Skelton, Foxx, Buttons and Skates (Red Skates reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Skelton, Foxx, Buttons and Skates (Red Skates reviews)

Post by king_arthur »

Okay, all you supergroups, lets hear whatcha got!

Charles (Art is my middle name, Artless is just my reputation!)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

i sent mine in a little late (nothing was done to it after the due time)... well shit i haven't done nothin' to it sense like friday of last week haha... but yea i don't know if it'll be up or not...

if not i'll just post a link to it later... lookin' forward to hearin' everybodies stuff \m/
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

king arthur's showing his age a bit with the title here. i'd bet most of the folks here have no idea who red skelton or red buttons are. in fact, i can barely remember watching them as a little kid because my dad and grandmother liked them. didn't red skelton used to have some popular variety show on tv back in the early sixties? hopefully, people know who redd foxx is.

as for red skates, we will all hopefully be familiar with red skates soon.
Hi!
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

yeah, well, I guess my song for the week will show my age a bit too, as it's about an event that half the people around here won't remember (clue: "Nancy got some therapy, Tonya got some therapy too...").

I worked hard to get this old. Every now 'n' then I like to pretend it's actually something to be proud of :-)

Charles (Art is my middle name!)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

i'm sure everyones old enough to remember that...

Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Where be da sawngs?? I'm putting off all my errands for the day (purchasing my brand new exciting anti-depressants, going for a walk, returning an ugly vase, buying moss removal stuff for the patio, etc., etc.) until the sawngs show up, so I can listen to da sawngs while running my errands!!
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Jim, you need a livejournal.
moboid
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by moboid »

Jim, I hear your pain. This weeks fights and last weeks fights have been the same titles for at least a day now! I hope you ran your errands anyways....
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Fast as possible reviews. Better reviews soon, maybe.

15-16: Awesome. Just awesome. One of my favorite 15-16 tracks. 8
Creep: Short and OK. Wish the vocals had more power. Wish the whole song wasn't just two arpegated chords. 4
King Arthur: I'm enjoying the faux Caribbean feel. Not enjoying the programmed tom rolls: makes it sound like keyboard presets. The subject matter is before my time, but I'm sure I'd find this more humorous if I was older. 7
Leaf: Funky. I don't know much about music, but many of your songs have a certain feel to them; are they written in a particular scale? I suppose I'm displaying my ignorance here. Great subject matter, great solo, and drumming is top notch. 8
Likely Lads: Emotastic. Vocals are a little rough in places. This song feels longer than it actually is, which is not a good sign. 6
Loose Laces: What collab is this? Lyrics are a little ass-centric. Interesting instrumentation, but... "Bump uglies". Ugh. 5
Mediteraniem: Faux surf meets Drum'n'Bass. I wish this had some Beach Boy's harmonies and tremolo-electric. Surprisingly catchy. 6
Pipe Fist: Nice voice. Distracting timing issues. "He had a gun in his mouth and death in his eyes"... nice. 6
Poor June: Move your keyboard into the same room as your mic. The vocal melody wanders a little too much for my tastes. Distracting echoes at the end. 4
Sugarpot Gamelan: Nasty mix and timing. I can barely hear you. There's a really neat sounding synth sound in here, but there's just way too many sounds fighting each other above 2khz. 5
Wreckdom: Why the fake guitar? Nice organ (when's the last time a guy's told you that?). One of your catchier endeavors. 2

Erik or Leaf.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Puce wrote: Poor June: Move your keyboard into the same room as your mic. The vocal melody wanders a little too much for my tastes. Distracting echoes at the end. 4
yea... well the keyboard was right in front of the computer... but the mic is built in... so it's kinda hard to do much with that... and when i turn it up... it clips... so it's either muddy and quiet... or still quiet and clipping... kind of sucky... (hopefully i can get some equipment one of these days... tryin' to save up at the moment)

Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Poor June wrote:
Puce wrote: Poor June: Move your keyboard into the same room as your mic.
yea... well
That was code for "Your keyboard needs more treble". I recommend boosting 1.5kz-5kz and add some 10 khz. Or better yet, just take a 1/4" - 1/8" adapter and plug the keyboard into you sound card, assuming your soundcard has a line-in (!?).
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Puce wrote:
Poor June wrote:
Puce wrote: Poor June: Move your keyboard into the same room as your mic.
yea... well
That was code for "Your keyboard needs more treble". I recommend boosting 1.5kz-5kz and add some 10 khz. Or better yet, just take a 1/4" - 1/8" adapter and plug the keyboard into you sound card, assuming your soundcard has a line-in (!?).
highly doubt it... same soundcard that came with the computer i could check... (i may add treble to my next track... i figured out how to do it... just not sure if it'll sound good or not...)...

jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

hey leaf, didn't you post somewhere that you just bought a half stack and a new jackson guitar? i'm listening to your tune picturing you rocking out on this. good jorb man. very leafy :wink:
Hi!
PipeFist
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by PipeFist »

