My Valentine (McCartney)

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

My Valentine (McCartney)

Post by Mostess »

Damn that's a fine song. I'd listen to a whole album of covers of that song. It's fertile soil.

The mix of minor and major modes is heartbreaking, the lyrics are sweet and dark at the same time, and it's all baked into such a deceptively simple ditty with no chorus. Just verse-with-hook, verse-with-hook, bridge, verse-with-hook. Done.

Can you double-knight someone? Or heck, just crown the man king.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: My Valentine (McCartney)

Post by Lunkhead »

I've only heard it once, seeing him play it on SNL. I thought it was great, too. Do you know if the rest of that album is as good?
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Re: My Valentine (McCartney)

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I like the album a lot because of the songs he chooses. He picked literally THREE songs that have always been personal favorites, two of which no one ever covers. I imagined sitting in a room with Paul bonding over the two hidden gems, crying out "I know, why doesn't anyone else know about this great song!" The two are More I Cannot Wish You and Inchworm. We also apparently share a love for It's Only a Paper Moon.

His voice is over, and he knows it. Which is sad, but at least he's not straining to recapture what it once was.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/