Aww, what a cute little review! (Cute Boots reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Aww, what a cute little review! (Cute Boots reviews)

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Okay, the three LiveFight entries from NYC can be found here:
Niveous
Jim Tyrrell
roymond

These are the recordings from the club. However JimT and roymond requested that their songs not be entered in the official fight as-is, but they planned to make new versions of the songs. But if you want to review these or something, here they are!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

The version I submitted is only slightly higher-quality than this, as it turns out. I've got to get a better live recording solution, now that I have a band and stuff.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

<b>Enter It In The Art Show</b> - this fight is starting out the right way. Wonderful street band scene.

<b>Caravan Ray</b> - I want to believe there's a drunken chorus chanting "Caravan Ray", and I won't even get into what the ladies are throwing on the stage. Nice setting here. Is that a ruler or are we ready to erect something? Yeah, all class.

<b>LSK</b> - is the legendary instrumental we all know and love? Nice fade.

<b>Niveous</b> - "drag the river" is perhaps a difficult line to get on the radio, but the GBBM ambiance is sweet. The topography of this song is insane appropriate for your subject. It gets to where your voice is cracking on "she had on..." each time. Well done, Niv.

<b>Jim Tyrrell</b> - venue name in the lyric = -1 point, but the clever turns win it back. I like the military drum. Did you say this is a new (live) version?

<b>roymond</b> - mine was a bit rough live, I wasn't accustomed to how the XO responds in live performance and I screwed up the lyric enough (which I sort of like). So, I recorded it straight, but it comes off pretty...dry. Should have stuck the live banter on the lead in or something :(
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

roymond wrote: <b>Caravan Ray</b> - I want to believe there's a drunken chorus chanting "Caravan Ray"
That bit is actually real - recorded at the "All Tan" live fight at Santa Cruz (this is sort of All Tan part 2 - if you are lucky enough to have a drunken chant on tape, it seems silly not to use it as much as possible). Otherwise - where reality stops and where the 'theatre of the mind' begins - I shall leave up to the listener.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

Ray, that was over a year and half ago, get over yourself... :D
Also, it seems like midlife is messing with your sex life.
good song tho.

Niveous, post the lyrics man. Thats a sweet song, nerve wrecking.. but sweet. liked it.
Stu
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, Finale
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Stu Jordan, Theophilus Monk, The 'Scow

Post by Stu »

Caravan Ray - The lyrics are quite amusing, I don't doubt the quality of your pecs. I really dig the guitar sound.

Enter It In The Art Show - This song is at its best when that drum breakbeat is rocking along. The first half was nice, sort of fell off near the end though. The intro didn't certainly didn't suck though.

Minty Handy - Really love the chord progression. Sounds like a live recording, but a very nice tune. If the instrumentation got fleshed out more in the future, I would be all over that.

E.A. Pretzel - Elvis lives baby. Drums and bass are really solid. The voice turned me off a bit, but everything else is really well played.

thanks for the frisbee - Really pretty melody. The first 30 seconds or so sounds a bit like Jimmy Eat World, which I enjoy. This song is really put together well and everything fits right where it should. I think it would've been cool if during the "oh oh" parts it would've been something like "Wuh oh, uh oh, uh oh" or something to that effect. It would add a little more contrast and wouldn't seem so even and static. A top contender!

Steve Durand - Another one with entertaining lyrics. De-hired is a good word. The lyrics are easily my favorite part. Your use of Cute Boots is something I never would've thought of, very nice.

Niveous - This song just got better and better the longer I listened. The story is excellent and I couldn't stop listening because you drew me in. The atmosphere for the recording worked perfectly for the song.

The Weakest Suit - The best parts were the stop time parts right before the drums kick in. The song spoke best to me during those sections. A pretty good song, but not my favorite of the fight.

Lord of Oats - Really hip live feel with vocal delivery. The sample of crowd screaming really hits the spot. The chords always seem to change in the same place and it gets a little tiring after a while. Loved it every time the solo guitar came in, it works perfectly for that laid back live feel.

