Hello? May I speak to the Zero to Phantom Reviews?

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

your fiddler just joined my band.... :D
Hi!
NippleCreekFairy
A New Player

Post by NippleCreekFairy »

jack shite wrote:your fiddler just joined my band.... :D
That slut!
You know who I am
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Caravan Ray wrote:Fair call - but I'm not a true Canetoad yet, after 8 years I'm still considered a Cockroach (of Novocastrian origin). My brain will need a few more years pickling in XXXX and Bundy before I become a proper banana-bender. Save your sympathy for the sandgropers (Hentai Kitty Death)
Wow, I have no idea what any of that means.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

just wanna say i appreciate all the reviews i don't reply to most of 'em... just cause most would be the same answers...

pretty much my response to all in one lump sum
ehhh the lyrics were all adlibbed while i recorded it...
sept of course the zero to phantom thing haha
uhm... i had to stand at the back door to sing it...
still clipped like hell... but ehhh
i did it like an hour or two before the time
originally didn't plan on doin' the song
but i had the house free...
so i felt like letting loose
cause i could
i apologize for all the clipping
i hate that there isn't
much i can do to fix that...
it wouldn't have sounded good if i would've tried to sing it quiet enough to not clip
it would've just been really muddy... which i don't really mind
but ehhh i felt like letting loose
someday... someday...
anyways sorry to those who didn't like the idea or concept or wished i wouldn't have submitted...
and thanx for all the reviews and for some pretty kind words even through some really harsh production

i promise next weeks won't be as bad with the clipping and such
but ehhh won't promise it'll be that good either... i'm still trying
eventually i'll get a microphone... that's not built-in... that's halfway decent
and maybe a pre-amp like suggested... (which now that i'm thinkin' of it i may go check some prices... just incase i do somehow come across money and choose to get that... instead of pay off my debt haha)

\m/ thank you for your patience... or atleast attempts of it... glad there is a song fight... and now i'm gettin' all sappy :'(

:-*

and all my dignity.... woosh... gone...
(sorry for the long reply to everything...)
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Yo:

<b>Freddielove:</b> Smooth. The fake drums fit this perfectly. That xylophone's a sweet sound. The bridge at about 1:45 is a little too overblown for my taste, and it tears through the nice relaxed feel a little too harshly. But in general, this song is quite good.

<b>Iron Clef:</b> Nice beat. The vocals are just annoying. This is silly and fun, but it little <i>too</i> silly.

<b>Kelvinator:</b> Well produced and performed. This is a <b>little</b> on the boring and too pretty-pretty side, but it'll do.

<b>The Nipple Creek Fairies:</b> Ooh, now this is fun. Nice fiddlin'. Goes on a little long, though.

<b>Poor June:</b> The recording rattles my ears. I'm not crazy about the repetition of those two piano riffs, nor the indistinctly patterned vocals.

<b>Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff:</b> This is a really predictable tune, with unusually good performance and production. I like the electric guitar noodles, though.

<b>Johnny Cashpoint:</b> I like the lyrics, but the music doesn't push any buttons.

<b>Futureboy:</b> Aside from your voice not quite sounding right on those high notes, this a lotta fun. The arpeggio-ing bloops are especially nice. The snare/claps oughta be a little louder,

<b>Creep:</b> Your voice is too subdued and muffled--all the different vocals that happen at the same time blend together indistinctly. That's especially unsuitable for lyrics that talk about rage and being a badass motherfucker. This needs RATM or Stuck Mojo vocals to get anywhere at all. Cool beat though, and the smooth singing starting at 1:11 is pretty decent. You should do more of that singing coupled with <i>really</i> aggressive rapping. And stop talking about being a badass--that gets really annoying.

<b>The Befores:</b> Very well done. You have your shit together, and lo, it is good.

<b>& the Delicate Flowers:</b> Where the fuck is your <i>real</i> lead singer? Chicago???

<b>Deshead:</b> See my review for the Befores. Then add a few extra points. Great job.

<b>Hostess Mostess:</b> The drums don't add anything here. The tune is pretty cool, somewhere in the upper middle range.

<b>Josh Woodward:</b> There oughta be a more reverb on your voice. The drums kinda glitch up here and there in an uncomfortable way. I don't like how this started out all techno-Cher, then avoided the techno for a while, then sorta fell back into it. The techno is altogether annoying. This would be a lot better as a folksy song.

