General Updates

Announcements of changes or happenings in the Song Fight universe.
Lunkhead
Beat It
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

General Updates

Post by Lunkhead »

i added 20 years ago fights to the home page. I also tweaked the layout for the fight anniversaries too.

Jack Shite reported that the Hxaro Covers link on the homepage was just pointing to a directory listing of files. I found the right link which is the same path but on songfight.net and updated the homepage link to use that.
BoffoYux
Mean Street
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Re: General Updates

Post by BoffoYux »

Thanks for fixing the link. I just noticed that the last 5 or so years of cover songs probably need updating. I can try and do a list of what is missing through the forums, but who would be updating it?

Also wondering is there 'local' SF place that hosts the songs, or is it all at the whim of wherever the songs are and we just link to the .mp3s until the links break? Niv's deep dive into the archives got me thinking of how many of the sidefights are scattered. Not sure the best method to fix that, but it was on my mind, and I'm sure others have contemplated a way to do it.

I'd hate to see classics like 'Masterpieces - A Tribute To The Music Of The Fightmasters' be lost because the link to Niv's old site is broken.
http://www.niveousrayside.com/masterpieces.html
Lunkhead
Beat It
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I think historically the most common scenario was that sidefight songs were self hosted by the folks how made them, and yes, that did frequently lead to links that got old and broke over the years.

The Hxaro and covers archive was the handiwork of King Arthur starting circa late 2007/early 2008, in response to that issue of decay and with some agreement from JB to setup an "official" space for these things, it sounds like:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4945

That long predates my involvement as an admin so I don't really know what happened or how it worked. Song Fight's current hosting setup is goes back a very long way and uses mostly pretty old rudimentary tech like FTP and PHP and text files. Probably getting the level of access needed to maintain that archive could be granted to someone who wanted to take up the mantle of maintaining that archive. I don't really have the bandwidth to take that on though personally.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

DM me if you want access or an archive or space for a sidelight. Song Fight is happy to provide hosting resources to people in the community, flowing around the .net domain.

Happy to set up subdomains if needed, though keep in mind it’s a Dreamhost “shared hosting” account so you’re not gonna be able to host like, your own daemons or media server or whatever.

It’s all on the honor system, y’know if you’re like King Arthur and I’ve known you since way back when he was in his fifties. ;)

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

The Nur Ein database is contest-neutral and can accommodate all sorts of contests. I just never got to it, but it is a possibility if it's something people want. I was going to try it with the Circle of Songs a few years ago...