Jimmy Jet & His TV Set - I appreciate the effort with the shaker, but it could've been a bit more precise. This is a cute song though, it works well in this stripped down setting. I also like your vocal delivery, kinda crooked but kinda soulful. A very nice song.

Flvxxvm Florvm- The bass and drums have a big country feel, which is just fine, but then the distorted chunky guitar doesn't work for me in that style. I think I'd like it more if it were an acoustic. The electric solo works pretty well though.

roymond - Cool effects and the melody really works for me. The melody is really cool, but that synthy motif gets a bit overpowering. If that was missing from the mix, or maybe if it were in a different instrument I would really like a lot more. Overall a cool song though.

the plasters! - The raw rock feel is refreshing. This was probably a live recording so the production quality is forgiven. Very driving and I think that's what I like best about it.

Precarious Loaf - I like your voice here. The song's a bit static, if it had a few added instruments it would probably be quite cool. Only good as it is though.

Jim Tyrrell - The musty club atmosphere crowd works really well with the song. Sounds like a shanty, and that's not a bad thing. A really great bar band!

LSK - Ah, the ol' distorted guitar setting on the keyboard. It has never served me well.

Lockheed Symphony - The synth feel is kinda cool. Very detached. Not really my style unfortunately. I think it's put together very well though. All the different sounds are interesting.

The swamp donkeys - Points for rhyming queef with wildebeest.

Second Banana - Fun rhythm. The spoken group vocals work well and I really like the guitar tone too. Nice contrast with the organ part. This song really works for me.

Syd & Me - This is really fun! I think this is probably the second best lyric behind Niveous. Great pop fun, that's about all I can say. Disney would do well to buy this song off of you and make Hannah Montana sing it.

Delirimouse - I wish the harmonica was a bit more active. It's a pleasant song, but a little plodding.

My vote has to go to thanks for the frisbee! Really great song, excellent melody and vocal delivery.

Runners up:
1. Niveous
2. Minty Handy
3. Syd & Me
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

It's probably a good thing i didn't enter this time. The first thing that came to mind when I saw "Cute Boots" was that old perverted pick up line. "Nice shoes, wanna screw?" :P
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Thanks For The Frisbee

Kudos for not doubling your lead vocal this time. It really sounds much better.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Niveous - your song is so haunting it's playing constantly in my head. Great changes and surprising turns under an unusual melody. Really really interesting piece.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

Niveous - awesome song. the tone of your voice, the live atmosphere, and the chords all combine into a very memorable song and a very memorable performance. strong songwiting. my vote goes to you.
saunter
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Pronouns: *

Post by saunter »

Last edited by saunter on Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

No lyrics forgotten, just a short song. Thanks for the feedback; it amazes me that you liked my voice, given that I was singing through a bad cold. Heh.

Niveous, I couldn't listen to your song past "find my daughter", because I have one, and now I'm going to be nervous until she and her brother get home. You and your expressive lyrics.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Caravan Ray - That envelope filter/wah thingy is super, to start with. But the 'pa-toing' of the slide appearing nearly made me piss myself, despite the rather unsettling image it put forth. The song is good groovy fun, if not the most adventurous arrangement. I enjoy the swaggering gloatage and have only minor concerns that you're being serious. I would be glad to watch this performed live, but maybe from the back row.

Delirimouse - This almost sounds like an old 4-track recording. The mood is pleasant enough, but it does just kind of tread water a bit. There is no need, certainly, to have to go all over the place with a melody or arrangement, but even a simple one time change might've shined a little light on its soul. The vocals almost sound like they're telling an inside joke and are too mumbly to grasp onto.

E.A. Pretzel - This is me with a way too sped up voice: I didn't test the amount of alteration it would receive at regular playback speed. I have no idea where the piano went in the mix, it sat in the right spot while mixing. This is my response to Jack Frosts Elvis option.

