Reviewing? I should probably get on that.

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Reviewing? I should probably get on that.

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Or at least probably.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Boltoph - From the opening strains, I figured I'd really like this song, then the vocal melodies come in, and I'm proved the correct. Pretty much everything about this song is absolutely great, the chorus, the dynamics, the lyrics, the production, the performance. Geez. Wow.
Emergency Pizza Party- This is what I would call nerdcore done correctly. The 8 bit backing beat is infectious as hell. I have little idea what this song is about, but the chorus is exquisite. Seriously, what are you talking about? Personally, I think that the mix on this is done really well, the bass is right where it needs to be. Personally, I think it's a little too long for its own good, but whatever. I dig it.
Johnny Cashpoint- I kind of like the lo-fi feel of this, with the heavily crushed drums and all. The vocals seem a little bit buried in the mix, but overall pretty nifty. Probably my favorite line in this is 'don't let christmas ruin your christmas'.
Lockheed Symphony- This was my attempt at being housey. Personally, i don't like the way the vocals came out, but whatever.
Lord of Oats- I really like that guitar solo. The structure of this song is pretty cool, methinks. Nice vowels. I don't really like the way that that cymbal was recorded. Overall, this was a pretty solid track.

(more to come)
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

I guess someone is trying to get us to hide the files until posting...
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Is the lack of cover art what's holding this round up? You're obviously going to need more with more titles. My 2-D art is a few notches worse than my music, so it'll be terrible and everything, but I can step in when there's an art vacuum, I suppose. Now that I think about it, there have been plenty of times that the art is worse than the songs by a large margin. I may be your man. I could probably do alright if I incorporated photography instead of trying to conjure images from blank screen, paper, or canvas. Although I'm sure you'll end up with some very poorly done mixed media. Anyway, I'm available, but this is a fair warning before I go about formally requesting an account.

Lord of Oats: Artist of Last Resort

How does that sound?

I actually have no ideas for art for "I Want to Get On It," so perhaps someone who already has a submission account needs to step up for the immediate concern.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I could go for it. It'll just be MS Paint though.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

When was the last time we had "cover art" that was more than just some photograph with the song title pasted in? We might as well stop doing it altogether.

At any rate, if lack of cover art is the reason for the songs not being posted thirty seconds after the due date (I'm sure it isn't) I will totally cry myself to sleep tonight. And tomorrow, too.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I scrawled a bit with sharpie and coloured it with the compy. I hope you enjoy it. At least I've contributed to both fights now.
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

bz£ wrote:When was the last time we had "cover art" that was more than just some photograph with the song title pasted in? We might as well stop doing it altogether.

At any rate, if lack of cover art is the reason for the songs not being posted thirty seconds after the due date (I'm sure it isn't) I will totally cry myself to sleep tonight. And tomorrow, too.
I don't know why that hypothesis is so unbelievable. They don't post the fight without art. I'm not trying to be a pest about prompt posting. I was just inviting some discussion about the need for art, and offering my services, if they're deemed necessary. If you don't think we need art, that's fine, your opinion is welcome, and you make a valid point, but I think the question of whether we're going to have cover art is moot. I think most of us would vote to keep it, but more importantly, I'm pretty sure the fightmasters want to have it, which is what ultimately matters.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

There's been stand-in art in the past when the fight was ready before the cover art, and there will likely be stand-in art again in the future.

And, at the risk of provoking flames, I'll say that the same holds true of good art. Oh well, right?