<b>The Mod K Crew:</b> Maybe you didn't intend it, but this speaks loads about religion. And it's hilarious. You win.

<b>tripped:</b> This has a pretty boring melody, though the beat provides a decent distraction from that. Your voice should be brought out more.

I'm voting for <b>WreckdoM</b> (I mean, the Mod K Crew). Lack of WreckdoM would mean a vote for <b>Deshead</b>.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward
Pronouns: he/him

Post by joshw »

Scoring Key: (Production, Performance, Song)

Only new songs are reviewed.

Delicate Flowers (6, 7, 6)

The highs (mainly the shaker) in this are really sharp and distracting, and the lows are pretty much non-existant. The song has a fun feel. I like the vocal delivery. The lyrics aren't great. I don't understand the zero to phantom thing. Around the 2m mark I'm getting kinda bored.

Befores (10, 9, 9)

This sounds very rich after the Delicate Flowers. :) Pretty voice. This is really beautiful. Awesome production - it's got a very haunting feeling. "Take me to bliss" is a little shoehorned. Lovely chord progression. Ahh.. PotO lyrics? This is probably the first time I've ever given a 10 for production score, and you definitely earned it. Wow. I'd love to hear about your process and equipment. Thanks for submitting this at a high bandwidth. This is quite possibly the best song I've heard on SF to date, congrats.

Creep (7, 7, 6)

The rapping isn't too bad. You aren't trying to be black. :) The verse at 1:11 seems to kinda fall flat. The filtered vocals work for parts, but there are some vocal parts that really ought to be unfiltered to contrast.

Deshead (8, 7, 8)

Ahhh.. a Rhodes, after my heart. Very nice. One thing I'm noticing about both this and your last one is that there's a little too much ambience of some sort. I can't put my finger on how. I like the verse and the chorus a lot, but it took too long to get to the chorus the first time. It started dragging on the second rep of the first verse. The chorus vocals could use a little more energy in the first part. The second part is good. Pretty part at 3:25, and the rock part after it is great (though it comes in abruptly). This feels a little long but would be about right if you killed half of the first verse. This would be enough to win most fights, but it'd take a hell of a lot to dethrone the Befores.

Freedilove (8, 7, 8)

Nice feel. The instrumentation is perfect. The glock in the verses and the tremolo in the chorus-type-thing are particularly good. And more Rhodes.. mmm. I like the phantom-random rhyme. Kind of a Belle & Sebastian vibe, which is tops in my book. Get Stuart to sing this and I'd be in heaven. The bass line around 2:00 seems to be playing the wrong notes. Bizarre and pretty ending. This is another great one, well done.

Futureboy (6, 6, 7)

This is fun, but kind of a boring arrangement. Any bonus points gained from the optional challenge are killed from the horrible things the 64kbps compression does to this. The vocal delivery bothers me. Great bass slide after the bridge. I also like the arpeggiated keys in the chorus.

Hostess Mostess (7, 7, 7)

This is fun. The snare sound is a little harsh and distracting. The repetive feel of the verses is cool, kinda hypnotic. And when the chorus comes in it really highlights it. I'd have liked to hear chorus drums be real, though. I like the lyrics. Neat take.

The Iron Clef

Why?

Johnny Cashpoint

This is probably the worst song I've heard from you.

Kelvinator (8, 8, 9)

Interesting. The strong autotune is an interesting effect. Pretty melody. Love the electric that comes in at 1:01. I like how this flirts with pop territory but has just enough interesting things to keep it from being bland at all. The building electrics are nice. I could do without the guitar solo, but the acoustic pullback is very nice. There's a lot of depth to this, a lot to chew on. For some reason the ending has me hoping you'll segue into "Origin of Love" from Hedwig. But I'm insane, so don't mind me. This would have won most fights, and I personally enjoy this best so far, but the Befores are still ahead out of sheer talent.

Ken's SDBAS (7, 7, 7)

Too much reverb in the mix, I'm getting kinda dizzy. The verse was a little boring until the neat "please come home tonight" part. The claps are nice. This is definitely fun, but there's nothing here that stands up to the serious heavy lifters in this fight.

Modkcrew

One Wreckdom is bad enough.

Nipple Creek Fairies (4, 7, 6)

The 64kbps and the harsh cymbal hits make this painful to listen to. I can't really get into the song, sorry.

Poor June (5, 6, 6)

Do you mic your keyboard? If you've got a direct output, that'll help your sound a lot. You're way too far away from your vocal mic, too. Some clipping during the chorus. The verse is ok, the chorus is better. This one isn't really moving me one way or the other, though.