Enter It In The Art Show - This sounds like more than you could get a good grip on in the short time you had, but has lots of fun ideas in it. The instruments sure sound live and might've been helped with a more straight-up vocal delivery, as their general sloppiness adds too much to the looseness. I like how it rocks, but isn't all tough or serious sounding. Good playing that hopefully we'll hear more of in the future.

Flvxxvm Florvm - I'd like the focus of this song mixed with the riffs of the Weather song. Still, the rhythm grows on me and sounds great for the lead section. The organ work is well done and adds that sunny/trippy feel to it. I like the lines about being the devil, but is this a fetish song? Most excellent fuzz, of course.

Jimmy Jet and his TV Set - I like the transiton from verse to chorus the best. The verses display the time restraints most as they are more demo sounding then the rest of the song. Pleasant enough, I have a hankering for a bridge in there somewhere. This might be worth your time to spiff up, if that's in your way to do things.

Jim Tyrrell - This makes me want to drink, and just imagine how exciting it would be with the whole gaggle of patrons boozily singing along. The arrangement is just right and the round again to completion cycle of lyrics and tune is well done. I don't know that this would be the standout of a live set of related tunes, but it would fit in nicely w/o being a pooper.

Lockheed Symphony - I like that this is all geeky weird, and dig the sci-fi attitudes and tonalities, but for some reason I was expecting a more rappy vocal delivery. I don't know if that's good or bad. I like this more after the first listen, but it's not an everydayer. Is the vacuum at the end your expression of feeling about the song?

Lord of Oats - Very good live job, especially the intro and lead sections. There are some nice simple melodic ideas that try to poke through their shaky delivery (vocals) and an excellent foundation under the bridge. Gonna have to go with the too long stamp although this arrangement makes sense for what you were going for. Maybe some shout outs or crazy vocals at the end. "Thank you-I love you all! Goodnight Poughkeepsie!"

LSK - Huh? This sounded like it was setting something interesting up, if sloppily. Then it started tripping over the wrong click-track and went away. C'mon, what gives? Don't tease the dog with scraps, you'll just make him angry.

Minty Handy - I know that you were sick, but it almost comes across as anger here. Regardless, this darkish yet out for a stroll tune works well for both the wonderful chord progressions and the chorus melody, epsecially. I could hear horns playing the same melody all "ba-da-da-dut-da-da". A good one to flesh out more when you're feeling better perhaps, as there's more than a quick toss-off here. One of the Titans of Melody around here, I say.

Niveous - It doesn't get much darker than this, hopefully. I can understand why parents might not want to listen to this, but it is certainly an excellent insight into the torture and obsession one might feel in such an awful situation. Nice vocal delivery with lots of feel though some of the storyline loses a bit of focus and the ending feels like it arrives abruptly. Still, excellent song in a murder ballad type way, which I enjoy very much.

the plasters! - I like this but feel like it's not dangerous enough somehow. Like maybe it was a bad take or you guys were feeling a little poopy. Needs to be more reckless, I suppose. I like the drums especially, and the harmony sounding guitar riffs a minute in. Nice scruffy live jam room recording that serves it well here. How about another?

Precarious Loaf - I like this old timey feel and the melodies are real fun, especially the big jump up to the chorus and the transition back out. Yet something about the guitar as accompaniment doesn't work %100 for me. Maybe different instrumentation or strum pattern perhaps. Still, good melodies that evoke early 70's AM radio tunes. ( A good thing, to me)

roymond - Wonderfully weird, the melodies are from a Bizzaro World White Album I think, but that's what I dig about them. I like the key sounds but agree with the comments that maybe it gets a little too thick at times. I'd like to hear something distant and up high in there somewhere. Kind of pulling at some part of your brain while you aren't particularly aware that it's happening. Good voice, too.