I look forward to hearing this fight (as well as "Credible Threat"), but as far as I'm concerned, the Fightmasters can take as long as they'd like to post it. Enjoy your Holidays, guys.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Yeah, if these fights were posted right away, I wouldn't think to myself "Hooray for the prompt-posting fightmasters," I would think "How strange that they spent Christmas Eve or Christmas Day or Boxing Day or whatever catering to the desires of strangers when they could've spent that time with a wife, or a daughter, or a new girlfriend, or a sister, or whoever else they want to spend it with, away from the computer."
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Reïst wrote:I scrawled a bit with sharpie and coloured it with the compy. I hope you enjoy it.
I love it. Like a canvas painted monotone, it challenges convention by framing minimalism and complexity in new contexts. Your stick figures display such strong levels of emotion-- I can immediately tell what each character is feeling about his or her situation. It calls to mind my own experiences: the happiness of my first guitar, the love and shock I felt when I saw a person afraid to get on a roller-coaster, and most of all, my consternation when I discovered that I was about to be stung in the back of my head by killer bees.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:Boltoph - From the opening strains, I figured I'd really like this song, then the vocal melodies come in, and I'm proved the correct. Pretty much everything about this song is absolutely great, the chorus, the dynamics, the lyrics, the production, the performance. Geez. Wow.
Emergency Pizza Party- This is what I would call nerdcore done correctly. The 8 bit backing beat is infectious as hell. I have little idea what this song is about, but the chorus is exquisite. Seriously, what are you talking about? Personally, I think that the mix on this is done really well, the bass is right where it needs to be. Personally, I think it's a little too long for its own good, but whatever. I dig it.
Johnny Cashpoint- I kind of like the lo-fi feel of this, with the heavily crushed drums and all. The vocals seem a little bit buried in the mix, but overall pretty nifty. Probably my favorite line in this is 'don't let christmas ruin your christmas'.
Lockheed Symphony- This was my attempt at being housey. Personally, i don't like the way the vocals came out, but whatever.
Lord of Oats- I really like that guitar solo. The structure of this song is pretty cool, methinks. Nice vowels. I don't really like the way that that cymbal was recorded. Overall, this was a pretty solid track.

(more to come)
How'd you do that?

Oh, and Johnny Cashpoint, damn fine job. I love the counterpoint choir under the chorus.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

Well, I figure if I'm not going to be any good at submitting songs, I might as well make myself useful by reviewing/offending people :D

Boltoph- B
Writing: C+ Everything is well placed, and the parts are quite distinguishable, but the vocal melody holds it back a bit. The one thing holding this back to a C+ is that there's not much for memorable hook.
Performance: A The vocals are on key, the guitar is well played, and the bass is tight with the drums. Great job. I love the little guitar flourishes.
Production: B- This sounds pretty good. The vocals could have been a bit louder in some spots, and the overall tone was a bit dead. Just a bit. All in all, a very decent recording.

Emergency Pizza Party- C
Writing: C Nice rhymes, ok sounds, and it works well bringing the chick in. My only gripe is that the music really needs to do more than loop.
Performance: C Smooth vocal delivery, I liked it. 2:30- listen to M&M much? If you were going for a lowfi crunk feel with the music, you got it. I just happen to not like that.
Production: B- Good job on the vocals, they sounded big, but could have been clearer in a couple places. Some more high end crispness and more discreet doubling might have helped this.

Johnny Cashpoint- C
Writing: B- Good job on the melody; simple and memorable. Like wise for the BG vox. I think the ba ba ba thing is way underrated. I like the writing of most of this, except I think the chorus could be more accessible.
Performance: C Sorry, but I don't have much to say about the performance. The only thing that struck me was the vocal style. I know it's only preference and personal opinion, but I don't like it.
Production: C+ The drums sounded pretty dead, but the music and vocals were right about where I felt they should be.

Lockheed Symphony- C
Writing: C I like the jazz bits, and the guitar as well. I think they could have played a bigger role. As it is, their cameo appearance left the song feeling a bit disjointed.
Performance: C- I'm grading a bit heavy here, because the only thing that really can be flawed in this kind of music is the vox. They were out of tune a few times, and it hurt the listenability.
Production: B+ The bass has a great feel. I found myself turning this up just to get more.
The vox were cool, with that spaced out feel and- is that a touch of vocoder?

Lord of Oats- C-
Writing: B I bet this one will grow on me, just because of the simple melody and oooh oh oh parts. With a better performance, the writing would have really shone.
Performance: C- Props for using real drums, but it feels like they are fighting to stay in time. Vox were out just enough that I was having a hard time by the 3rd listen. Decent guitar solo, though, and well placed in the song.
Production: D Usually I complain about the vox being too quiet, but these are a bit much. There were times when they almost drowned out the drums, which would have been okay.

Melvin- B+
Writing: A- I like it. Catchy, straightforward.
Performance: B+ In tune, on time, and not much to comment on.
Production: B Everything sounds pretty damn good. My only gripe is that there are a lot of low mids. At about 0:44, it sounds like the guitar and vox are fighting for the same piece of the eq.

