conlon nancarrow

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
jute gyte
Mean Street

conlon nancarrow

Post by jute gyte »

(note: this isn't so much a 'currently digging' thread as it is general music thread, but this seems to be the best place for that too.)

does anyone here have any opinions on the work of conlon nancarrow? based on this site, it seems very interesting. i'm thinking about purchasing some cds. any opinions?
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I'm not familiar with his work from disc to disc, but I love what of Nancarrow I've heard. Especially the Player Piano study "Canon in X." I would suggest finding a compliation CD, if one exists, and purchasing that.

Perhaps others here will know more about him.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

I had two records years back and played them till the grooves were pretty worn. I loved it very loud, in headphones, while being very high. Knowing how he composed his studies for player piano I imagined he was targeting altered states. Well, that was the justification, anyway.

There are some pianists who play a couple of the more "human" studies in concert and I've heard a couple. Can't think of their names but you know how to search Amazon. I actually like the swing of a human performance of such mechanical pieces. Sort of like the London Phill or Ensemble Modern doing Zappa's synclavir scores.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face