Pipe Fist: Nice voice. Distracting timing issues. "He had a gun in his mouth and death in his eyes"... nice.
Yeah, I wish I'd had more time to fix that. But it was due in like an hour and I was already extremely tired and didn't want to re-record. I'll probably record it again, though, because I like playing that song. Thanks for the comments, though![/quote]
creep
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Red Skates

Post by creep »

Here we go.....finally.
1. Mediteraniem-- Gotta love that drumbeat, I like this song overall, but it sounds a little scattered, I think it tries to cover too many areas. Still nice though.
2. 15-16 Puzzle-- This one rocks man...the only beef I have is the timing seems to be off slightly in places with the guitar and vocals. This is a possible vote. Good job.
3. CREEP-- This ones mine, it is very simple and cheesy. I kind of went for that sound though...a lame roller-rink sound. Anyways, I'm sure it will get torn up on here, but it was fun to do.
4. King Arthur-- This ones a keeper...funny as hell. I can tell some thought went into this one, it's catchy too. This one's a finalist so far.
5. Leaf-- Funky ass hockey song....nice. Can't help but bob my freakin head on this one, another potential vote.
6. Likelylads-- This ones pretty tight too, so far this is a good fight. There is nothing particularly wrong with this one, I'm just not feeling it like some of the others.
7. Looselaces-- I liked this one, the break in it kind of killed the flow for me though, but i have to give it points for the catchy chorus and 80's video game sound. Good work.
8. Pipefist-- This one has an outlaw sound to it which is kind of cool, but the lyrics are pretty disgusting to me. It's not bad, but I can't vote for a song that makes me want vomit.
9. Poor June-- Dude, you owe it to yourself to upgrade your equipment. I think you are a good writer and you have a pretty good voice...time to get a better mic. Get yourself an SM58 with a decent mic preamp. You deserve better than singing into a keyboard. Treat yourself this Christmas!!! good job anyway.
10.Sugarpot-- This is not bad....I wish the vocals were louder, sounds like you've got a sexy voice...let's hear it. It's good but there are better this week.
11. Wreckdom-- I actually kind of like this one....funny shit. But the vocals are too distorted to really enjoy it the way it could be enjoyed. You were probably going for that sound, but it's not working for me this week. Props for the lyrics though.

This was a pretty good fight....upon further review, I'm gonna have to go with KING ARTHUR. You clearly spent some time on this one and it's sticking in my head more than the others. Good job all!
America....what's the word?
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Richard WreckdoM »

Some reviews for that Ass.

Mediteraniem: Nice Beach Boys-esque formula. I don’t really like it though. The music seems pretty tight, the vocals are just lacking something.

Poor June: Recording with crappy quality was last week’s optional challenge. This didn’t do anything for me. Sorry. It’s an opinion thing and I know that isn’t fair when reviewing, so I’ll make a productive point. Use better microphones.

Creep: When your song started up I thought my HD was failing. Cool sound. Quality recording and production. It sort of drones, but ends appropriately quickly. Not my thing, but well done.

WreckdoM: Ours go to 11. This rocks pretty hard. I loved thinking about the potential lady walking by the house with a baby as Geoff WreckdoM screamed these lyrics.

Sugarpot Gamelan: These vocals should be louder, but by the sound of it, if they were adjusted properly, it would show a lot of hiss on the line. My female roommate says that the words limp dick come to mind as she hears this.

King Arthur: That conga line dispersed fast. This has a real mid life crisis guy feel to it. I’m thinking 38, thinks Billy Joel is the best there ever was.

15-16 Puzzle: Nice play on the title. Pretty well done.

Leaf 62: Pretty well mixed and arranged. New and Improved with Guitar solo action. This is not bad. It doesn’t make me want to listen to it again though.

The Likely Lads: Not my thing. I will say though that mix is smooth. Everything fits together very nicely. I would imagine you have a bit of a well deserved following.

Pipe Fist: This is terrible. The different portions are sloppily pasted together, and it sounds really bad. The guitar playing is flawed in ways that don’t lend themselves to this Nick Cave style thing. This had some decent elements, but really, the transitions need work.

Loose Laces flatten Faces: Showing a lot of promise off the bat. I like weird noises. These lyrics are catchy and pretty well thought out. If I don’t self Indulgently vote for myself or flood someone else, I’ll vote for you.

Lots of fun as usual. Thank you all and Goodnight. God Bless Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein and Kim Jong Il and Tony Danza. Happy Kwanzaa to the KKK.
A_Likely_Mike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by A_Likely_Mike »

15-16 Puzzle
------------

Not sure on the dischordant sections, it seems like you've got a good tune here and you've got that south californian punk/ska thing going on. Shame is it seems a bit one dimensional without any drums/harmonies or different dynamics in the songs.
hahahah the da da solo is ace though. I'm sure I'd love this if it were a full band arrangement.

Creep
-----

Hello Beck sample, or at least it sounds like it anyways. I like the harmony vocals, but the melody is a little samey all the way through the song.