Northside Hindus- C-
Writing: D Ha! a uke song! Other than that, the repetition is annoying.
Performance: C I think you pulled off what you were going for...
Production: C Everything is clear and audible, but the drums are a bit much.

Paco Del Stinko- C+
Writing: C+ Not bad. The melody is fairly catchy, and the bridge is well done.
Performance: C Everything is played well, especially the little slide bit. Well pulled off and very appropriate. The only thing that held it back was the vox. All the sliding between notes leaves a whole bunch of out of tune moments before the new note is reached.
Production: B Very decent recording. The only gripe is that the vocals are a bit muddy.

Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers- C
Writing: C- As the name suggests, this is very plain. The recurring guitar riff made me wish the song would rock out, but it never did.
Performance: C What was played was played well, but it felt lacking in energy. It sounded like the guitar was trying hard to rock out, and nothing else was following.
Production: C Good job on the vox, but the drums were pretty dead.

Steve Durand- B-
Writing: B Nice horn hook. The percussion is well placed, and the melody uses the chord progressions well.
Performance: B- Tight horns, and grand strumming are brought down only by an iffy vocal performance.
Production: C The trumpet sounds fantastic. The vox and guitar, however, sound muddy and flat.

Surf Train Surf Industry- C+
Writing: C+ I like the blend of techno and surf. The repetition is a bit much, though, even for techno, as there is almost no variation in the drums or synths. Listen to any of the successful electronic artists, and check out how often they have various sounds entering and leaving the mix.
Performance: C+ I like where the synth solo is going, but the clippy parts at 2:06 kind of take away from the effect.
Production: C+ I'm putting the vox under the production category for this one. I can dig the
Benassi style, but you need to get a good recording to feed into your carrier to keep bits from fading out.

Test Week Hiatus- C+
Writing: C+ Good chorus hook, and choice of drum track. This is ones of those songs that I feel could be really good if it was re-recorded, or covered.
Performance: B- Good vocal delivery. You really got across what you were going for.
Production: D- Needs some mixing. the guitars are flat and way too far in the background. The drums might be just right, given the sound of the loop.

Wreckdom- C
Writing: C Not much for a chorus, and that verse gets a bit repetitive. I think with some real vocal harmony and some change ups, this would be a gem if it were redone.
Performance: C+ I think the production ruined some of the sound, but buried in there is a Neil Youngish classic. The keys were a little out of place, and took away from the experience.
Production: D It sounds noisy. The vox and guitars drown the drums right out. Is that warbly effect on the vox, or something else? Whatever it is, it makes everything sound messy and out of tune.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Hey that's not a style, that's my singing voice!

Thanks, Jon Eric. The counterpoint was my 'moment' when I knew the song was going to come together, for better or for worse. Review things being written right now, so keep watchin' the inter-skies, or some such.

j$
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

signboy wrote: Performance: B- Tight horns, and grand strumming are brought down only by an iffy vocal performance.
Yes my singing sucks. And for some reason it was even worse on this one than usual.

Thanks for the review!

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

W.A.I.L. I.A.A.C.

Boltoph – Nice oohs. What, no crazy meaty boy breakdown? Life and love is treating you well, obviously :) Yeah, this is very nice. A good start … oh there’s the meaty boy breakdown. Can’t help yourself? :) Well, you know what you’re gonna get from a Boltoph song – that ‘sunny soundgarden’ sound. It’s very well done and though not really my personal taste, I can’t help but say it’s a great song, a good place … oh that jazzy breakdown/ coda caught me by surprise – I thought it was the next song in the stream or a moment – a bit too abrupt? – still, a good song and a good start to the fight. Oh yeah, odd lyric too. Creepy in a pretty way. Good work.

EPP – I have no idea what you’re talking about – so I can’t comment on the lyric in any particularly useful way – the rapping is tight and flowin’ or whatever it is the kids today say, but the backing track, though very nicely produced, and also sporting a great key tone, is just too thin to support a listener who isn’t engaging in the words, for reasons listed above. All the voices sound good, needs more variety in the drum track, and maybe some nice squeeeee bass going on against the main track on occasions. I understand you have taken some flack for bringing your pals to the votin' party, but this good enough to do well on its own merits.

