Got a cross to bear? (Mediocre Savior Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Got a cross to bear? (Mediocre Savior Reviews)

Post by Spud »

They're going to crucify you!
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
blue
Ice Cream Man

Re: Got a cross to bear? (Mediocre Savior Reviews)

Post by blue »

the fuzzy bunny tune was recorded on a cell phone. :wink:
Aardwolves
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Aardwolves

Post by Aardwolves »

blue wrote:the fuzzy bunny tune was recorded on a cell phone. :wink:
I was going to ask if that was the case. :lol:

There were a lot of great entries this fight! My reviews, however, aren't that great and are really just first impressions rather than anything that's actually constructive. :P

---
Andrew Reist - This song is really catchy, and if you played everything yourself, you did a great job of sounding like a full band.

Arden Fall - It's like a weird medieval/electronica combination - Neat! I wish I could the words better, though... I could hear them fine in the quieter middle bit, but that was all.

Barrmstrong - It was all right, but I got a little bored with it towards the end.

Berkeley Social Scene - Cute indie pop... reminds me of a local band called Paper Moon. Sweet.

Boltoph - This is awesome, your guitar playing is probably my favourite part. Also, this one is more intense than your last one, nice!

Caravan Ray - I rarely enjoy synth, but I thought you did a pretty good job. I like how you mixed all the different vocal parts in.

Dick Van Lesbian - Ear hurty. Not my sort of thing, but not bad for what you were trying to do with it.

Flvxxvm Florvm - You're better at this style than DVL. :P I like the organ intro.

Frosty the Snowman and MC Squared - You kids are pretty okay. :) Your lyrics are excellent.

Fuzzy Bunny Saviors - What did you record this on?

The Hand Formula - Mouth harp? Pretty similar to your last one, but I still like you. Sounds like it could be an album closer.

Hello, California - Out of tune-y... purposely, though?

i.p. - Love the energy in your voice! This song is awesome. Make an album already!!

Jonathan Mann - Westerny goodness. I love everything about this. The vocal harmonies, the chains/shakers in the background, the lyrics... My favourite song this fight! :D

Minty Handy - Tom Waits-esque. Is that an upright bass? The percussion is good, too. Short and sassy.

Neon Tigers - I like this one better than your other one. :) The synths are a throwback to the eighties! They're so quirky as to make this song really fun to listen to, though. You're versatile.

Noah McLaughlin - Pretty all right.

Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers - The ocean sound effect was pretty cool. Something about this sounds kind of retro. I liked this quite a bit. Ending and starting it with the same sound effect was a nice touch.

Roger, Roll - You a talented musician and singer. This was nice, and the only jazzy one this fight.

Some Guy Called Noel - You are also pretty talented, and the only guy+guitar entry this fight. You remind me of Elliott Smith, but I like your singing better. Also, the way it built up in intensity near the end was cool.

Stu Jordan - I guess RR wasn't the only jazzy entry after all. Kind of long.

The Weakest Suit - I really like you. :) This song didn't disappoint. Your lyrics are great. Also, it's a great song to end this playlist.
---

In conclusion, I'm kind of glad I didn't enter because you guys would have kicked my ass. :lol: (Even if it was about zombies.)
binary solo!
rogerroll
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by rogerroll »

=== VOTES ===

Frosty The Showman and MC Squared
+++ Samplez +++
+++ Flow +++
/// Outro could be better, I feel. ///

=== ALMOSTS ===

Arden Fall
/// Wish I could hear the vocals a little better. ---
/// Reminds me a little of something you'd hear in a Wes Anderson film. ///
--- Weird scratching/beat thing is distracting. ---

Berkeley Social Scene
+++ Great Performance +++
+++ Great Arrangement +++
/// Berkeley Social Scene. ...Oh, I see what you did there. ///
--- Melody did not catch me. ---
--- Progression threw me off in a bad way. ---

