Songfight LIVE 2008 Tampa, Hot & Sweaty

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Re: Songfight LIVE 2008 Tampa, Hot & Sweaty

Post by Hoblit »

frankie big face wrote:1. JB's not coming? That would be shocking. It's, like, the only time he ever leaves the house.

2. I'm sorry I can't make it Hoblit. For a split second last week, I thought "fuck it--I'll go" and then I realized it is the same weekend as my family vacation. I'll be in Prague enjoying some fine Czech beer.

3. If he shows up, don't let fluffy cover any of my songs this time. ;)
1. He has made no indication at any time that he would be coming in this thread or any other.

2. No problem, and you had pretty much let us know before the location, date, or venue were ever even announced. Hopefully we'll catch up in Spokane the following year man.

3. While Fluffy has not indicated that he's coming, if he does (and he's most welcome) I will make sure to beat him with his own guitar if anything the least bit 'FBF' comes out of the damn thing!
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Hoblit wrote: Caravan Ray (Maybe but not probable)
Well - I am no longer without a house, we found a house we move into next week. We also found a daycare centre for my daughter, which means I can now go out and find myself a job (damn). Our house in Brisbane is on the market and if it sells soon I will have plenty of money. And after babysitting my daughter for 3 weeks while my wife went to India, and quitting my job and moving to NZ for my wife's job - I definitely have an extended weekend leave pass owing to me.

So while I would still only rate myself as (Maybe but not probable) - it is still in the back of my mind.
ok, while i've enjoyed your fine company first hand once already, if you can make it, we will have to rent Santa outfits and pub crawl Tampa one night.

i'm completely serious here.
Hi!
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by The Weakest Suit »

you should probably move me from the "definitely" to the "maybe" catagory. lack of vacation days and gas prices. yep.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

jack wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
So while I would still only rate myself as (Maybe but not probable) - it is still in the back of my mind.
ok, while i've enjoyed your fine company first hand once already, if you can make it, we will have to rent Santa outfits and pub crawl Tampa one night.

...and Ybor City Tampa is nothing but one long strip of pub crawling goodness.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jack wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
Well - I am no longer without a house, we found a house we move into next week. We also found a daycare centre for my daughter, which means I can now go out and find myself a job (damn). Our house in Brisbane is on the market and if it sells soon I will have plenty of money. And after babysitting my daughter for 3 weeks while my wife went to India, and quitting my job and moving to NZ for my wife's job - I definitely have an extended weekend leave pass owing to me.

Yes, of course. A feature of original Santa Claus Pub Crawl in Newcastle was the fact that summer is a very inappropriate time to be wearing fur-lined santa suits - so it only makes sense that if we shift it to the Northern Hemisphere, we shift it to August - to maintain the same discomfort level. Sounds like a good idea to me! :D
bwell
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, piano, bass, mandolin
Submitting as: The BeWells

Post by bwell »

Having made it out the past two years, I should probably chime in sooner than later. Due to a number of circumstances this year I will be unable to make it, so you can put me (The BeWells) down for "can't make it". I have not even had much time to lurk around the boards these days, let alone make music. However, my sister (Lindsay) is a solid maybe at this point. She has been looking into making it and I will certainly do what I can to help her.

I will definitely be looking to make the trip out to Spokane next year and trying to get back to writing and recording more music well before then.

-andy
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Can I be an elf? I've never worn green tights, but I might be willing to give'm a go for a good cause.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:Can I be an elf? I've never worn green tights, but I might be willing to give'm a go for a good cause.
hell no, you're a santa too. :)

we can busk a set as "the bad santas". we could even cover a certain tune obscurity and i wrote.
Hi!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Well alright! Maybe "the Sweaty Santas"! Great tune, I'm on it.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Songfight Hot & Sweaty Site Update

I added lodging, general info, and Hoblit's Hideaway links.