J$ - Ummm, yeah. Abi Titmuss. Rhydian. That’s not going to mean much to anyone outside of this cursed isle, is it? That’s why I’m not going to win. Yeaaaaahhhhh :)

Lockheed Symphony – That kick drum, though I know it’s integral to the song, is letting down the song badly. I like your voice, it’s got a nice sexy edge to it. The trancy mood, though not really what I would dance to in a club, and not really in keeping with the mood generated by the music, is very pleasant. Some nice variation in the music keeps the song moving along as well. I like the guitar a lot. Reminds me a little of early new order. BUT those drums are too square and frankly not damn sexy enough. Please take a little longer on the drums next time if for some crazy reason you should want to please me. Doesn’t know how to end either.

Lord Of Oats – WHAT I LIKE - nice chord sequence. A little familiar-sounding but good. Good extended solo, creates a nice ‘out in the middle of nowhere’ vibe - the tone of the vocal is pleasantly fragile (I mean that as a compliment.) WHAT I DON’T LIKE - The Oohs are a little out of tune, and it’s distracting given that it’s meant as a hook. The bass is a little rumbly for the song, one feels.The drums are a little basic, not terrible by any means, but just the song could be improved by a gentle touch there, perhaps. OVERALL: Pleasant

Melvin – Instant disqualification for wrong title usage! I don’t normally review Melvin songs - that's not me being pissy (or at least not pissier than usual), but because I get no pleasure out of annoying people who don’t really deserve it. So you might want to look away now, M - this is an easy listen, but I don’t like the rappin’ very much, it’s well done but a bit ‘Jazzy Jeff’ for my tastes. Not being at all au fait with rapping, I associate this sound with some affluent California scene I watch on the OC or whatever, and turn away feeling alienated. Which I guess is a sign of its quality (in that I immediately associate it with films and TV soundtracks.)

Northside Hindus - this is almost great but turns out to be shit. That’s the way life goes, eh? I like the tone on the drums, the crapy uke, and the voice. I don’t like the waste of two minutes of my time. I would certainly listen to another song by you but only if I had the guarantee it would have more than six different words in it.

Paco Del Stinko - Cool tune. Especially love the synth that takes us into that cool tempo change. And the deep voice you bring in at that point. Nice and perky! A toe-tapper for sure, I love the lyrical bent you took for this, but it could have developed a little more. I.e. not just a list song of things you want to get on – that said, I too want to get on a rocket ship! I am probably missing the point. Anyway, there are elements of early Talking Heads in here - this is a good thing – yeah, run out of things to say, but it’s a great, energetic listen.

Plain Songs – I can’t decide if this a parody of the Incredible String Band or not. A good voice, though it’s so pronounced it reminds me of some folky Spinal Tap. I like the oboe-like synth plinking away in one corner - hobby horses, though? This has to be a piss-take, right? If it is, it’s very well done. If not, keep on doing what you’re doing, it makes a very pleasant diversion from the usual fare.

Steve Durand – Mariachi is good (if that indeed is what it is – what do I know?). The chorus is very strong, got a really nice hook. The lyric is witty, though it reveals some very middle-class pre-ocupations :) I would say it might be worth dropping the key of this a couple of semi-tones as it sounds like you’re right at the top of your range? Other than that another solid SD entry, clever and enjoyable. Obviously you are still walking the thin line between inspiration and ‘clever music parody of the week’ but don’t worry I’ll be there to screech at you if I ever think you slipped over!

STSI – Nice riff, as you already know as YOU USE IT SO BLOODY OFTEN! Umm, TTS engines - yeah, haven’t we all? Still it’s quite funny, in a Flight Of The Conchords way, especially with the ‘That’s what I thought’. Perhaps I am just thinking of ‘The Humans Are Dead’ but anyway, my major beef here is it's all a bit too square and unfunky. NB saying ‘go!’ in an unfunky song is not being clever and ironic, IMO, it just highlights how unfunky it all is. Nice solo, but then that ‘spooky surf a la cramps’ riff comes back in and squashes it all flat. Leaves me feelining kind of ‘hmpppfhh’.