Boltoph
+++ Great bass sound, production overall. +++
/// Lyrics were a little beyond me. ///
--- Melody did not catch me. ---

Dick Van Lesbian
+++ Metal Solo +++
+++ Vocal Performance +++
/// Genre Bias ///
--- The hi-hat kind of wanders from left right. What's with that? ---
--- Obvious drop-d wankery. ---
--- Vocal Performance ---

i.p.
+++ I like how you use that Snoop Dogg monophonic keyboard thing. +++
/// Little bit of Karma Police in there. ///

Jonathan Mann
+++ Good old fashioned J. Mann +++
--- Nothing more than that, though... ---

SomeGuyCalledNoel
+++ Progression, performance as usual +++
/// That kind of picked up out of nowhere ///
/// That weird preverb thing came out of nowhere too ///

Stu Jordan
+++ Interesting aesthetic +++
/// Vocal Performance ///

=== SEE ME AFTER CLASS ===

Barrmstrong
--- Very repetitive ---
--- Vocal melody and chord progression are virtually the exact same thing. ---

Caravan Ray
/// Electronic... ///
--- Kind of repetitive. Kind of annoying. ---

Flvxxvm Florvm
/// Genre Bias ///
--- Schooled on the solo front by DVL ---
--- Vocal Performance ---

Funny Bunny Saviors
+++ Meow +++

The Hand Formula
+++ "A mediocre savior is close enough to God" +++
/// What's with all of this "Penny Lane?" ///

Hello, California
--- Progression ---
--- Vocal Melody, Performance ---

Minty Handy
/// Tom Waits ///

Neon Tigers
--- Wanted more from vocal delivery. ---

Noah McLaughlin
--- Melody ---

Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers
/// Wandering... ///

Andrew Reist
--- Boring Rhythm ---
--- Guitar was a bit overpowering. ---

The Weakest Suit
/// Mediocre ///

=== NOTES ===

I feel like this fight wasn't as good as the others I've been apart of (my entry included). Possibly, I think it may have something to do with people trying to awkwardly throw in Jesus references. Or just writing outside of our comfort zones? I don't know. I just wasn't feeling it. Am I alone on this?
phetal
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Laptop (Reason 4), Keys, Vocals!, Immmmmmaaaagination!
Recording Method: Into Microphones, via MIDI, or Cave Drawings
Submitting as: i.p. / Who Fly

Post by phetal »

rogerroll wrote: i.p.
/// Little bit of Karma Police in there. ///
OHHHHHH MY GOD. That's what it was.
Shit! Thanks for realizing that for me!
----------------------------------------------
- The Phobias - i.p. - Who Fly - Phetal -
----------------------------------------------
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Roger Roll:
--- Progression threw me off in a bad way. ---
Roger, I have full responsibility for the progression. I'm actually quite fond of the progression, but you're not alone in being thrown off by it. I think the other members of the band felt the same. To their credit they stuck with it for me, and I'm glad they allowed me to submit it.

The progression should make you feel uneasy, it's by design: 1st Verse & Chorus: E major, 2nd V&C :Lydian, 3rd V & C (actually the guitar solos): Mixolydian, last V & C : Phrygian.

So you see I wanted the listener to go from solid ground, to being lost, to misguided confidence (2 guitar solos), and finally sadness.

Anyway, thanks for the review. It is just.

BTW thanks to the cast of the Berkeley Social Scene (btw the joke name was my fault too, it's just apt)

cast:

Ken : drums, keys, production
Erin : Awesome vocals, lyrics
glennny : guitars, bass, overly complicated arrangement
Lunkhead: intimidation, backing vocals
martyr: nothing, not a damn thing
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Aardwolves wrote:Andrew Reist - This song is really catchy, and if you played everything yourself, you did a great job of sounding like a full band.
Thanks, and yeah ... it's all me. :)
rogerroll wrote:Andrew Reist
--- Boring Rhythm ---
--- Guitar was a bit overpowering. ---
Just for curiosity's sake ... When you say boring rhythm, do you mean the drums? And yeah, I was struggling to get the guitar at the proper level. It seems that when you mix that soon after writing and recording, it always comes out badly. :roll:
rogerroll
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by rogerroll »