Basically some google information on hotels near me/venue some points of interest in Tampa and elsewhere and information about where I live.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

cmon people, hoblit's been a standup d00d for organizing this thing, and yet nobody seems to want to come. i really don't get it. the past few years, this has been the HAPPENIN event in the songfight community and this year, barely a whisper. what gives?

is it the hot weather? apathy? help us out here! i'm planning to fly across country and leave beautiful humidity free santa cruz to come to tampa in the middle of august. paco's willing to drive from new hampshire! what's your excuse?

i guess if nothing else, it will hopefully be "stinky shite" opening for chris's band. not sure what to say chris. i'm trying to do my part here.

it's sad if this is the end of a cool tradition, because if nobody shows up but me and paco, that's what i fear it will be.
Hi!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

I see that Oatsey is around and feisty. Looking forward to his set, I am. :)
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:I see that Oatsey is around and feisty. Looking forward to his set, I am. :)
Hi Paco. Hello others. I am indeed dusting things off to see if anything still works around here and to start to get ready to perform, etc. I am still coming, barring some emergency, but I don't know what my situation is with musicians. I will see what I can put together here, but otherwise, would anyone like to be in my band? I don't really want this to be a thing where where the same four or five guys all switch instruments and do sets with a different guy leading the band each time, lest we have SFL: Chinese Fire Drill or something. Nor does SFL: G&G Spectacular sound all that great. For that reason alone, I would like to try show up with my own band. Details to come as they develop.

In the mean time, who would be available to play what instruments?

Also, does anyone like any songs of mine more than any others, regardless of whether you like any at all to begin with? Anything of mine you've been itching to hear? (Otherwise it's just going to be whatever is easiest for me to re-learn to play. :lol: )

I would be available to play guitar, bass, or maybe even drums in anyone's band.

Or should there be another thread for this stuff?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

As soon as someone buys this bastard then I might have a few spare bob in my pocket to allow me to pop over for the weekend. Otherwise - I'm just a poor, unemployed bum living in the arse-end of New Freaking Zealand who isn't gong anywhere.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Oatsey - I'd love to play in your band. You know what I can do, or pretend to do, so come up with some songs you'd like to play, and what parts you need help with. Simple beats, bass, guitar. Glad you're resurfacing! :)

Ray - Nice digs, man. Any interest?
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

Caravan Ray wrote:As soon as someone buys this bastard

Nice little place you had there, Ray.

I also have started rehearsing 1 of the songs I’ll probably end up playing, and could probably use some simple lead guitar either from Paco or Lord Oats.

Oatsey – If you need musician help, I can probably help out as well. (Bass, guitar, misc) and with me being in Orlando, I can probraly travel up / down 75 on a weekend to jam along if you want.
Also, dude you HAVE TO, JUST HAVE TO, perform at least one of your songs with oven mints.. it be badass.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Very nice, fantastic view, but - beige carpet?!?!

I had to take a day off work to go to Atlanta last year. It doesn't look like I have that day available this year, unfortunately, and Florida is even farther. Also, we played at NYC already... maybe if it was closer.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Dre wrote:I also have started rehearsing 1 of the songs I’ll probably end up playing, and could probably use some simple lead guitar either from Paco or Lord Oats.
Simple's my middle name! I'd totally love to play alongside you. This is what I'm talking about, peoples! :)
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

so i looked into flight costs today online and it's actually not bad. i found a round trip flight from San Jose to Tampa for $306. So i'm looking more and more definite, and hope to book a flight in the next week, maybe even this weekend since i got paid today. Short of a major job meltdown, i'll be there.

still have to deal with the lodging. i'll most likely be flying in on Friday evening and leaving on Sunday.

as for the show, i'm easy. i'd be happy to sit in with others, play a short acoustic set (with or without others), or just hang out and watch. i'm really going more to support chris in this, so i'm not expecting any major playing time.

hopefully, there will be a few other songfight folks in attendance. and dre, bring your sister! :O
Hi!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I am a maybe, leaning towards a yes. Lemme see what's doin' on the dates, and I'll try to firm up my decision.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

jb wrote:I am a maybe, leaning towards a yes. Lemme see what's doin' on the dates, and I'll try to firm up my decision.
Well, bro... we'd LOVE to have you... I mean, I think I owe you a beer or three or something...and there is no shortage of that here in Tampa.

I'd even invite you to MC this thing if you came. Is that incentive? If its the opposite, its ok, I can do it!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

JB wrote:I am a maybe, leaning towards a yes.
Keep leaning! :)