General Updates

Announcements of changes or happenings in the Song Fight universe.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

General Updates

Post by Lunkhead »

i added 20 years ago fights to the home page. I also tweaked the layout for the fight anniversaries too.

Jack Shite reported that the Hxaro Covers link on the homepage was just pointing to a directory listing of files. I found the right link which is the same path but on songfight.net and updated the homepage link to use that.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Re: General Updates

Post by BoffoYux »

Thanks for fixing the link. I just noticed that the last 5 or so years of cover songs probably need updating. I can try and do a list of what is missing through the forums, but who would be updating it?

Also wondering is there 'local' SF place that hosts the songs, or is it all at the whim of wherever the songs are and we just link to the .mp3s until the links break? Niv's deep dive into the archives got me thinking of how many of the sidefights are scattered. Not sure the best method to fix that, but it was on my mind, and I'm sure others have contemplated a way to do it.

I'd hate to see classics like 'Masterpieces - A Tribute To The Music Of The Fightmasters' be lost because the link to Niv's old site is broken.
http://www.niveousrayside.com/masterpieces.html
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I think historically the most common scenario was that sidefight songs were self hosted by the folks how made them, and yes, that did frequently lead to links that got old and broke over the years.

The Hxaro and covers archive was the handiwork of King Arthur starting circa late 2007/early 2008, in response to that issue of decay and with some agreement from JB to setup an "official" space for these things, it sounds like:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4945

That long predates my involvement as an admin so I don't really know what happened or how it worked. Song Fight's current hosting setup is goes back a very long way and uses mostly pretty old rudimentary tech like FTP and PHP and text files. Probably getting the level of access needed to maintain that archive could be granted to someone who wanted to take up the mantle of maintaining that archive. I don't really have the bandwidth to take that on though personally.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

DM me if you want access or an archive or space for a sidelight. Song Fight is happy to provide hosting resources to people in the community, flowing around the .net domain.

Happy to set up subdomains if needed, though keep in mind it’s a Dreamhost “shared hosting” account so you’re not gonna be able to host like, your own daemons or media server or whatever.

It’s all on the honor system, y’know if you’re like King Arthur and I’ve known you since way back when he was in his fifties. ;)

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

The Nur Ein database is contest-neutral and can accommodate all sorts of contests. I just never got to it, but it is a possibility if it's something people want. I was going to try it with the Circle of Songs a few years ago...
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I just quickly hacked together a download link and put it on the homepage. It's extremely rudimentary for now which means that it's going to load and zip up all the files when you click it, so it will be a bit slow. It will include every song from the current fight, though, including late songs. When I have more time I will make it more sophisticated so that it only creates the zip file if necessary.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

I guess that means I'm useless now...
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

jast wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:21 pm
Isn't that your reviewomatic that we are using? Or am I mistaken?
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

jast wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:21 pm
Hopefully I haven't offended you. I did it in response to this post:

viewtopic.php?p=229886#p229886
Aciniform Artifice wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:26 am
WreckdoM missing from the "Song Fight! Review-O-Matic & ZIP mirror" and when I clicked the "trigger an update" link it just told me that the most recent songs are already there.

So OK, I'll just do this the old fashioned way.
My memory isn't so great because between the last time this came up and now I've have 50 million other things pass through my brain, so maybe my response wasn't totally accurate. I just though if I could make a "first party" zip download that would include late songs, and if I could spend very little time on it, that I should just go ahead and do it.
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

Lunkhead wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:23 pm
Hopefully I haven't offended you.
You're going to have to try a whole lot harder to offend me. :D

As I said previously, and maybe this is a good place to repeat it, there is an undocumented way to re-generate an existing ZIP archive on my site:
append an "allow_redownload=1" query parameter to the page URL.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

jast wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:50 am
As I said previously, and maybe this is a good place to repeat it, there is an undocumented way to re-generate an existing ZIP archive on my site:
append an "allow_redownload=1" query parameter to the page URL.
While it would be more work for you, perhaps a simple link/button labelled "hit this for late entries to be included" would solve the problem. I'd be remiss if I didn't thank you for having all this set up. I've used it a fair bit.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

It would be trivial to set up a button like that but I don't want it to be hammered by bots and such. I'll have to think about how to extend the current rate limiting scheme.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

If you're using playlist.txt, you should be able to use if-modified-since/if-none-match for version control.
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

TIL about playlist.txt.
I'll look into it just as soon as I have time.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I've added a "review" button to the home page under the "download all" button. It links to this new page I just hacked together:

https://www.songfight.org/reviews.php

That page will dynamically generate a review template based on all the songs currently in the current fight. So if a song gets added after the fact it will automatically get included in the template from then on. When you click "preview" it takes you to a post editor form in the review thread. There's an error message but you can ignore that and fill in your reviews then preview/post from there.

Try it out if you get a chance and let me know if it works. You have to be logged in to the forums first for it to work, fyi.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Hmm, with the difficulties people are having with phpBB's preview interface (which is, to be fair, awful), maybe it'd make more sense for the textarea to just have a thing where if you click on it, it gets copied to the clipboard. Or maybe there's a better verb to bring up the full post editor than "preview."

Or maybe there's a hidden phpBB API that can be used to prefill the composer or something. It's been a while since I messed with that (2.x era) so I have no idea what the current state of things is.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Not sure if it's just me, but clicking on that Reviews, Preview button just keeps bringing me to a Log In page (even though I've already logged in) and then nothing shows up.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

ujnhunter wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:20 pm
Not sure if it's just me, but clicking on that Reviews, Preview button just keeps bringing me to a Log In page (even though I've already logged in) and then nothing shows up.
It's not just you. When you log in to you check the "Remember me" checkbox? It seems like so far not doing that is what leads to this issue but I haven't really verified that, I've just had a couple other folks have the problem you're having and say they don't use that checkbox. (I do use it.)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I'll probably just have to do like what fluffy suggested and make it less useful, and have it just copy the review template and take you to the review thread. :roll:
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Looks like Logging Out and then Logging In again with the Remember Me Checkbox fixed that issue for me. Thanks.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.