I'm crushing your head (A Problem of Perspective Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

I'm crushing your head (A Problem of Perspective Reviews)

Post by erik »

Don't even think about trying to block me.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Re: I'm crushing your head (A Problem of Perspective Reviews)

Post by rone rivendale »

Nice Kids in the Hall reference. It's not lost on me. :P
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

While the songs are being uploaded, let's start by reviewing the file names for this week's submissions. Lunkhead needs something to do. Can YOU spot the errors?

dyinglight_apop.mp3
lordofoats_apop.mp3
kingarthur_apop.mp3
kidcruiser_apop.mp3
melvin_apop.mp3
merisan_apop.mp3
handformula_apop.mp3
anjaclairefeatevile_pop.mp3
stujordan_apop.mp3
weakestssuit_apop.mp3
thanksforthefrisbee_pop.mp3
capitalistyouth-apop.mp3
A Problem of Perspective.mp3
realityrespond_apop.mp3
jeffrobertson_apop.mp3
Problem of Perspective.mp3

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Spud wrote:While the songs are being uploaded, let's start by reviewing the file names for this week's submissions. Lunkhead needs something to do. Can YOU spot the errors?

dyinglight_apop.mp3
lordofoats_apop.mp3
kingarthur_apop.mp3
kidcruiser_apop.mp3
melvin_apop.mp3
merisan_apop.mp3
handformula_apop.mp3
anjaclairefeatevile_pop.mp3
stujordan_apop.mp3
weakestssuit_apop.mp3
thanksforthefrisbee_pop.mp3
capitalistyouth-apop.mp3
A Problem of Perspective.mp3
realityrespond_apop.mp3
jeffrobertson_apop.mp3
Problem of Perspective.mp3

SPUD
I'll try a few.

the first seven are all okay
8. should be "anjaclairfeatevile_apop
there's and exra "S" in weakestsuit
frisbee put "pop" instead of "apop"
two people didn't put their band name in at all
capitalist youth put a dash instead of an underscore (evil-e should have put a dash)
Jeff rRobertson should have added "&neocandylanders"

How'm I doin'?
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
JachS
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Keyboard and Vocals
Recording Method: Line6 ToneportUX2 + Cubase SX
Submitting as: Jach S

Post by JachS »

A Problem of Perspective Reviews By Jach S

The Hand Formula
- First thing I notice is the quietness, feels like your quite a distance from the Microphone, and that its turned up very high. Vocals could be higher as I'm struggling to hear the words. I feel your talking the words more than singing. The higher lead tune does get irritating by 2 minutes in. I feel from the melody your trying to get from the singing that you could write a song alot stronger, the recording quality will come with practice.

The Capitalist Youth
- I like the intro tune, goes well with the vocal style. The lyrics themselves I like and the little variations in the music help the song flow, stops it getting boring. Overall I like this song, good flow, good vocal melody and style, and good quality recording. keeper. :)

Thanks For the Frisbee
- I like the tune, the vocals are a little weak in the first verse, but seem to improve when you reach the doubled vocal part. I like the central solo though it may be a little too long. Again I aint feeling the second verse, but really love the double vocals after. It works as a song, and i managed to listen to the very end.

Merisan
- Very strong intrumental intro. The overall quality of the instrumental is very impressive. The vocals are equally as impressive might i add. The background singing really adds to the feel and works really well. Can't knock this song, the sound quality and levels, the vocal and instrumental seem pretty spot on, I wouldn't be shocked if i bought this song in a shop. Slight jelously sinks in ;)

Dying Light
- Now I'm glad to see this style of music has been included, dont see it often. And the music has got me listening. Although the guitar and drums aint that tight it dont distract to much. The vocals do need to be stronger for this time of song, really open your lungs and let rip. Feels like your talking the lyrics, it should feel that your jumping to the music.....if need be turn the music higher, force you to sing over it and really feel the where the song wants to be. Your not a bad singer, its just the vocals aren't as powerful as the tune.

Jeff Robertson
- Not really feeling this style, kinda hillbilly. I wouldnt stick around to hear this kind of music live. I feel some of the guitar distracting like it dont fit properly. The only kinda songs that suit this style come from stand up perfromances, im sorry, just not feeling this at all.

Reality Respond
- I like the tune even though it sounds like something from a 90s computer game. The vocal tune is good,
I feel this song would be alot better id you hadnt used that crap electronic effect. I'd love to hear it without the effect and just a plain tune. I feel it would work better.

King Arthur
- Like the strong intro. Musically sound and great quality recording. I realy like this tune its got me rocking min my chair. all the intruments work well and I like the drums they keep it all together well and you can you feel the song building up. This one again is keeper in my eyes, the well timed inkeeping solo clinchs it for me. Fits really well. good job.

Stu Jordan
- I dont mind guy and guitar songs, the more the merrier. The one thing I look for in them tho is a good hook. Yours is a little weak, but does the job in my eyes. Strange OOOs arent needed and neithers the distorted end solo, if that was clean or even acoustic it would work alot better, the chorus just about holds the song together... Good effort in my eyes, the vocal style works well

Lord of Oats
- Theres along wait for the lyrics to start (a sin I'm often guilty of). But when they do start im not they fit the tune. The two dont click. Not feeling this style of song, and the tune could use some variation, the change at 2:30 is nice but a lil late in my eyes. Not feeling the words. though they made me smile.

The Weakest Suit
- I think your holding a good hand here, the guitar intro has me expecting. Nothing is really holding me to this song, I find it disapearing into the background. very basic guy and guitar structure, which I personally like and would listen to live. Though when recorded it sometimes needs a little extra to have the right impact. This would sound good live I feel

IqBallers
- Love the intro, but what goes wrong. its a really good intro lead riff, though the entire feel goes over the verses....the vocals are weak, should be really strong in a song like this. They should be dominant and shouldnt feel as though there been talked in the background. It's almost like your singing kareoke to your own song, leave the strange high singing out. Stronger vocals, and if you'd have stuck to the initial rocking out this song would be great. Keep up the work, you'll hit it soon.

Kid Cruiser
- Dont like the intro, strange knocking noises. the oooos seem in tune thankfully, that could have gone massively wrong. The actual singing style is good and your voice is good. I like it but the lyrics are terrible (they work but aint a nice subject)...damn near offensive. Not one you'd catch me singing along with. My god, i cant stop laughing, its good but about something sooo bad. you crazy catchy son of mother who's actions are publically obsene. why? just why?

Anja Claire feat. Evil-E
- Woah sudden start. Like your singing though, love it even. This song is well put together and holds my attention really well. The vocals hold me the most. Keeper in my eyes, not sure about the sudden slow ending part, not to keen personally, but hey we all got to try something unique, though I dont feel it works.

Ralph Baumgardner
- First impressions is that is all very distractions, im listening to the guitar the vocals and the distant lead as if there all supposed to be at the front, they arent flowing together, they're all fighting for the central melody, and getting in the way of each other. Not feeling this.

Melvin
- Big fish little fish cardboard box...like the beat.the vocals are very good, you pull of the style almost perfectly. I love alot of styles and this is one of the best songs of this style I've heard in a long time. Good lyrics, well delivered adn well timed. the guitsr solo I feel fits really well and seals this song for me, great job.

Well done to everyone, a good enjoyable listen in my eyes
thanks
Jach S
TheCapitalistYouth
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Firepod/Cubase LE, 80's era TASCAM 4-track

Post by TheCapitalistYouth »

That Kid Cruiser song is essentially awesome.
WEBSITES >> WOO | WOO | WOO
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

Spud wrote:weakestssuit_apop.mp3
apologiess Spud, it will never happen again.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

Damn my first 'real' entry like forever and my first entry this year and it gets lost.... pooh!
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

We all make mistakes. The extra 's' in Weakestssuit was my addition. I had some problems with the email this week, so if you would be so kind as to re-send, Nigel, I will get it posted.

SPUD
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.

Thanks for the promptness Spud, consider it re-sent! :)
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

NP. Consider it posted.