Reïst wrote:When you say boring rhythm, do you mean the drums? And yeah, I was struggling to get the guitar at the proper level. It seems that when you mix that soon after writing and recording, it always comes out badly. :roll:
Sorry, I should've clarified. I mean the rhythm for the guitar riff you're playing was pretty boring. I feel like if you gave it something a little extra. A little different, the song would've been a lot more enjoyable.

How did you record the guitar?
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

rogerroll wrote:How did you record the guitar?
Apex dynamic micing a Traynor Amp. I definitely see what you're saying about the guitar, but I thought about it before recording, and I felt that this rhythm was all the song needed. I'll absolutely keep this comment in mind for future songs though. :)
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

Courses start on Monday, so in the spirit of the coming semester, everybody gets a grade: A-F American scale.

some guy called noel - B+
+++ guitar riff +++
+++ lyrics +++
--- too much double-tracked vox ---
--- meandering outro ---

stu jordan - F
--- vox ---
--- nothing drives this or grabs my attention to keep me listening... ---
--- no prosody ---

Minty Handy - F
/// a poor man's Nick Cave ///
--- does not start out strong with the mangled "Mediocre Savior" ---
--- doesn't really go anywhere ---

Berkley Social Scene - A- [vote]
+++ vox +++
+++ jangling groove +++
/// reminds me of To The Moon Alice ///
--- move that solo guitar up front ---

noah mclaughlin - B
/// my shortest entry ever. i hate to say that i ran out of ideas, but there's was nothing more coming lyrically or musically so i decided to keep it simple rather than force something ///
--- not nearly as engaging or fun as it sounded last week; in fact, it sounds slower... ---
+++ still like the references to apocrypha and Voltaire +++

Hello, California - B-
+++ groove +++
+++ vox treatment +++
--- out of tune guit mad worse by gratuitous solo ---

Hand Formula - D
--- fuzz ---
+++ "a mediocre savior is close enough to god" +++
--- bored now ---

Andrew Reist - B
/// the guit is more pulse than hook; go for the latter ///
+++ guit tone +++
/// this needs a lead guitar part to fill things out ///
+++ good singing +++

Barmstrong - C
+++ pretty guitar tone... +++
--- gets monotonous ---
/// something this simple musically needs to be carried by a better melody or cleverer lyrics ///

Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers - C+
/// sound effect is a cool idea, but it's too loud ///
--- singing ---
--- uneven percussion ---
+++ a good soundscape +++
+++ good take on the title ++++

Dick van Lesbian - F
/// wow, loud ///
--- vox ---
/// Embers of Autumn's lyrics had a very interesting story to tell, even if they needed a little tweaking for prosody. ///
--- This take on them is atrocious ---
--- derivative ---

Roger, Roll - B
+++ pretty +++
--- the drums are waaaaaaaaay far away ---
/// and that piano/keyboard is nice; bring it up in the mix ///

Caravan Ray - B-
+++ build +++
--- no pay off, though ---
+++ wit +++

Boltoph - A [vote]
+++ great riff +++
+++ atmosphere +++
+++ "trippin' on a headstone" +++

i.p. - A-
+++ build AND payoff, nice +++
/// the rest between the first chorus and second verse doesn't need to be there ///
/// is than an un-solo? ///

Johnathan Mann - A [vote]
+++ someone brought the Leonard Cohen, excellent +++
+++ atmosphere +++
+++ dynamics +++

The Weakest Suit - D
--- boring music ---
+++ witty lyrics +++

Frosty the Showman & MC Squared - A [vote]
+++ nice sampling +++
+++ mad flow skillz +++
+++ i like me some satire +++

Arden Fell - C
/// this mishmash is kind of a mess: there's a charming little tune buried in here ///

Neon Tigers - B
--- distracting double vox ---
/// I feel like I should be watching The Breakfast Club ///

Flvxxvm Florvm - F
--- yelling ---
--- riff ---
--- not even derivative, just sloppy ---

Fuzzy Bunny Saviors - Auditing
+++ chorus +++
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Arden Fall- Very Lo-Fi. Very Irish folky. Sounds like it was recorded in secret without anyone knowing. Melodies are sweet and all too familiar. All of instruments have serious issues, but you know that with the lo-fi and all. I enjoy it most when the multiple voices come in.

Barmstrong- I never like the pick ups on acoustic guitars. I use them for live situations, but I don’t like them for recordings. This song is very repetitive. Nice voice. Is there a story? I guess I should be paying attention to the lyrics, because the music is not very interesting.

Boltoph- Huge! Drums, guitars, and vocals sound fantastic! Great production! I think it really needs more of a hook. Aw yes, the guitar solo, sweet but WAY TOO SHORT! I love the little acoustic licks. Great album track, I just don’t think it’s the single. Deserves a vote!

An drewReist- Yeah, I agree the guitar is too loud and not interesting enough. The LCD jud jud jud jud jud jud jud jud jud that comes after the “… you know he’s not a lot like you” at 1:00 really works well. Vocals are great, the vocal melody is pretty catchy. It would be alright with me if you stopped with your “yeahs”, but that’s no big deal. Nice solo, that rhythm guitar is drowning it however. Cool song, please rethink the rhythm guitar track.

Caravan Ray- Awwwww yeah! Here we go! The echo reverb thing is a bit much. This is very dancy and groovy. I love the “doot doots”. The vocals are a little repetitive, but it suits the genre. Good song!

Dick Van Lesbian- Son of Paco Del Stinko? Where is Paco this week? This rocks. This is ridiculous. That vibrato that ended the solo was wicked! Even though it’s kick ass metal it could use more of a hook. 2nd guitar solo! Take us out! VERY enjoyable!

Flvvxm Florvm- Punk metal. More guitar solos! Less punk vocals! Fun for a listen, but I won’t be having many repeated listens. Nice soloing!

Frosty the Snowman and MC Squared- I’m bored. Very very very bored. Well done for the genre I suppose, not a crossover hit.

The Hand Formula- Nice hiss. Plink plink whisper whisper. WHAT? Hissssssss. Buzzzzzzzz Bleh.

Funny Bunny Saviors- “I’m on my way!” insert catchy pop rock cliché’ and sing over a phone. The result is very cute and fun. Couple of these other tracks could use such a hook. Nice and short. I’m glad this was in the fight.

Hello, California- Nice groove. A little meandering. It’s a cool vibe. Nice verse riff, desperately needing a strong chorus. I guess it’s just a vamp with some very cool tones, but no direction. Yeah great verse, terrible chorus, is there a chorus?

Intellectual Property- This is just great! Love the vocals. That hugeness and silence works very well! Very cool original sounds. Good guitar solo! This gets a vote.

Jonathon Mann- Despite being a f*&#@king 12-bar, this is entertaining. The instrumentation and loose percussion keeps this fun. I won’t be having repeated listens to this, but I like it now. Nice vocals.

Minty Handy- Is that really you? Where’s the Uke? Tom Waits impression? I dig it, I question the Minty Handiness of it. Nice bass!

Neon Tigers- The 80’s were the worst era for music bar none, in my opinion. (except for the Smiths). Basking in the awful keyboard sounds and cheesy beat, this is an OK 80’s New Wave schlocky song unit. There’s a decent song beneath the icky packaging, but aesthetically I don’t like it.