Test Week Hiatus – Starts nice and Cash-esue. Nice effect on the guitar at .20ish. My tip - change up the drums in the chorus! It totally sucks the impact out of what could have been much bigger and stronger! Also turn them up. As it is I am getting a little restless by 1.30ish. By 02:08 I am thinking I am wondering whether to have a drink. The voice is fine, the lyric is good (if another list song – what is it about this title?) The tune is reasonable, but it’s soooooo long for so little variation, IMO. Sorry – if this was somesongs, I would give it an OK, but it’s not, so I move on to …

Wreckdom – Ah, Wreckdom. I always think that you’re two bands, the singer/guitarist who wants to rock out, and the keyboard player / arranger who wants to be in an experimental electronica band from the early 80s. When this 'phrenic collision works, Wreckdom are amazing. Unfortunately, more often that not for me, it doesn’t work and it comes out as a mish-mash, which is what happens here. The drums are WAY too quiet to be a full out stomper, and the vocal phrasing isn’t right for the awesome awseome oscillating portamento moog-style keyboards. Well done, and -constructed (though the chord sequence I have definitely heard somewhere else.) I love the keyboard stuff very much and the spacey residents-style mix, but I can’t find anything to hook my attention onto in the rest of the song. Hey, boys, plus ca change when it comes to my reviewing, eh?

I liked Botolph and Paco Del Stinko particularly, but there wasn’t any true drivel anywhere in this fight (excep' myself). Damn you guys - I had sharpened my quill especially!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Signboy - I will definitely investigate your comments on my vocals. Thanks!

J$ - The song song is absolutely as shallow as it appears. I tell myself that I'm still warming up, but how hot can I get, ya know? :)

I listened to the fight this afternoon and have to say that there is something good to be found in every entry, with a few stronger songs peppered in there. First listen vote would go to Boltoph, despite a drum fill that sounds like I played it. I'll do reviews in a couple of days, but thanks for listenening, guys.

Welcome back, WreckdoM!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Okay, I listened to all the songs and these are the ones I thought were worth reviewing:

Boltoph - What an unusual song, lyric-wise. Fun and unexpected. I always like Boltoph, what with the excellent guitar-playing and competent singing. This isn't a song I'm likely to keep, but it's some damn fine production and an encouraging start to this fight.

Johnny Cashpoint - Some clever lyrics and a nice arrangement, but not really striking a chord with me. I like the sound of the chorus a lot. Title seems forced to me.

Melvin - Usually I like Melvin, but this song has no appeal for me. Worth acknowledging for its structure, performance, production, etc.--I can see why someone would like this, but not for me.

Plain Songs for Doves and Tigers - This is one of the more interesting songs in the fight. I love the uneven rhythm of the chord changes. And the shift to 3/4 in the chorus is very nice. Cool sparse arrangement. So far, the only song I've listened to twice.

Steve Durand - Nice horn arrangement, especially in the third verse. Lyrics make me cringe, sadly. And well, the vocal performance.

Test Week Hiatus - I kind of dismissed this song early, but on second thought, I don't think it's too bad and could see it actually being good with a better arrangement.

I think I'll vote for Plain Songs for Doves and Tigers.
PlainSongs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers, Nu igen!

Post by PlainSongs »

Boltoph Very nice! This grooves along, with a lot of detail and a very sweet guitar; good combination of quiet and rocking parts. Somehow I'm catching only snippets of the lyrics, but that's fine. The jazzy coda is cool, too!

Emergency Pizza Party From the opening line I wasn't excited about the subject matter or the bleepy computer sounds... however I do really like the vocal delivery, it's varied and has a professional sheen. So, in the end I'm wondering if relating a shallow computer game story very well to a background of okayish bleeping is interesting... Answer: yes if it's three minutes.

Johnny Cashpoint Quite good! The chorus gets just a little muddy. I got a grin from the excellent line "Don't let Christmas ruin your Christmas" and the critical message is well taken, still I'd have appreciated a bit more of a cheery wink. You know, as opposed to fake Christmas cheer. (Oh, and did I miss the 'I want to get on it' or was there none?)

Lockheed Symphony Nothing bad about it, but not quite doing it for me either, maybe because it's kind of low-key while the rather insistent percussion prevents my mind from going into a mellow drift state. I'd soften that beat in parts.

Lord of Oats Desert rhymes with 'numbness hurts'? :) Sort of! I like the structure of this song. It makes me a little unhappy though, as it doesn't have the soothing or enraging or joking little extra which can spice up a sad song.

Melvin "Get it on" or "get on it"? Whatever - I like this one. The rapping meshes well, it's mixed well, the vocals are crisp, and we have an especially nice hook in the background.

