Obama 2008

Go ahead, get it off your chest.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I've never heard of this Obama bloke or what he's done - just please, this time - don't elect a President tells lies that result in the deaths of half a million civilians, allows the torture of prisoners and sets up gulags where men are arbitrarily detained without charge or trial. I think the Rest of the World has had just about enough of GWB's vision of "freedom" and "democracy".

Happily we are due for an election this year - and will hopefully have a new Pirme Minister soon - so one of GWB's head cheerleaders Mr John Howard (or as most Australians now like to call him, the lying, rat-faced little c*nt) should receive a well deserved trip to the septic tank of history.

(NB - watch for some sort of trial or "arrangement", and possible release of Aust. Guantanamo detainee David Hicks in the next few months. JH is holding it back as an election campaign starter, he will be looking for a deal with the US to try to win himself some votes - his last ditch effort to try to portray himself as vaguly human and not a sponsor of murder, torture and illegal detention)
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

NOTE, <b>most</b> of us here at songfight, or <b>most</b> musicians in general lean towards the lefty liberal side of things. As to say, WE didn't elect the administration thats in office now! I know *I* didn't.

AND <a href="http://www.conservativepunk.com/index.asp" target="resource window"> this disturbs me to the core. </a>
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

Hoblit wrote:AND <a href="http://www.conservativepunk.com/index.asp" target="resource window"> this disturbs me to the core. </a>
Holy Crap! I always try to tag my anti-m MP3s with the most F@#$'d up "genre" I can find...(usually opting for "Christian Rap")...but this may trump all.

(I hope it gets added as a genre in ID3 v3!)

One wonders what they mean when THEY say "Save CBGB."
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

For anyone interested in Obama, I'm being told that he will likely announce his candidacy around midday February 10th, and so will be one step closer on mkilly's long-road-to-hoe (steps 3/6 and 4/6 - halfway there :) ).
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

If I can get my car fixed and get back to Austin by Friday, I'm going to get to see Obama speak. I'm looking forward to it.
Am I rockin' hard, or hardly rockin'?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Caravan Ray wrote: Happily we are due for an election this year - and will hopefully have a new Pirme Minister soon - so one of GWB's head cheerleaders Mr John Howard (or as most Australians now like to call him, the lying, rat-faced little c*nt) should receive a well deserved trip to the septic tank of history.

(NB - watch for some sort of trial or "arrangement", and possible release of Aust. Guantanamo detainee David Hicks in the next few months. JH is holding it back as an election campaign starter, he will be looking for a deal with the US to try to win himself some votes - his last ditch effort to try to portray himself as vaguly human and not a sponsor of murder, torture and illegal detention)
Caravan Ray is right again!
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

32.5 million, oh yeah!
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote: Happily we are due for an election this year - and will hopefully have a new Pirme Minister soon - so one of GWB's head cheerleaders Mr John Howard (or as most Australians now like to call him, the lying, rat-faced little c*nt) should receive a well deserved trip to the septic tank of history.

Caravan Ray is right again!
Caravan Ray didn't realise just how right he was!

Seems the deal was with old Dick "Dick" Cheney himself:

US Vice-President Dick Cheney and Prime Minister John Howard cut a deal to release Australian inmate David Hicks from Guantanamo Bay, according to a report published in the US. The report quotes a US military officer.

"One of our staffers was present when Vice-President Cheney interfered directly to get Hicks's plea bargain deal," the unnamed officer told a contributor for Harper's magazine.

"He did it, apparently, as part of a deal cut with Howard.

"I kept thinking: this is the sort of thing that used to go on behind the Iron Curtain, not in America.

"And then it struck me how much this entire process had disintegrated into a political charade.

"It's demoralising for all of us."

It has all been so convenient. The deal was done to return Hicks to Australia 6 months out from an election - because even Howard knows that torture and illegal imprisonment don't sit well with the electorate. Hicks has been kept silent in prison ever since. He will be released from prison 3 weeks after the election.

He has been imprisoned for over 6 years. He has still had no fair trial in properly established court of law.

