Hitler took or something. The other one is mostly Faure's Requiem and then it has a Ravel piece at the end. Good stuff.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Probably on Wednesday, I'm going to trek down to Wal-Mart (the shuttle doesn't run Tuesdays, sadly, and I'm carless) to get the new Interpol CD (I'm about to piss myself here) and Eternal Sunshine. But the latter is a whole nother thread, isn't it?

Cello, it looks like Ok Go got fucked over by the record industry. No hit, no follow-up. :(

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Zeppelin right this minute... about to change I'd imagine.... yeah....

I've been alternativing listening to my library of tunes and the cover fights... which are pretty stellar I'd say....
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

i've been listening to a lot of wumpscut and converge lately.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Leaf wrote:Zeppelin right this minute... about to change I'd imagine.... yeah....

I've been alternativing listening to my library of tunes and the cover fights... which are pretty stellar I'd say....
was listenin' to zeppelin last night (love tangerine)

ehhh anyways off topic... right now i'm listenin' to a song i'm writing... called Denial (done on keyboard/piano)... i think i'm gonna add strings... it needs more stuff goin' on... cause it's long...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

I found some old tapes in the garage and listened to them on the way to (and from) my shows this weekend.

Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
The Posies - Dear 23
Lush - Gala
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Mmm...

Hey, are Lush any good? And I mean, I like the Cocteau Twins; are they similar? Or are they different, but still good? Or not really that good?

the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

I listen to this a lot in the car or when I'm just relaxing. It's one of those rare albums that isn't smooth jazz, but a lot of people like it who aren't into jazz. Got some great players on it, the mix is perfect, and the instrumentation is very nice too, four horns and four rhythm. You can listen to samples on Amazon, I don't know how much they give you though, probably like ten seconds.

Interestingly enough, Cosby doesn't play on it, the first song he wrote, and the rest are standards, so I guess he was mostly just producing.
Let cake eat them.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

I have listened to the Pixies' <i>Trompe Le Monde</i> probably around forty times since last sunday, when I bought the album after being thoroughly impressed by their live show. I have also listened to <i>Doolittle</i> perhaps ten times, cuz it's also pretty awesome.

Not to mention, the Flaming Lips, <i>The Soft Bulletin</i>--who knew it would grow on me so much?

Also, two insanely good albums that deserve more attention than they'll ever get:

<i>De-Loused In The Comatorium</i> by The Mars Volta

<i>Origin of Symmetry</i> by Muse
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i have mentioned this before... but...
a few months ago i started listening to every cd i own, in alphabetical order. i've made it as far as the S's. this makes for some interesting transitions, such as, in the past week i have heard sex pistols, simon & garfunkel, siouxsie & the banshees, slipknot, smashing pumpkins. (perhaps i am leaving something out, i don't know). on the way to work i was listening to "mellon collie and the infinite sadness (the blue disc)" ...

but to properly answer the question, currently i am listening to myself typing and the computer humming. woo. work sucks, thank goodness i only have like another day or two!!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

user wrote:I have listened to the Pixies' <i>Trompe Le Monde</i> probably around forty times since last sunday .... I have also listened to <i>Doolittle</i> perhaps ten times, cuz it's also pretty awesome.

interesting that you should put them that way round. I personally think Bossa Nova is an underrated album. Doolittle is fabulous, as is all their work. If you like the poppier end of the Pixies' spectrum then I highly reccommend 'Teenager of the Year' (Frank Black's 2nd solo album, criminally under-rated.)
user wrote: Also, two insanely good albums that deserve more attention than they'll ever get:

<i>De-Loused In The Comatorium</i> by The Mars Volta
<i>Origin of Symmetry</i> by Muse
I think you'll find that both got loads of attention when they came out.

I reccommend - the Rakes (the best of the current new wave of old wave punk doing the rounds in the UK), still think the Streets 'A Grand Don't Come for Free' is the best album of the year so far. Also the Television Personalities' 1980 album 'And Don't the Kids Love It' is never far from my cd player

j$
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Generic wrote:Mmm...

Hey, are Lush any good? And I mean, I like the Cocteau Twins; are they similar? Or are they different, but still good? Or not really that good?
different but still good.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i'm completely in love with the new badly drawn boy cd. listening to the clash "london calling" alot recently. and the very best of elvis costello.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Niveous wrote:
Generic wrote:Mmm...

different but still good.
Louder, less creepy. I think of them as closer to My Bloody Valentine but that might not be a fair comparison either. Gala is an okay album but if I remember right it's a compilation of b-sides and outtakes (?) so it isn't superb.

Oh! After twice dubbing (and losing both tapes) and years of casual keeping-an-eye-open-in-used-record-stores I finally found a CD copy of Lorelei: Everyone must touch the stove. It is now loud in my car and will be for quite some time and I am all happy.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Here Jon,

someone decided to post badly made MP3's of the Lush songs on their Geocities site. That ought to give you a taste of their sound. I personally suggest "Deluxe", "For Love", any song from "Split" and, of course, their hit single "Ladykillers".

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/8910/songs.html
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

My current heavy rotation includes:

Jon Brion - Meaningless (as well as a mix CD of his work from Punch Drunk Love, Magnolia, and Eternal Sunshine)
Morrissey - Bona Drag
New Order - Brotherhood
Air - Talkie Walkie
Paul Simon - Rhythm of the Saints
Rilo Kiley - More Adventurious
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Tears for Fears - Platnium Masters
Tom Waits - Small Change

Word up.
White people, is you funky?
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Post by Justincombustion »

I don't care if they ain't hip, I'm diggin Scissor Sister. It's damn good driving music. "There ain't no Tit's on the radio" sounds like a bass line Glenn Case would come up with.
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Jill Scott - Beautifully Human - Only her 2nd album and 4 years in coming. Not bad.

Rogue Wave - Out of the Shadows or something like that - Think The Shins with less adventurous melodies

The Posies - Frosting on the Blender

Belle & Sebastian - Are You Feeling Sinister?

Songfight, Coverfight & Song Skirmish

Right this very minute I'm listening to some strange ranting by Ken Nordine on Word Jazz from my cool jazz playlist on the Ipod, which includes Brubeck, Miles, Mingus, MJQ, Bill Evans. Yummy stuff.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Right now I'm listening to The Skatalites - Ball of Fire. These guys are like a combination of (modern) ska and jazz. They were certainly around for the invention of ska, actually, so they're much closer to the original idea of it, I think :) They do an excellent live show too.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas