Punk Rock Drivethru (All We Could See At The Window Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Kill Me Sarah
Claude
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Re: Punk Rock Drivethru (All We Could See At The Window Reviews)

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

LMNOP - Those were very interesting and well thought-out reviews but... were any of them for mine? :lol:

Oats and Ray, thanks for the votes. This new voting method set me personal best. I know perhaps each vote is not "worth" as much, since you're not voting for your favorite. But still, it's nice to know that 13 people liked my song at all.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
LMNOP
Alpaca

Post by LMNOP »

KMS, mea culpa. I knew there was a late add but I thought I got them all. Gave yours a quick listen this morning to see which one it was and I had never heard it before. I won't pretend I've been listening to it critically for a week when I haven't, but on one go-around, I can tell it should have been on my list and is quite probably top-five material for me. Good job.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Caravan Ray wrote:
will try to get back with some actual reviews - or at least brief comments later...
In order of my personal preference:

Tick of Approval:
Sven Mullet - In the olden single vote days, this one would have been my choice. A good song, done in a manner that appeals to me. I can ask for no more.

i.p. - Excellent work. Great melodies. Love the female vox

Kill Me Sarah - Really like this one. Laid back, nice groove. Needs some sort of bass line under it though

Cobalt Stomach - I like this. Cool synth. Good vocal delivery

Give Our Regards To The Earth's Core - I wasn't happy with this when I sbmitted it. Part of the reason why I didn't enter it as Caravan Ray. But it is growing on me. I think I do like it after all. Final mix was rushed and botched - and a bass is needed badly - but I still like it

Close But No Cigar:
BlooTattue - This is pretty cool. Good chorus. I find that "hey batter" lyric thing a bit annoying - but it is that sort of thing that if you heard this on the radio, you would say 'oh...it's the 'hey batter' song - like the 'shoop shoop' song

Short Wheel City - Something about this sucked me in. Don't know what. Almost skipped through it first time through - sounded a bit dull and generic sounding - but there is a hook there that got me. Deceptively catchy.

Paco del Stinko - Workmanlike performance. Like you are going through the motions a bit. Not that your motions are not impressive - but not my favourite of yours

SomeGuyCalledNoel - Better than average guytar

Billy's Little Trip - You production has really improved. This is very impressive. Shame the singing is a bit dodgy. Also, the 90s-American-Soundgardeny sort-of sound is not really my thing

Blues Manufacturing Facility - Love the sound of this when it starts. And the vocals sond good - it's like something by Ed Keupper circa 1989. But there is just not enough song there to keep it interesting

More Effort Needed:
Osharenistas - Very nice - but not really grabbing me.

MCEricB - Nice work Eric. This is pretty well written on a sappy-country-truck-driver-crying-in-a-beer sort of way. And than is not a bad thing - it is not easy to write convincing sappy-country-truck-driver-crying-in-a-beer song. I like that you are starting to work with your limitations. You have a crappy loop to sing to - but you wrote a song to fit it well. As your loops get better - so with the songs.

Noah Mclaughlin - errr...I don't know. I think I quite like this - but I'm not sure. Pretty weird, but not at all unpleasant. Nice one.

Adam Adamant - I liked a lot of your Nur Ein stuff I have heard. The Blitz in particular. All the bleepy sonds in this are just a bit annoying though

Easy Collision - Not bad. Not really good, but definitely not bad. Tip #1 - if you are going to sing...THEN SING!!! We just seem to have a bit of half-hearted mumbling here

The Weakest Suit - sounds half done. There may be a decent song there, but needs work

The Hand Formula - Don't really understand the story. Nice melody but delivery a bit moribund

Thomas Jeffersons - MCEricB did it better.

Not Even Close:
Four Township Water Resources Council - the soapy-hand-massage-with-happy-ending sounds are a bit off-putting. Without them, I think I may like this quite a bit more. As it is, I like it quite a bit less.

The Chadderandom Abyss - No

Jon Mayor - Yep, you seem to have mastered those 3 notes. Next time, how about a song?

Lithium Institution, Marvin Fairchild - whatever....