Northside Hindus This is pretty cool. I wasn't expecting the freak-out near the end and it made me laugh. Well done, and I would change nothing about it, but I'd like to hear something very different, even if equally experimental, as the next track on its hypothetical album. It's the kind of song that says more on a bold album than by itself.

Paco Del Stinko Funny :) It's good to make non-allegorical songs about trampolines and such! And while your voice is not 'obvious', it's got character and really works. Good playing too meanwhile. And you've got a rocket ship, which is always a bonus. LOTS of good things in this one then, and nothing bad.

Steve Durand The Mexican start (and more) is neat. Espera para mi? Esperame? Funny story even if it sort of leaves us hanging at the airport.

Surf Train Surf Industry Combining surf music and industrial/new wavegets you a long way in my book. As this is well done too, I dig it. I was expecting something to happen with the big wave at the end though.

Test Week Hiatus Pretty cool, it seems to me you just need to infuse it with a little more joy somehow, it would fit the lyrics and the main musical idea. I don't know, some yeehaaing or banjo or something?

WreckdoM I like how this starts out, there's a lot going on yet it still sounds clear. I wished something new happened two-thirds of the way though. You actually have little subtle things happening but they're a bit subtle. Thought you were chuckling while singing at the end but is it some vibrato effect?

Thanks for the reviews of my song. Specifically,
@ signboy: Yes, rocking :/ It's on top of my to-do list.
@ johnny: As I had never heard the Incredible String Band before, this wasn't a parody. But between Silly and Sincere lies a place I like, so yeah :) I love Spinal Tap.
@ Frankie: Glad you liked it! Glad you liked the things I experimented with.
by Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

PlainSongs wrote: (Oh, and did I miss the 'I want to get on it' or was there none?)
You did. It's mentioned in both choruses

'Is there flight to foreign climes where Santa’s visa’s been declined
On grounds of taste? Then on I’ll climb - I want to get on it this Christmas time
If there’s not another way - yes, let’s mug Santa, nick his sleigh
Want to get on it and fly away, not come back to New Year’s Day'

Although as Signboy mentioned, the combination in the chorus of counterpoint melody, distorto-guitar background and not the tightest multi-tracking of the vocal in the world, do mean it might be easily missed on a first listen. And perhaps this is partly why Frankie felt I was 'forcing the title', though I would disagree. With a wet fish to the face. But only gently.

You can read the whole lyric in the lyric thread (natch) - third one down: http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4790

I also should admit that I nicked 'don't let christmas ruin your christmas' from an nme interview with Malcolm Middleton talking about his own christmas record 'We're all going to die' (I kid you not)

Thx for review!

j$

ps I love Christmas really.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

pizza.. thanks for reminding me of this bizarre game. i remember renting it from a grocery store!
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

EPP
Fav: ping pong lead instrument tone, shifting to that minor or dominant chord, the darkness. Two boys one girl and a blob. The blob is the sound, riding the sound, riding the groove.
Pretty cool. She could have said "I want to get on it, the rocket" or something more to drive the sex vibe home.

j$
Fav: Chorus, lyrics leading up to the chorus, "when we're thin and sober...". Driving bass line. Big vocals in the chorus. Talk of souls and corruption.
Nice chord changes, solid bass and good lyrical musings.

Lockheed Symphony
Fav: Drone vocal in chorus, almost too many times on the get on it part, but i really like the feel of it initially. Slinky, ethereal feel.

Alright you know what? Melvin's got the tune!!!!! I could see and understand the comments about "Californicated duude, sweet", and such, but fuck that, it's fantastic. Just get in my benz...ha!!!! Cracks me up.

Steve Durand has a nice chorus contrast, and I actually really like Surf Train Surf Industry, too. It completely cracks me up when the voice says it's a big wave. And I like the melodies and tones in Lockheed symphony. Reminds me of the end of "Mother" by the Policemen, mixed with that song from the movie K.I.D.S. It's actually not annoying.Should have built that shit up to 6 or 7 part harmony. 3rds, 5ths, 7ths, 9ths, and two roots, high and low. Maybe even a 6th on a dominant chord. Go for that shit. Just do it, don't even think about it.

I don't know if I should vote for WreckinG BallZ or Melvin though. Fantastic, really, on both fronts. My song can suck it!!!!!