King Arthur
-----------

Mmm.. love the intro, really warm and those caribbean drums are top notch. Well executed, subtle and catchy backing vocals and melody.

Leaf
----

Phasers set to RaWK! Oh no, set them to FUNK. nice, like the stops and stuff. That guitar is pure metal-cheese, brilliant! Great drumming too.

The Likely Lads
---------------

This was mine and gduncan's contribution. I played drums, clean guitar and bass, wrote the basic song and sang main vocal, so divert complaints to me! haha Gareth did second vocal, distorted guitar and the mixing.

Loose Laces
-----------

I actually really like this, aside from the dodgy lyrics and occasional vocal bum note (excuse the pun). I think this is what would happen if Kim Deal got stuck in a Korg showroom for 4 weeks.

Mediteraniem
------------

hahah damn it's annoying to have to spell that one wrong. I agree with whoever mentioned the Beach Boys vibe, it's nice. But everything seems so disturbingly separated in the mix. like all the instruments are running away from each other or something. I like this song though. A little on the long side. Argh keyboard demo ending!

Pipefist
-------

The change from picking to strumming was nice but very clunky, as is some of the playing during the riffy section of the guitar. nice background noises and such. Interesting place you went with the lyrics.

Poor June
----------

Nice piano playing on this one, a little quiet on the augmentative part though. I really like the melody in the outro but I think the echo was a bit much.

Sugarpot Gamelan
-----------------

Pretty, the vocals could come forward a bit in the mix, the huge amount of instrumentation behind often drowns them. This sounds like Yo La Tengo which I love. The acoustics could be recorded better to get rid of the excess plectrum strum noise but that's just a petty gripe. I really like the vibe overall, jam those vocals up and it's a winner.

Wreckdom
---------

Jesus God. We have been smote by the rock. This made me laugh hard. I'm actually very scared of you. When you shout "skates!" it's kinda too loud and distracting. Boogie-oogie-woogie-oogie? Style! Short shorts are indeed a way of life.

Vote goes to one of King Arthur, Loose Laces or Sugarpot Gamelan.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

A_Likely_Mike wrote:15-16 Puzzle
------------

Not sure on the dischordant sections
What parts did you find to be dischordant?
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Every once in a while, there is a song that is so incredibly campy that it wins me over. One of my favorite songs of all time is "I'm Ugly and I don't know why" by Butt Trumpet, and the music of Freezepop always put a smile on my face. Today, I add another song to that list- the Loose Laces' "Red Skates". The music is fun. The lyrics are funnier. The vocals are great (is that you, mob01d?). And I find myself loving it more with every listen.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
moboid
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by moboid »

Niveous wrote:The music is fun. The lyrics are funnier. The vocals are great (is that you, mob01d?).
Oui, c'est moi! The colllab is me, future boy, and our secret friend stuf.

Glad you liked it, Niv.
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

15-16 Puzzle Sounds like a Tom Lear opening. This could be a great song with added dynamics. It is a good song anyway. I like the da da solo... nice.
Creep Nice harmonies. Music is boring so far. The few lyrics are good.
King Arthur I feel like I am in a Jimmy Buffet concert. I like it. This is some seriously talented writing. The music is pretty good but the lyrics make this awesome! Possible vote.
Leaf 62 You are bringing the rock! Woo Hoo! Nice head banger! Mucho Gusto! Nothing wrong here. Another possible vote. Hmmmm.
The Likely Lads I like the type of music and you do it pretty good. The only issue is your vocals in parts are flat. You have a great voice other than that. The song isn't keeping me... Gin Blossoms?
Loose Laces Interesting start. Hmmm... I wish you didn't start with flat notes. Mostly on pitch. Good feel. "Make you dance like you have ass in your pants"?!? Catchy. I am torn between really liking this and calling it a Japanese game show theme.
Mediteraniem Awesome! Nice beach sound. I like songs that hide fucked up lyrics. This is messed up. "Form a circle and whack it"... hehehehehe. Great song!!!
Pipe Fist Dude, in most fights this would be ok. This fight has such great songs this one doesn't cut it for me.
Poor June Ditto what I said to Pipe. Wasn't there a charity drive to get you better recording equipment?
Sugarpot Gamelan I can't hear the vocals very well. This may have been saved by the lyrics/vocals but I can't hear them. Sorry.
WreckdoM I think I was in this band in High School! Guys... It needs more of your signature sounds. Still funny, just not on par the usual stuff the Wreakdom produces.

I am going to have to listen to this more before I can click a vote. Some of you peeps are too good!

[edit] After listen again King Arthur gets my vote. I loved the lyrics!
PipeFist
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by PipeFist »

Pipe Fist Dude, in most fights this would be ok. This fight has such great songs this one doesn't cut it for me.
haha, yeah, I chose a bad song to do for my first one. When I heard all the competition, I lost what little hope I had left after hearing the final product. But after all that work trying to get it in at the last minute, I couldn't just scrap the project. I promise next week's will be better.

Well, hopefully, anyway.