Tripped (6, 7, 6)

Not much aside from the drumbeat is standing out here. It's drowning out everything else, and I can't really understand the vocals. In other words, there's nothing interesting to concentrate on. It sounds like you might have some interesting ideas, but I can't really tell.

Josh Woodward (me)

Production Notes

While I'll probably listen to Kelvinator more on a regular basis, the Befores wowed me more, so they get my vote. This fight was incredibly strong as a whole.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

joshw wrote:Delicate Flowers
The lyrics aren't great. I don't understand the zero to phantom thing.
Explanation to follow in the lyrics thread!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

joshw wrote:
Johnny Cashpoint
You hate them all. Since you see me as a lost case, not worthy of suggestions on how to improve on what I've got, your opinion isn't very useful to me.

That and I'm just as guilty the other way.

I'll put it down to a kps grudge. ;)

J$
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

j$ wrote:
joshw wrote:
Johnny Cashpoint
You hate them all. Since you see me as a lost case, not worthy of suggestions on how to improve on what I've got, your opinion isn't very useful to me.

That and I'm just as guilty the other way.

I'll put it down to a kps grudge. ;)

J$
well, he hated mine too johnny. but i loved your tune, in all it's fine 64k glory. maybe we should do a JITC song about his sexual preferences.... :wink:
Hi!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

j$ wrote:I'll put it down to a kps grudge. ;)
apologies, but i'm feeling rather slow today. kps?
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Richard WreckdoM »

Mogosagatai wrote:
<b>The Mod K Crew:</b> Maybe you didn't intend it, but this speaks loads about religion. And it's hilarious. You win.

I'm voting for <b>WreckdoM</b> (I mean, the Mod K Crew). Lack of WreckdoM would mean a vote for <b>Deshead</b>.

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that someone else enjoyed it. Keep on Rockin! I've been slowly churning out some reviews, but I didn't want to post partials. They should be up here soon. As usual some really great stuff.

Thank you all!
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

joshw wrote: Poor June (5, 6, 6)

Do you mic your keyboard? If you've got a direct output, that'll help your sound a lot. You're way too far away from your vocal mic, too. Some clipping during the chorus. The verse is ok, the chorus is better. This one isn't really moving me one way or the other, though.
well the built-in mic... i don't have any chords to hook my keyboard up to the computer... so yea i record from a mic... a really crappy one at that... but it came built on the computer...

(new guy name i can't remember right now)
yea well i can understand the annoyance of repetition... i'd add more to songs... but either the mix will clip worse... or it'll get really muddy... it's hard to make a decent sounding full song... with the equipment at the moment...

Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Ok, I've been meaning to post reviews but I've got this problem with Songfight not always loading for me ... Hopefully I get to it soon.

For those of you dissatisfied with my singing, I agree with you. I've also been dissatisfied with my singing lately. I think I'm out of practice or am going through a "change" or something. I plan to start singing every day so hopefully my quality of delivery and intonation will improve on future submissions.

Thank you, goodnight.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Poor June wrote:(new guy name i can't remember right now)
Not new, just tired of being called "user".
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Mogosagatai wrote:
Poor June wrote:(new guy name i can't remember right now)
Not new, just tired of being called "user".
yea i thought it was you... but i didn't wanna assume... it's all cool... i just couldn't remember that name at the moment and was bein' lazy

Freddielove
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Reviews

Post by Freddielove »

& the Delicate Flowers
Nice harmonica playing. Solid enough song. Good guitar playing. Nothing really elevates this song though. It’s the same from the beginning to the end with no variation. Take a listen at how some of the other entries use build up and release to create anticipation in their songs, rather than being flat the way through.

Befores
The production is first rate, with the best here. The songwriting is great as well. The vocals bring this down though. The singing seems flat and nasal and doesn't go with the style of music. They also are recorded too dry. I think you could have a great voice, but sounds like you are trying too hard here. It does get better towards the end, another take with more relaxed vocals would be great.

Chili Magnets
I liked this, if only because it’s about Sweden and has no relationship to the title.

Creep
Nice flow, I wish you had something better to say. Cool beats, nice production, good voice. Could use a better angle on the title.

Deshead
Quiet is the new loud. Nice build and release. The tone of the guitar in the verse sounds out of place. Nice feel for building momentum with the vocals. Awesome guitar solo. Perfect in context and well played. Only complaint is there is nothing in the melody that stays with me after the song is over.

