Green Day: American Idiot

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Green Day: American Idiot

Post by mkilly »

I think it's fuckin' great. I don't feel embarrassed to listen to Green Day, for once.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i haven't owned any green day albums since dookie, but there's a pretty good review of this one in the recent issue of guitar world, in which they refer to it as a "punk rock opera" of sorts. i'm not sure how tongue-in-cheek that was, but the review has intrigued me enough to at least attempt to listen to the album. and see if i'm interested in buying it.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

They meant "punk rock-opera" (and not "punk-rock/opera") where rock-opera is taken to mean "a set of rock music where an entire story is told through the lyrics, usually as dialogue".
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I don't think the punk opera interpretation holds much ground. But the music is brilliant anyway, so what do I care? I particularly love the two ten-minute tracks, with like five songs apiece.

My brother thought "Whatshername" was the only dud, but I thought it was a great closer. And even the weaker tracks have a way of growing on you. One of the year's best, I'd say.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

The middle of Jesus of Suburbia, somewhere around the 4 (or 5) minute mark, where there is happy acoustic guitar in the right speaker and a snare drum in the left speaker, is the bounciest 60 seconds of music I've ever heard. Fun.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Definitely in my top 3 albums of the year.

I was really blown away by this, I'm not a Green Day fan at all. That said, this album has some kikass songwriting, and fantastic production.

Highly recommended.

:!:
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

I'm really surprised by all this. Because I think 'American Idiot' is a really bad song. Maybe I'll have to give this cd a try sometime.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

i downloaded this yesterday.. it is way better than i expected, but i'm not too excited yet.

i will give it another virtual spin today.

-craig
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I am listening to CCR's 'Born on the Bayou', 'Fortunate Son' and 'It Came Out of the Sky' on repeat at the moment.

I have decided that a) CCR are the best american rock band (though I knew that already) and b) they are the American Kinks, in the way they are perceived. Not up there with the Beatles or the Stones, but in many ways their equal. I dunno if that's how they're seen in the States (i.e. not quite a household name) but they should be mentioned loads more in the music press than they are.

j$
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

that's completely how i feel about ccr.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

You know this is way off topic...

However, CCR here in Western Canada is a STAPLE of cover bands. Everybody seems to love CCR songs. I sing a couple CCR or Fogarty tunes, and they ALWAYS work. People always dance, and sing along and get right into it. If a gig isn't happening, bust out the CCR... mind you , I'm playing the pub/bar band circuit, to fishermen and loggers, but still... they are a great band.

Green Day I have a lot of respect for... I'd like to get this album, I enjoy the new video.. VERY colourful. I think they seem much more legit to me than say, simple plan or Good Charlotte, who MAY be good bands, but I have no time for them.
The only bands of that genre that do anything for me are Blink and Green Day. Blink because, frankly, they seem to write good songs, and they look like they'd be a fun fun fun band to be in, Green Day cause they are doing it cause it's what they are, not what everyone else is doing... although they are now...
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

OK, I like this album a lot.

"are we the waiting" is epic.

-craig
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

j$ wrote:blah blah ccr
CCR is well-respected. Though, less so since John Fogerty quit and they started touring as like on detachment member under the name Creedence Clearwater Revisited. They play very small-scale venues (county fairs, mostly--I don't know what the UK equivalent of a county is, because I'm not sure if e.g. Essex County is the same size as your standard American county).
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I like CCR, but what have they to do with Green Day?

The Human Cello, you must be my brother in disguise. I swear. Actually, though, you're right. "American Idiot" is the worst song on American Idiot by far. And it's the reason people keep thinking the album is political when it's not. Listen, have fun.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

OK i admit that I thought I was just in a generally 'currently digging' thread not a specific Green Day thread.

But in a way retrospective way, this is my point. Like any band that does a nice bit of rock with a punk edge (like Green Day) are probably more influenced by CCR than they would admit in the press, because there are 'cooler' bands to name-check. No diss of GD, just the way I perceive it, from x thousand miles distant. that's how the Kinks are here - musicians' musicians.

I admit I'm reaching here ;)

j$
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

I bet the members of Green Day love CCR. Myself being a psychic and all. But really--I just have a strong feeling that Green Day must be CCR fans. And j$, you're right that they probably have (even subconciously) omitted admitting that to the press, just because CCR's not on the cool list.

"Omitted admitting" is fun to say.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

But on the other hand, who isn't a CCR fan?

Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I know a few...mostly people who equate how old a song is with how old people are, and as if age somehow means that "you don't get it" or whatever cliche about this you can think off, I doubt many here don't know what I'm referring too!! I like to use CCR as an example of how these dudes (or usually dude) wrote cool music in their twenties and thirties... that the rocking vibe isn't exclusive to ignorant teens (not directed at informed teens mind you...) you know the type, that are still caught up in the myth that their youth is immortal, that they are the only ones that have any concept of style, shit they invented it?

One day Green Day will be regarded this way too....

I however, hold to the notion that this whole attitiude is a crock.
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne
Pronouns: he/him

Post by c.layne »

Generic wrote:But on the other hand, who isn't a CCR fan?
me ^_^
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

love some ccr stuff... they were pretty good...

but ehhh the single for american idiot blew... so i am curious to hear how the rest of the CD sounded... are the rest of the songs really similar to that song!?!? or are there a lot of better songs on the CD?
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

what is the single?
i think the title track is the worst song on it.

-craig
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

The title track is the single.