Second Banana - The rhythm is fun here with the percussive guitar bordering on annoying, but effective. I like the change-up halfway through and feel that it adds a dose of needed freshness. The deadpan vocals work in spots but could benefit with a little melody in there. I like the overall vibe of this and it has a nice enough energy, but could use a little beefin' up.

Steve Durand - Great take on the title, fitting and true, and the lyrics are wonderfully clever. The melody is fine but the supporting chords are fantastic and the choice of organ dead on. And the little twiddle-diddle-dee before the verses is classic. Just the right length too, but maybe a little more might not've hurt.

Stu Jordan - After I get over the whiff of Eagles on the opening line, I totally dig this sunny and melodic affair. Well, maybe not the lead, but that's trivial to the melodies and strolling right along chord progressions. This is nice and upbeat w/o being a cornball. It may not have the take home forever hook, but doesn't really need it anyway. Nice voice and playing as well, if this was an easy toss off for you, man, you got it goin' on. Good work.

The swamp donkeys - Ya gotta commit to that accent, boy. This lacks confidence and could have been more fun with a little more attitude. Can I get a yee-haw out there? YEEEEEE-HAAAAWWWW!

Syd and Me - Syd may yet be able to control her pitch like her dad does, but she sounds like she's having more fun than not. Good work, Syd. The music is very well done, although very backing track sounding, like it could've also been used in an infomercial. I understand why, though, I think, and hats off for saying "I'd like this for her to sing over" and cranking it out. More solid craftsmanship from the very talented Durand clan.

thanks for the frisbee - Don't listen to them, Friz: your voice sounds fine here in single track mode. There are lines where a harmony or an overlapping vocal might be nice, but not needed. This has those nice happy/sad feelings that I enjoy so much in your songs, but I was a little surprised by the guitar playing and how nice it was, you wouldn't suffer from showing us a little more of that in the future. I enjoy the sunny and circular chorus the most though.

The Weakest Suit - Some of the key changes make me turn my head and go "huh?", but I like where they end up. The sleazy-ish Stones feel when the drums come in and things get a little crunchy is good. The vocal could afford to explore some different territories here as it seems to hang around the same few notes a bit too much. I like the accented cute boots yells when the other voices join, but feel this was maybe an underexploited direction to persue.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
saunter
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Pronouns: *

Post by saunter »

Last edited by saunter on Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

EITAS - You're welcome, and thank you for your critiques. Yeah, I really thought that your track had a couple of guys doing the basic rhythm tracks and then some overdubs. Some good ideas in there, I like the chunga drums and how it changes around 1:10 or so. Maybe one voice a little more upfront, mix-wise, would've helped it tighten up a bit.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Cute Boots Reviews

SO I’ve been remisce in my reviewing duties lately. Just trying to maximize family time and prioritizing writing over reviewing. Steve said to review this fight first since he’s in this one. Pretty listenable throughout. I don’t think there’s a single clunker.

Caravan Ray “Live recording” - sort of this is pretty cute but goes one step too far for prudish me - playing slide with that? I hope you aren’t using round wound strings. good groove, nice guitar playing al. But not a lot there for me. - Ok+

Precarious Loaf Your voice is great for this (I’m envious)! A pretty darn good song, are you singing from the point of two different characters? I think the chorus feels a little long for it - good bridge, though. Good.

Steve Durand Great use of passing chords and tones. I think I would have preferred a grand piano sound here, but you’ve got what you’ve got. Pretty clever take on the title, as others have mentioned. This hearkens to Tom Lehrer, with the old fashioned intro and up-beat body. The ending is great, I think bringing the vocal line up could have punched it a little better - it comes off as a litttle abrupt, because there is no context the song is ending. Very Good!

Frisbee Did you record this “live,” is that why you have only one vocal track? some nice poetry here, but as you know I have a difficult time connecting to your overall lyrical approach. I like your use of “Oh,” though. I’m terrible at that kind of stuff. nice tune and playing. very pleasant. Good -

EIITAS First time through I clicked past this. The production and style is terrible. But when I made myself sit through it I found some of the word work and ideas pretty good. Even so there’s a lot in the way here. I admit, though I’d ike to hear Beastie boys do this. Ok - better than it sounds.