Drew
Yes. I can't believe I hadn't heard this one yet. I can't believe it's not 128k. I can't stop singing this one. This is one of the best things I've ever heard. "Shopping at the convenience store...." A songfight classic.

Future Boy
"Maybe you don't understand my obsession with cheese" great opener. I like the rhythm of the words in the second half of the chorus. The vocals aren't great but so what. Funny song, great story.

Oh yeah....

Gil Sans and Jonathan
I like the reverberated space of the song. The guitar solo is ok. The organ sound is great.

Oh yeah….

Hostess Mostess
Nice spare 80s keyboard sound. The vocals with the pause in the verse work well with this. The guitar in the part B is a good idea, the playing needs improvement though, flat on some notes. Overall, good song.

zero

The Iron Clef
A song about about 64k mono, would have been better in 32. Cool beat, like the cowbell. Vocals get on my nerves.

Johnny Cashpoint
Classic Cashpoint. Interesting lyrics, minimalist sound. I didn't hear the percussion until several listens, could be brought up a little. Nice you took up the optional challenge.

sausage

Josh Woodward
Arpeggiated keyboard, ok I'm with you. Nice wispy vocals. Ah, nice switch, bringing the vocals in front. Now we are rocking. I like the way the rhythm guitar is panned right and left. Nice chorus, has some edge to it, though it sounds more like a bridge. Add a chorus and make that the bridge and you would have something. Sounds unfinished, I think I read as much in your thoughts on the song. I would like to hear a retake of this one.

Kelvinator
Wow this is great. Now I'm getting all misty eyed. This reminds me of early nineties British rock, which I adore, and I quite can't quite place the band. Oh you hit me that distorted diminished chord, Sniffle, I am really into this. I love the line "When I'm holding on, do I hold you back" nice one. I think the filter on the vocals works here, adds to the effect of the song. I could do without the Graham Coxon by numbers guitar solo, but small quibble. By far, my favorite of the new songs.

Ken Super Duper Band n’ Stuff
Catchy song. Nice riff with the double stops on the guitar, the blues noodling the rest of the way crowds the song though.

Kompressor
ZERO TO PHANTOM KOMPRESSER IN ACTION!
Awesome.

don’t eat sausage….

Metalmags
Nintendo samples and Casio rhythms. I like this. Nice counterpoint vocals on zero. Nice Casio rhythm switch there. A little to close to the mic in some of the vocals.

Mod K Crew
The part about the manual was funny, that’s about it.

Nipple Creek Fairies
Blue grass gimmick song. Well done though. No real suggestions here. Nice change in the bass in the second part. Well played throughout though the song writing doesn’t really inspire.

dub

Poor June
You have a unique, personal style. The different instruments don’t ever seem to agree with each other. Not a critique so much as an observation. The vocals are peeking quite a back, need to back off the levels. Interesting listen.

Kuala Lumpur….

Tripped
Like the high and low vocal, they work well together. The vocal style fits well here. The keyboard sample gets repetitive. Showing the limits of loop based composing. I like the low buzz solo under the scratching. Could use an extra something, a break or style switch.

I think I turned in my worst vocal performance since “The Chair We Share” which was intentionally bad. I think my favorite part is the keyboard solo. I realized that the chord structure is similar to “Lay Lady Lay” after it was done. There is also an almost cribbed lyric from the Mama’s and the Papa’s. So this song is a “tribute” to 60s artists I suppose.

Good.
Befores
Deshead
Future Boy
Hostess Mostess
Josh Woodward
Kompressor
Ken’s Super Duper Band n’ Stuff

Great
Drew
Kelvinator.

Kelvinator made me cry but Drew made me laugh more so he takes it.

Final score – Drew wins.
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

jack shite wrote:well, he hated mine too johnny. but i loved your tune, in all it's fine 64k glory. maybe we should do a JITC song about his sexual preferences.... :wink:
Ha! But all my songs are about how much I hate JW and other songfight players! (this is a joke)

We should do another JitC this week. I almost mailed ya my 'Red Skates' but the lyric content is so depreesingly depraved that I'm wavering on whether to submit it at all ...

Sorry I digress.
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Future Boy »

Ok, my head hurts, I think I'm coming down with something, but I'm going to do reviews while I can still access Songfight.

Amber Waves of Brains - I like the band name. I like the mood of the song.

& the Delicate Flowers - It fits my current mood. Nice shaker. Shake it.

The Befores - Really can't stand the doots at the beginning, especially when you start "harmonizing." The vocal is almost there, but not quite. Lyrics are meh. Arrangement is great. Song is too long for my current mood.

Chili Magnets - It's just cheeky.

Creep - It's, like, rap-rock, without the rock. Bleep bleep.

Deshead - The opening is too much of a Radiohead ripoff. And I still can't get over how much you sound like Woodward, a vocal style I just don't care for. Nice production, don't really like the song.

Drew - It's still just as awesome three years later.

Freddielove - Lovely little celesta sound. It is a good song.

Future Boy - It's me. Go me. I have done much better in the past.

Gil Sans & Jonathan - Man this is an epic.

Hostess Mostess - I d-d-dig it. That bouncy bass sound is awesome. Who is responsible for the arrangement? Hostess or Mostess?

The Iron Clef - YOU WISH YOU WERE AS GOOD AS ME BUT YOU SUCK SO MUCH! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Johnny Cashpoint - I like the melody on this one a lot. I'm not sure you actually need the doubled vocals. Keepupthegoodwork.

Josh Woodward - I would have liked it a lot better if you hadn't ditched the "techo" stuff in favor of the rock band so quickly. Also, when the acoustic drums first come in they aren't quite sync'd up with the electro stuff in the background and I'm not too keen on the beat, the double snare hit, it just doesn't work for me. I think a straight ahead, solid rock beat would be much more satisfying. If I could just get over your vocal style, I think I would like this song a lot with a little tightening up.

Kelvinator - I like your voice. But the song sounds very familiar, a little too familiar.

KSDBnS - Whoever it was that said you don't get the cred you deserve, I totally agree. This is a good good song and I am voting for it.

Kompressor - He no longer needs us.

MC Short Bus - Wah! Wah! Wah! Wah! Wah!

Metalmags - It so cute!

The Mod K Crew - Well, you got a chuckle outta me.

Narbotic - Look, he's in a metal room.

The Nipple Creek Fairies - I'm not sure how I feel about synthetic bluegrass. I'm also not sure about the lyrics.

Poor June - Someone should give you money for better equipment so you can stop being so poor. Maybe you should try writing lyrics first.

Prickly Pears - Yep, it's prickly all right.

tripped - I assume this sounds a lot better in stereo. For being 64kpbs, you did a good job with the sound quality. The vocal is a little low, I think. It's all a bit repetitive.

-----------------------------

There ya go. Reviews. Amen.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

PricklyPears – Not worth a review.

Deshead – Excelent production, really digging the shakers in the beginning. Song felt a bit long though, though you may want to disregard that considering most of the tracks I record peak at 3 minutes. All in all very well done and a likely vote.

Josh Woodward – I'm really loving this intro, feels very trippy and cool with all the reverb on the vocal track. I like the drum pattern and the quality level for them is way beyond my ability, but they don't sound like they are lining up with the rest of the song...

Kompressor – Extreamly boring. Sounds like you looped a 15 second segment over and over again for 2 minutes.

Johnny Cashpoint – I swear to god that this is far from your best. Forgive me for liking your other songs a lot more.

Kelvinator – Very high production quality, and I'm really feeling this track in a musical since. The guitar's have so much life and the usage of Autotune is right-up-my-ally. Love it. On a musical level however I wish you hadn't done such a good job producing a song called “Zero To Phantom”. Feels like such a waste for such a lame title. Freaking fantastic job.

Hostess Mostess – So many good songs in the first 5 is really seriously gonna hurt the rest of you guys. I can say that already. I feel like I'm watching somebody singing to a casio keyboard.

Future Boy – I'm getting the same vibe from this as I got from Hostess Mostess. Same review.

Kens Super Duper Band And Stuff – Cool. Another excellently written and produced song for such a lame title. I guess I'm the only person who thought it was lame eh? So much effort this week. This song is another possible vote, and totally would be guaranteed a vote if Deshead and Kelvinator weren't in the fight (sorry Josh, I typically worship you but not this week).

Freddie Love – This has Lil'Jon bass, which I'm really really seriously not digging this early in the morning. This however would make awesome Starbucks Coffee background music. God. On any audio system without a subwoofer I swear. From the outside of my car this song would sound like “Get Some CRUNK In Yo System”.

Mod K Crew – Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ah. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ah. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Darth Vader.