SPUD
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Don't forget to add it to the podcast file... assuming it's the "accessorytwelve" file that's now showing up on the main page, if not, then check that one too...

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street

Thanks guys, now to continue listening...
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

king_arthur wrote:Don't forget to add it to the podcast file... assuming it's the "accessorytwelve" file that's now showing up on the main page, if not, then check that one too...

Charles (KA)
Charles, I did add it to the podcast files. Do I also need to change the data in the podcast header, to let iTunes (or whatever) know that there is new data? Anyone?
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

JachS wrote:A Problem of Perspective Reviews By Jach S

Thanks For the Frisbee
- I like the tune, the vocals are a little weak in the first verse...... Again I aint feeling the second verse...
thanks for the review, do you think i should have doubled my vox the whole bit? i thought about it, but since some say " dont double " some say "do double" i thought id try a mix.
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

frisbee, king arthur, merisan, melvin, loo, and stu!!!
i can't wait to listen to this fight.
i also feel worse about my song now, which was a live take that was pretty improvised.
maybe i'll be able to turn it around for Robot Candy Date.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Thanks again to Niveous, who wrote us some fine lyrics to put to music.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

TheCapitalistYouth wrote:That Kid Cruiser song is essentially awesome.

I wonder if their a Flight of the con-chords tribute band?

Either way they get the point across, with an awesome song that everyone can love to hate.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street

A Problem Of Perspective: Some thoughts!

King Arthur: You're obviously making the most of your dwindling 'alone time' because this is another near perfect driving tune, I think I read somewhere that you use Band-in-a-Box to create your drum lines, are they the 'real drums'? because they sound like them, odd thought... this track would not have been out of place in the 'Hawaii 5-O' movie that was never made!!!
Completely enjoyable, definate keeper, potential voter!

Thanks for the Frisbee: Love the 'all alone' style intro, and the trademark harmonies kick in perfectly, it's been a while since I've listened to you guys, and I can hear less anti-folk, more indie/alternative, this is kept increadibly simple yet maintains the listeners attention, rather like the slightly rambling lyrical style. Think I'll keep this one!

Lord of Oats: I'm wondering when you had time to fit this in with your nur ein entry, personally I can't keep track of more than one project at a time, so well done on that score, like the little synthy intro line, though it does get a little tired, and the vocal is a bit flat, but then I also believe you've been ill, so that's understandable, I've heard you do better, but this isn't bad!!

The Capitalist Youth: Nice lyrics, another extremely gentle melody, perfect pause and sway interpretation, harking back to the lyrics, the story depicted is really rather good and you should be exeptionally proud of yourself this is actually very good, I'm quite moved by this and it makes me think of a stripped down 'eels'. definate keeper, could be voter!

The Hand Formula: Odd, sounds like you opened a music box, there's some interesting stuff happening here, but it's all a touch muffled (recording issue), sounds very sad and makes me think of rain running down a window!
Potentially cute, possibly clever, needs cleaning up a bit!

Anja Claire feat. Evil-E: Cool... (let's not worry about the lack of intro!) yeah this is really smart, like I've just gone into a club halfway through the support band's set and been blown away by them and wish I'd left the house earlier, very original approach, outside bet for a vote!

Reality Respond: Arrgh! that snare(ish) noise is really annoying, I can fully understand why it's there and the whole "oops we're recording" thing is old yet done quite well, you got some great ideas here, but it's a little far out in this form, a strange entry yet not an altogether unpleasant ride!

Melvin: This is a bit of a style change isn't it melvin, odd thing, as I was walking home from work I was working a track similar to this in my mind, the whole it's not really rap style lends itself very well to your vocals, not overly sure about the backing track, it works very well, maybe the bass is a bit too grumbly, but something there isn't working for me, (quite possibly this could be a style issue, and it'll grow on me after subsequent listens).

The Weakest Suit: Very similar in style to 'the Capitalist Youth' above, but a little less polished, not bad for a straight up 'gng' probably runs out of steam by two thirds of the way through and is rather samey throughout, but pleasant nonetheless.