Some 400 men are still being illegally detained at Guantanamo Bay. And many have been tortured. They are not as 'lucky' (relatively speaking) as Hicks. Maintain your rage.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I saw Obama at Washington Square. He's full of shit, I don't trust him for a second. He panders, showboats, tells stupid stories about poor old women, and elicits many a cheer. He talks a lot about how bad Bush is, well great that's wonderful, I'm sure as president he will do a wonderful job of not liking Bush who is no longer president. On top of that, he wants to end the war in Iraq immediately... to invade Pakistan(???). The part that bothers me the most is he is an incredible speaker, he can carry away such massive groups of people to near-euphoria. What if he gets elected and he does become a part of the military-industrial complex? Well duh, of course he would. And then we'd be in an even worse spot than we are now, because we'd have this super-charismatic leader still making sure that rich fat scumfucks get hella-paid off more and more bodybags.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

WeaselSlayer wrote:The part that bothers me the most is he is an incredible speaker, he can carry away such massive groups of people to near-euphoria. What if he gets elected and he does become a part of the military-industrial complex? Well duh, of course he would. And then we'd be in an even worse spot than we are now, because we'd have this super-charismatic leader still making sure that rich fat scumfucks get hella-paid off more and more bodybags.
Hitler?

At least you guys get charismatic leaders - Stephen Harper's pretty funny, but he doesn't have any personality. Paul Martin was totally untrustworthy and a terrible speaker, and Chretien could barely open his mouth, for crying out loud! He was pretty funny to watch though.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I did not say Obama was Hitler, nor suggest that he has the capacity to be Hitler.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

It was just the suggestion that he can get masses in to near-euphoria that made the connection in my head - nothing else.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Lunkhead wrote:Call me cynical but I don't think a woman (eg Hillary Clinton) or a non-white man (eg Barack Obama) can get elected president here just yet. I think there's still too much racism and sexism in the country for that to happen, as dismal a thought as that may be. Plus I agree with the sentiment that Obama isn't experienced enough to win, at least not against some old white Republican codger.
We'll we've got the old white codger part of this scene in place, we're about to test this theory.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

geraldine ferraro is a fucking idiot.
Hi!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

mico saudad wrote:
Lunkhead wrote:Call me cynical but I don't think a woman (eg Hillary Clinton) or a non-white man (eg Barack Obama) can get elected president here just yet. I think there's still too much racism and sexism in the country for that to happen, as dismal a thought as that may be. Plus I agree with the sentiment that Obama isn't experienced enough to win, at least not against some old white Republican codger.
We'll we've got the old white codger part of this scene in place, we're about to test this theory.
I tend to agree with Lunkhead and I believe I have said so somewhere on this board. I HOPE we're wrong. Some might ask can a white woman AND a black man beat an old white republican codger.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

jack wrote:geraldine ferraro is a fucking idiot.
Having read her explanation, I'm inclined to agree. She even says that if she were not a woman, she wouldn't be where she was in '84. Guess what, Geraldine? If you weren't a racist, you wouldn't be where you are today. Shut up.

EDIT: Wait, it occurs to me that maybe you don't need to be a racist (or a sexist) to say racist (or sexist) things. You can simply be oblivious. I'll grant her this possibility.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Re: Obama 2008

Post by mico saudad »

Hard to believe we've been working for this for almost a year and a half, but finally it looks like the end of the beginning is close.

Looking back over some of the fears expressed back then I'm happy to see that he's still going strong and still trying to remind us that we need to take control of our politics because no one else is going to do it for us.

If he ends up winning, I'm going to make a youtube video of me playing air guitar to "Proud to be an American" with fireworks going off in the background.

And then it will be time to get to work. We've got a weedy garden needs tending and it'll take all of us to get it done.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

mico'll be happy today
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

yeah I've been a very happy monkey lately.
Barack's father's day speech was awesome.
It's nice to have a leader that challenges us to be better, and calls us to action.
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Wow, he wouldn't allow a muslim woman to sit behind him. Is that how campaigns are run these days?
* this is not a disclaimer
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Märk wrote:Wow, he wouldn't allow a muslim woman to sit behind him. Is that how campaigns are run these days?
I'm hearing you. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

I'm thinking it was a staff decision, not his own. But their argument for their actions will be "what about the media?". Knowing that the media would eat that up and display and twist it every which way, they made a decision that they thought would help the campaign risking that the folk in question would 'understand'. Backfired. On the other hand, they could have just let them be seen and the media could have had their frenzy.