Chili Magnets – Seriously dude, who listens to this kind of music? Who do you know that listens to this?

Gilsans & Jonathan – I have no clue what you are saying but it sounds so cool I honestly don't mind looking up the lyrics. I would say up the vocal volume except for the fact that I kind of like the weird mood it's putting me in. Excelent guitar production. Great musical effort. What kind of guitar is that?

Creap – Dropping multiple F's in the song just completely killed your chances of getting a good review from me. Dropping the F is so completely and totally a cop-out for writing decent lyrics it's not even funny.

Iron Clef – What the heck is up with everybody's fascination with making music with those cheesy vocal modifiers?

Poor June – The lyrics and piano are cool. I so wish you wouldn't try scream-singing because every time you do you end up sounding very Creed-Meets-Matchbox-Twenty. However I still feel like most songfighters aren't given an honest chance because of the equipment they have available. You couldn't expect Van Gough to create a beautiful painting with $2 brushes and 2 colors of $5 paint.

Tripped – Not really catching my attention for whatever reason.

Amber Wave of Brain – And I thought Tripped was boring. This is flat out putting my brain to sleep. I don't even know what the heck you are saying nor do I care because the music is so totally mind numbing. The words are just passing right over the top of my conscious mind.

Ampers And The Delicate Flowers – Radiohead fan? Just a guess. Lot's of background noise though. Wow I'm seriously liking this. Which is surprising since I'm usually so hung up on production quality. The lyrics to this song completely make me forget about the loud background noise by a minute into the song. Awesome. Just awesome. Keep up the good work and try filtering out some of those high end ranges. Maybe buy a better microphone? You would be surprised how much better a good $100 stage mic is from a $20 Radio Shack PC Mic.

Mc Shortbus – This is really really good. Not typically a rap fan, but I do enjoy intelligently written music of every genre. I can hear lot's of effort in the way that you've worded quite a bit of this. If you had been recording in my studio though I would have musically changed up the beat by adding and removing instruments constantly throughout the entire song to add spice and flavor. If that had been done I probably would have actually found a grove to head-bob to.

Befores – I'm watching fairies bounce from rock to rock in my head. I'm loving every single bit of this song. It's not often we have a female vocalist in SongFight. So when I hear one I pounce on it. You are scoring points all over this mix and coming late in my playlist after all these crappy tracks almost completely ensures that your song is stuck in my head for a week. Wow. Just wow. I'm committing these lyrics to memory. Loving the ambient noises in the background. There's a lot of clipping at the end. Might want to fix that but thats the only production suggestion I could possibly give for this song.

Nipple Creak Fairies – Awesome fiddling but the vocals are killing it now. Lyrics are killing it now. Ouch. Irritating. Points for trying to be original.

Narbotic – Irritating. Arg. Nothing personal. Probably just the “Befores” killing it for the rest of this playlist.
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Future Boy »

Well, FWIW, it was supposed to sound like I was singing along to a casio. I'm not sure Hostess Mostess feel the same way about theirs, however. I'm a little baffled that you lumped us together. Their song was way better'n mine.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

Future Boy wrote:Well, FWIW, it was supposed to sound like I was singing along to a casio. I'm not sure Hostess Mostess feel the same way about theirs, however. I'm a little baffled that you lumped us together. Their song was way better'n mine.
We were not trying to sound like we were singing with* a Casio.

And do not self-depricate on our account. Your inventive phrasing and relentless rhymes invoke images of a young Tom Lehrer experimenting with silliness before the angst of academic futility molded him into a genius. This is a song with more chutzpah than a thousand of ours.

I do think, though, we have found evidence of order effects in the reviews. We all owe an extra tip of the hat to whomever programmed the random song order routine.

(Oh, and I'm responsible for the music this time. Hostess was pretty hands-off on this one, though she did host a baby party upstairs so I could record the vocals sometime other than naptime---the elder baby does not sleep when Daddy is recording.)

*I assume you all mean "with." We were singing <I>with</I> a softsynth, a set of drum samples, and three electric guitar tracks. We were singing <I>to</I> followers of an ambiguously-fictional religious leader.
Last edited by Mostess on Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:[Johnny Cashpoint – I swear to god that this is far from your best. Forgive me for liking your other songs a lot more.
No. hahahaha.

Actually I think I should post the before-deconstruction version to better exemplify (sp?) what I was doing. Now if only there was a handy thread in which I could post remixed versions of my songfight entries ... hahahaha (again)

j$