Life on Mars

Blab about the Boob Tube.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Life on Mars

Post by Caravan Ray »

Life on Mars

Just finished watching the repeats of the first series of this. This really is a great, great show. I'm not a big fan of police shows generally - but this one was a cut above.

Hope the 2nd series starting here next week doesn't ruin it.

Did this get played over USA-way at all?
(Please don't tell me they made an American version of it...)

EDIT (after googling):
WTF?!?!?
:shock:
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
obscurity
Mean Street
Instruments: Keyboards (88-note and qwerty), guitar, bass & edrums.
Recording Method: Pod X3 Live & Yamaha 01X -> Cubase 5 & Komplete 5
Submitting as: soon as I see a title that inspires me.

Re: Life on Mars

Post by obscurity »

Caravan Ray wrote:Life on Mars

Just finished watching the repeats of the first series of this. This really is a great, great show. I'm not a big fan of police shows generally - but this one was a cut above.

The second series was great - the ending was awesome.

There's a followup series by the same folks called Ashes To Ashes due any time now. I am SO looking forward to it.
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde.
obscurity
Mean Street

Post by obscurity »

obscurity wrote:There's a followup series by the same folks called Ashes To Ashes due any time now. I am SO looking forward to it.
And it turns out any time now = tonight! Yay! Nearly missed that...
obscurity.

Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

obscurity wrote:
obscurity wrote:There's a followup series by the same folks called Ashes To Ashes due any time now. I am SO looking forward to it.
And it turns out any time now = tonight! Yay! Nearly missed that...
Did I read somewhere that that involves Gene Hunt waking up in 1984 or something?!?!

How was it? I hope they are not flogging a perfectly healthy horse to death
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Oh man ... I thought you had found this video too. But I guess not.
obscurity
Mean Street

Post by obscurity »

Caravan Ray wrote:EDIT (after googling):
WTF?!?!?
:shock:

I only just saw this. My god, can't they leave anything alone? Have they ever actually improved anything by redoing it? What a waste of time and effort!

Do they do the same thing with Aussie TV shows, Ray? Come to that, how come all we ever get over here are soaps - surely there's more to Aussie TV than that?
obscurity.

obscurity
Mean Street

Post by obscurity »

Caravan Ray wrote:Did I read somewhere that that involves Gene Hunt waking up in 1984 or something?!?!
Well, it's set in the 80s (81 to be precise), and Gene Hunt is in it, but other than that, not really :)
How was it? I hope they are not flogging a perfectly healthy horse to death
It's very 80s (so obviously the soundtrack is much better ;) ). Hard to tell from the first episode if it's gonna be awesome or not, it's just too early and too much of an adjustment from the very 70s LoM. Certainly seems to have potential tho'.
obscurity.

Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

obscurity wrote: Do they do the same thing with Aussie TV shows, Ray? Come to that, how come all we ever get over here are soaps - surely there's more to Aussie TV than that?
:lol: Heh!..no, there isn't much more to Aussie TV - soaps is about it really.

OK - that is not really true. We do satirical/topical sketch-type show very well. The Chaser is the best of these at the moment. In the past there has been the D-Generation, Fast Forward, Blah Blah Blah, The Late Show...all very good - but not very exportable as the references would generally be lost. (A bit like your Dead Ringers - which we saw over here, and though it was very funny in parts, much of it we just didn't understand).

There have also been some wonderful satirical sitcom type things - sort of half sitcom/half reality TV - such as The Games, Frontline, Grass Roots. I'm surprised some of these haven't made it to the UK - I think you guys would get them (they would be way beyond the Seppos though - and completely untranslatable for them).

We also have some good light variety/comedy-type shows like Thank God You're Here, Spics and Specs, Rockwiz. I thinks some of these concepts are already being copied elsewhere. And there have been a lot of very good drama series (Changi, Bastard Boys, Marking Time, Power Without Glory) - but they are almost always about Australian historical events - so may not export that well (to people not interested in other cultures but their own)

Australians seem to do genuine sitcoms very badly. Very very badly. We have only produced one genuinely funny one - Kath & Kim. And apparently the Seppos are making a copy of that. It sounds horrendous:

"THEIR names are Kath and Kim, but they'll speak with American accents.
They don't live in Fountain Lakes, but their plain-brick abode will sit in the urban sprawl of Phoenix, Arizona, the fastest growing city in the US.
Instead of footy, franks and Tiny Teddies, Kim scoffs down Cheetos and Reese's peanut butter cups.
Love or hate the idea, US TV network NBC is moving ahead with its plan to make an American version of Australian sitcom, Kath and Kim.
The mastermind of the plan is Hollywood agent turned super producer Ben Silverman, who has made a career, and tens of millions of dollars, by buying the rights to some of Britain's and South America's top TV programs and tailoring the shows for the US.
Silverman's American version of The Office, based on British comedian Ricky Gervais' sitcom, has become the hottest comedy on US TV, scooping Emmy, Golden Globe and Screen Actor Guild awards
"
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 22,00.html
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

obscurity wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:Life on Mars

The second series was great - the ending was awesome.

There's a followup series by the same folks called Ashes To Ashes due any time now. I am SO looking forward to it.
Saw the end of the 2nd series last week

Life On Mars is quite simply - the greatest television show ever made.

Brilliantly ambiguous ending - I loved it

The writing in that show was just superb. Such great characters. The Gene Genie is a legend.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

never heard of this show, but seeing as all these names reference Bowie songs, being a HUGE Bowie fan... I guess I'll have to look into this show...
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
obscurity
Mean Street

Post by obscurity »

Sadly Ashes To Ashes wasn't as good and lost my interest around the 5th or 6th episode.
obscurity.

Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

ujnhunter wrote:never heard of this show, but seeing as all these names reference Bowie songs, being a HUGE Bowie fan... I guess I'll have to look into this show...
Not really much to do with Bowie - but it is set in 1973, so the references are used to set it in that time. Life on Mars was used as the music over the closing credits, and other Bowie songs popped up occaisionally as incidental music.

The music in the show was a real highlight too. There appears to have been a soundtrack album released - I will have to search that out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_Ma ... ack_album)
Me$$iah
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

I just downloaded and then watched the first episode of the American remake of this.

Seriously, its not good. It just doesnt have the subtelty or finesse of he U.K. version

Also, the Brit DCI Hunt is far better than the US Cheif O'Brien.

Pontential spoiler for any that hasnt seen this before...

Tho on the plus side, the last scene has absolutly the worst use of saftey line ever. Go on Sam jump if ya like, we can all see your as safe as houses. Oh and then Annie is all wired up safely too. Good to see H+S regs being followed.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Me$$iah wrote: Seriously, its not good. It just doesnt have the subtelty or finesse of he U.K. version
:shock: Surprise surprise!!! :lol:

But seriously - I went to a car yard and bought a used car yesterday - and I don't mind saying, one of the key features that that sold me on my final choice was that it is a lovely coppery-brown colour - exactly the same colour as the car DCI Hunt drives! It has already been christened "The Gene Genie"

And in even better news - I have complained in another thread how brain-numbingly godawful kiwi television is. But it is not all bad news - this week, NZTV1 has started showing Series 2 of Life on Mars! Hooray! At least one hour of watchable television a week!