LSK I have no idea why this is called Cute boots? Is there supposed to be a cowboy theme in there somewhere? And hoof sounds. bummer - I kinda like d your Mr. Sandwich. - Thanks for Playing.

Stu First off, it sounds like you could use a pick - I can send you one if you want. Very nice chord and melody work. It doesn’t grab me a lot after that, but it’s very pleasant and well done. Do you like Aztec Camera? Good.

Niveous Certainly a haunting package from the words to the guitar voicing, the quality of your voice, the sound quality. You totally have me through the first verse and chorus, but you lose me at the “tarnish on the gold” line, what don’t we know about your daughter. Then third verse feels a little pedantic lyrically to me. With more work I think this could become a great goth-folk piece. Good - (PS - how long did you guys at the live fight have to do this?)

Lockheed Symphony Not sure why, but I really didn’t like this. It seemed quite forced to me and the concept didn’t appeal to me. You created some nice textures, though. OK-

Swamp Donkeys This is not my sense of humor, which pretty much means the song goes right past me. I think I know some people who would think this was funny. Ok-

Roymond How come so many of these songs about Cute Boots sound so serious? Honestly, I’ll say - I don’t think I get this.I like your intensity. Ok

Delirimouse This starts out sort of sweet.and stays that way. ok

FF Cool groove. I would love to jam with you sometime. The words and music work very well together and you walk a line with getting into a crude that won’t play with the song (kinda scary actually). The last verse is not quite as strong. I kinda like this. Good.

Second Banana Nice acoustic bass line - it adds a good color (or is it colour?) The changes and tune make this somewhat monotonous. It sounds like you want to have a ska song. IF that’s the case, a more ska production would help sell the song. In teh bridge harmonies on the OOhs and other long notes would also help push the energy. The break is unnecessary. some pretty good thoughts in overall structure and theme, though. Ok

Syd and Me This came out much as I was hoping. Thanks for the reviews. Syd tried very hard on this was excited to hear the positive comments (especially from Paco, who addressd her directly, and Stu, for the “comparison” to Hannah Montana). She recorded all of her vocals in about a 40 minute recording session. I also appreciated those that recognized the consciousness of the stylistic choice musically. Also I’m glad Art show heard the sunny day blues irony. It was also, of course, a nice bonding deal for me and my kid.

Jim Tyrell I really like this! a Pogues-ish drinking tribute. Definitely my front runner at this point - I’ll need t go listen to the “proper” recording. I have to say - it drops a notch at the even cute when she boots thing (is that bout puking?). Although perhaps that’s essentially to her walking away? Anyway I think that could be adjusted. Of course, I wasn’t drinking a black and Tan (or a fifth one) when I listened, so perhaps I’m missing something. Very Good.

Calm down Oats Cool changes and I like the stereo chorus thing (80s production bias). Takes a long time getting started. You could fade the screaming out, once you’re singing. This is structured pretty nicely, but the tune and structure are not enough to support the fact that your chorus and verse feel somewhat similar. Also, the combo of your voice and production get in the way of hearing the song. You might look into getting someone else to sing some of your material. Ok+

The Plasters Wow! as a child of the 80s I really like the sound of this. Like the Garage new wave of the early 80s. The song sounds ok, too, what I can here of it. Oh, now I hear the spoken part and don’t like it as much. Ok

Clubs nice opening. Why Ramona? Just curious. good changes in texture. guitar bit after first chorus is a bit too long. and the lyrics are repeating too much. You need a different second verse. That would make all the difference here. Much of the rest is really good - ok

[bElvis[/b]clever. but one notch too novelty for me. Also too mn of the words are just o fill space - the beer /ear thing for instance. nice guitar playing. Ok

