Ongoing cover-a-bad-song challenge

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
LSK
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Reaper and a $10 microphone
Submitting as: CD the Remix

Ongoing cover-a-bad-song challenge

Post by LSK »

You know those songs that are bad not because they're overplayed, but because they're poor from a compositional standpoint? Cover one of those. And make it better, better, better, better, better, better, ah.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Re: Ongoing cover-a-bad-song challenge

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

I know it's not the same thing, but you may be interested in these links to previous topics. Not so much as 'cover a bad song' as cover a song that for some reason polled no votes! I always thought this was a good idea...

Dux
Dux Revisited!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Can we claim some sort of tax write-off for the time spent covering a song that sucks? Or does it just come under charity work? Will Obama be interested in some faith-based effort?
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Looking for a bad song to cover? I love it when ppl cover my shiznit. So go for it. :D
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

me too. i've written a lot of songs that sound bad due to my performance. if anyone is interesting in covering one of my songs, i have lyric and chord sheets for all 50 of my songfight entries. i absolutely love the idiot kings cover of my first songfight song. don't everyone pm me at once, ok?
EmbersOfAutumn
Mean Street
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Embers of Autumn

Post by EmbersOfAutumn »

I'm up for that, too... anyone who wants any of mine--but then again, they're mostly crap anyhow.
"Out of all I've learned in Life,
You always keep your friends close to your heart,
cause they'll help you if you're falling down..."
- The Ataris - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Start
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Covering a "bad" song can be one way of showing the original artist "here's what you could have done differently / better with this." When I'm covering a songfight song, I generally take a lot of liberties with the lyrics, style, arrangement, etc. I could write a review saying how I think the song could be better by starting with the chorus, swapping verses two and three and shortening the verses altogether, adding a bridge, whatever... sometimes just recording my own version of the song is a way of saying, "here, see how this works better?" When I decide to do a hxaro cover, I usually stick to artists who I know are still actively participating (on the boards, if not submitting songs).

Plus, then, I have one more song that I've recorded for my archives, even if it's not one I wrote myself. And it's good practice for me, taking a song that just didn't work at all, finding what I think is good in the song and figuring out how to, umm, polish it up.

I've also heard some interesting results when some of our less polished artists cover a really good song by somebody else. Rone covering a "good" Melvin song might not result in as good a performance as the Melvin original, but it might well result in something more listenable than a typical Rone song (not meaning to pick on Rone here). And Rone might learn some things about songwriting and performing by deconstructing and reconstructing a Melvin song.

Niveous tried his "Love Lounge" thing, and I think the reason it went nowhere is that the songs that were chosen for people to cover were all pretty tough to figure out and perform. Maybe it wouldn't be the "Love Lounge," but I'd be interested to see something where some fairly simple (but well written) songs were offered up and some of our less experienced artists took a shot at seeing what they could do with the song... that's kinda the opposite of "cover a bad song," but in terms of SF being an educational experience, it's related.

Just rambling...

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

king_arthur wrote:blah blah blah...yadda yadda...some gay intellectual crap....blah blah blah
Or you may just have fun putting a sledgehammer, blowtorch, and coat of new paint on something!

Lord knows when I covered the King of Art here I didn't learn anything, I didn't show him anything, and I (arguably) didn't make his song any better. I just had fun!

Not to really deter from anything KA said but I just wanted to point out that some of the fun of building things is to smash the Legos down and build something else out of the same pieces.

RAWK!
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I find that the act of covering a song is enough for me to learn something new. Covering 15-16 puzzle's Funny Enough For You was a HUGE learning experience for me, and definitely a big part of why I play and write the way I do today. However, through the whole experience, I wasn't trying to learn anything new ... just the fact that I was analyzing someone else's work and figuring out how they do things was enough to spark new ideas in my mind.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

king_arthur wrote: Niveous tried his "Love Lounge" thing, and I think the reason it went nowhere is that the songs that were chosen for people to cover were all pretty tough to figure out and perform.
Did it fail? I just thought it was eclipsed by the almighty Nur Ein.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Well, the only song that ever got done was the one JBB cover I did, so it seemed to me like it failed... I did that song on 3/31, and when did Nur Ein start?

Anyway, I see you've bumped the thread, I guess I'd still like to see you try some easier-to-play songs (and HM's "One Less" that I suggested is kinda tricky as well, so feel free to reselect). I recall listening to all four of the original songs and they all had some weird chords and/or rhythms that seemed kinda daunting to me...

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

king_arthur wrote:Well, the only song that ever got done was the one JBB cover I did, so it seemed to me like it failed... I did that song on 3/31, and when did Nur Ein start?
The first Nur Ein III post was in April. The game started at the beginning of May. I definitely feel that the Nur Ein eclipsed it.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

I've also heard some interesting results when some of our less polished artists cover a really good song by somebody else. Rone covering a "good" Melvin song might not result in as good a performance as the Melvin original, but it might well result in something more listenable than a typical Rone song (not meaning to pick on Rone here). And Rone might learn some things about songwriting and performing by deconstructing and reconstructing a Melvin song.
I was supposed to have covered Melvin's Brimming With Tears song like a couple of months ago.. or maybe longer heh. I never got around to starting on that. But I really should. The biggest obsticle though is the fact that I'm still a total newb on the guitar. If I use a typical Rone FL beat it won't sound anything like the original.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Doesn't have to. I refer you to the hxaro archive and my cover of Abominominous' "Dinga Da Donga," which didn't sound anything like the original.

Do it!

Charles (KA)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

king_arthur wrote:Doesn't have to. I refer you to the hxaro archive and my cover of Abominominous' "Dinga Da Donga," which didn't sound anything like the original.
...or Caravan Ray & The Jolly Croutons cover of Rone Rivendales "Don't You"

BTW: I just noticed the acrhive lists that as Caravan Ray & The Dirty Croutons. I was of course myself, the Artist Formerly Known As Jolly Roger and the Big Crouton. Maybe I was getting confused with the Dirty Hearts or the Dirty Allisons (a band name just isn't a band name unless it has 'dirty' in it). Anyway - just fot the record and for the benefit of future generations, I think it should be 'Jolly Croutons'. ....or was that 'Big Jolly Croutons'?