Mersian: Gorgeous in a Sandie Shaw/The New Seekers/Petula Clark/Dusty Springfield kind of way,some rather nice little licks going on just to break things up, though the voice tends to carry us to the break, which is very spanish coastline, really I'm finding myself transported back to 1969, possible summer hit! though maybe goes on a bit! the lah lah's are superb.

Iqballers: Everything's set very far away... quite beatle-esque in it's melodies, in fact it sounds like a bit of a collage, though everything really doesn't come together as well as it possibly should, though with a bit more confidence this could be a lot better, get the levels turned up, take several attempts at the vocals, even cut and paste the the better bits, definate potential.

Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders: Another unexpected style change, I can almost see the local townsfolk marching over the hill to the sound of this, Not too sure if the verses fully suit the choruses here, it's almost like two songs tagged together with a hasty re-write, (hope that doesn't sound too disrespectful) this could possibly be another one of those that will need some more listening time applied to it, just at the moment it's not really coming together for me.

Ralph Baumgardner: Another new name for me, the melody doesn't really fit the rhythm here, this is a definate two or three ideas working at odds with each other, the gratuitous swearing is uneccessary and humorous in it's execution, quite a sloppy entry, but does have it's merits, there's a nice tone on the second guitar for example... needs more work, but ok!

Stu Jordan: Very sub-Aztec Camera approach, the choppy intro doesn't really work as well as I bet you thought it would, at times you're trying to fit far too many vowels into each bar and the vocal falls off the rhythm, but and this is a BIG BUT! probably one of the better 'gng' tracks this week, just really needs tightening up, sacrifice a few uneccessary lyrics, a touch more confidence in the vocal cut the length a bit and you've got yourself a possible winner!

Dying Light: Good track, could have been great but for your vocal performance, (I know I'm not really one too talk much about vocals, but...)
This is just begging for a bigger vocal sound, you've got everything else, maybe the drums are a bit one dimensional, but the ideas there and the execution isn't half bad, but something a bit shoutier (yet controlled) could have carried this track through it's faults, instead it added to them... shame, but all is not lost.

Kid Cruiser: I'm not averse to the occassional odd noise myself, but there's a few at the beginning of this, but then, shit! excellent vocals... excellent vocals, odd, quirky track that I really like, but lyrically it's not particularly clever is it? this is a real shame! I get what you're trying to achieve and I think you did it, you had a bit of a laugh, now come back next week, with something that really utilises that unique vocal of yours, ask around there are many gifted song writers here.

Accessory Twelve: No spOOns in the title is a shift in itself! this is me trying to merge that which I knew with that which I've learnt over the last 6 months, I consider this as a bit of a new start, or part three!!!

All in all there's some good tracks here, a few stand out head and shoulders above the others, and the whole sad guy and guitar thing seems to be flavour of the week, it's always odd when you get a lot of tracks that reflect the title in a similar way. I'll keep listening and vote before the deadline.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Spud wrote:
king_arthur wrote:Don't forget to add it to the podcast file... assuming it's the "accessorytwelve" file that's now showing up on the main page, if not, then check that one too...

Charles (KA)
Charles, I did add it to the podcast files. Do I also need to change the data in the podcast header, to let iTunes (or whatever) know that there is new data? Anyone?
Hi - I think you do, the .rss file needs to be updated to know about the new file. Juice is still not seeing it for me, but it may be that, because I downloaded the stuff before, juice doesn't want to rescan the .rss file or something. But I'm pretty sure that if it's not in the .rss file, there's no way that a podcast receiver will know about it...

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

King, I have updated the pubdate in the rss. Let me know if it works now.

SPUD
Learned Hand
A New Player
Submitting as: The Hand Formula

Post by Learned Hand »

Thanks for comments. This is the first song I've ever recorded. Hopefully, improvements are likely. I know sound quality is poor. Unfortunately, my only mic was the internal one on the laptop. Off to the store.
--------------------------------
The Hand Formula
http://thehandformula.blogspot.com/