Jimmy Jet The shaker is good - makes it sound like your strings are really loose. Nice tune and stuff. catchy. The story again doesn’t speak to me, seems like there’s lots like this in the fight. OK+

MInty Handy Nice turn going into the chorus. It does sound at the end of the chorus like you’re forgetting o missing some lyrics. Come nice stuff here. It’s weird that the choruses are so much longer than the verses. 4 times? 8 times? structurally that’s weird for me. I also want a bridge or something. good draft. Good.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Stu
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, Finale
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Stu Jordan, Theophilus Monk, The 'Scow

Post by Stu »

Hmm, I used a pick on all the guitar parts on this tune. I dunno, I'm not a big fan of that really live acoustic sound where you can hear every little nuance of the pick scraping against the strings. I like to downplay it.

As for Aztec Camera, I can't say I'd heard that name before right now. I just looked them up and listened to Oblivious and enjoyed it a lot though. So, I guess the answer is yes.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

Ross wrote:Clubs nice opening. Why Ramona? Just curious. good changes in texture. guitar bit after first chorus is a bit too long. and the lyrics are repeating too much. You need a different second verse. That would make all the difference here. Much of the rest is really good - ok.
ramona quimby. she is the title character in a series of childrens books that follow her life from 4-10 years old. characters and incidents from the books are cited throughout the lyrics. there is a memorable chapter about getting new boots in the book "ramona the pest" that stuck in my head after i read the title. you have a daughter, right? if she is in grade school she may really like these books. they have stuck with me for about a quarter century.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Thanks for all the great reviews everyone. I'm glad everyone has dug the song.
Ross wrote:Niveous Certainly a haunting package from the words to the guitar voicing, the quality of your voice, the sound quality. You totally have me through the first verse and chorus, but you lose me at the “tarnish on the gold” line, what don’t we know about your daughter. Then third verse feels a little pedantic lyrically to me. With more work I think this could become a great goth-folk piece. Good - (PS - how long did you guys at the live fight have to do this?)
We only had about 3 days to put together our songs. And as for the tarnish on the gold line. What don't you know about the daughter. She isn't perfect. At the start of relationships when it's all lust and sparkle, you don't notice flaws. Eventually the lust goes and the sparkle fades and you see people's flaws and some people can't handle that.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Stu wrote:Hmm, I used a pick on all the guitar parts on this tune. I dunno, I'm not a big fan of that really live acoustic sound where you can hear every little nuance of the pick scraping against the strings. I like to downplay it.
Interesting, didn't sound like a pick to me. We all have our preferences
As for Aztec Camera, I can't say I'd heard that name before right now. I just looked them up and listened to Oblivious and enjoyed it a lot though. So, I guess the answer is yes.
YEah, some of your jazz chord choices and your soling style reminded me of the them (him - Roddy Frame).
The Weakest Suit wrote: ramona quimby. she is the title character in a series of childrens books that follow her life from 4-10 years old. characters and incidents from the books are cited throughout the lyrics. there is a memorable chapter about getting new boots in the book "ramona the pest" that stuck in my head after i read the title. you have a daughter, right? if she is in grade school she may really like these books. they have stuck with me for about a quarter century.
Ah, that sounds familiar. I think I can sort of recall the cover illustrations. That helps, thanks. I'll have to check out those books for my girls.
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

Hey, to those two folks who mentioned that it sounded like I forgot lyrics...can you clarify if you meant "your voice sounded like you were covering for a forgotten lyric" or "the chorus felt unfinished lyrically, like there should have been more"?

Thanks in advance. Valuable feedback for me. :)
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

MintyHandy wrote:Hey, to those two folks who mentioned that it sounded like I forgot lyrics...can you clarify if you meant "your voice sounded like you were covering for a forgotten lyric" or "the chorus felt unfinished lyrically, like there should have been more"?

Thanks in advance. Valuable feedback for me. :)
The part I'm talking about is when you sing:

"I would not last one minute la da da da da da past"

Sounds like there's either words you never wrote, or that you forgot.