Noah McLaughlin- Nice slide guitar! What a weird groove. I just love that Cow Bell. I’m having a hard time getting into this, I can’t tell you why. Maybe the beat is too static and becomes a little grating. Instruments sound great. It’s short, not particularly sweet, but has a cool vibe.

Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers- Sound effects. File under magnetic Fields school of Song Fight. I think the sparse drumming is a great touch! The acoustic guitar has a very cool line. The low vocals are nice! I like this a lot. This is a keeper, though not quite a vote getter.

Roger, Roll- I watched your Mockumentary, because I knew a guy in Salt Lake named Roger Roll. I thought maybe he moved to Denver and is now Song Fighting. Not so. Anyway. Great freaking track! Drums sound wonderful, squeaky guitar string sliding is delicious. The piano is very well played, I actually wish it was a little louder. Great melody! Excellent singing! Great chords! Weak ending. This gets a vote.

Some Guy Called Noel- Very cool, one of the better G and G I’ve heard. The “…you know” hook is excellent! The guitar sounds great, and is well played. The bridge is OK , but not as strong as the rest of the song. I think it would be stronger just ending before the bridge. Anyway, well done!

Stu Jordan- Annoying drum machine, I dig the bass line. The title feels very forced. The lyrics are terrible. Singing is pretty good. I can’t take it for much longer. I’m not going to make it . The drum machine is killing me.

The Weakest Suit- This sounds like an intro that never kicks in the jams. The mediocre singing affectation is a nice touch for the title. This is OK , doesn’t really grab me.

Berkeley Social Scene- My project this week. This was my baby. I wanted to further explore the different moods that different modes emote. I’m playing bass and guitar. I really enjoy the bass line, and the 2nd guitar solo. Ken is on drums and keys. The keys and beat give a real 60’s vibe. Erin is on vocals. Her vocals are just gorgeous. The rest of the band is just OK with this song. I suppose I’m not objective, but I love it.

So the Belles of the Ball are IP, Boltoph, and Roger Roll, (I got to vote for us too)
Last edited by glennny on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
rogerroll
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by rogerroll »

glennny wrote:...I knew a guy in Salt Lake named Roger Roll. I thought maybe he moved to Denver and is now Song Fighting. Not so....
We have a friend here who works the box office for a local venue. Someone picked up will-call tickets with the name Roger Roll. We were just pissed that he never came to any of our shows. Thanks for the comments.
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

As per company policy, when I don’t fight, I try to write reviews. Here we go:

Andy: Like it a lot. Great guitars and drums. I love your “yeahs”... these vocals have the same quality that I liked in your Kick Start from NE3. Really catchy chorus, especially on the word "savior". Your progress as a writer/performer continues to amaze me! Also, I can really hear the influence of listening to Weezer lately. Don’t be afraid to run with it for the next 10 years. Vote.

Arden: This has an endearing quality. Layered vocals really add a new emotional dimension… and then it’s all over. Well done.

Barmstrong: Really great voice with a slight quiver that kind of recalls Gord Downie for me (probably because I’m Canadian). Unfortunately, the tune is quite boring. By around 1:50, I was really hankering for a new melodic idea to come along.

BSS: I attempted to be part of this song, but could not for the life of me figure out how to sing backups over this chord progression from outer space. However, Erin’s “what about the moon?” vocal hook has been dancing through my head for the last several days. What a beautiful performance! I also like the trashy production sound and the lead guitar stuff, especially the solo starting around 2:00. Credit to Glen: his tablature looks like the Periodic Table, but he knows how to create some really tense and, dare I say, disturbing harmonic tension. I’d like to take a guitar clinic with him some day! Vote.

Boltoph: Impeccable production, as usual. Honestly, I don’t like the song as much as I admire the performance and the recording. But I tip my hat to this finely-crafted piece of work.

CR: I really don’t like this. It’s smart and kind of funny, but musically kind of… awful.

CockDike: I enjoy ridiculously heavy guitar music, but the scratchy and not-very-tuneful vocals are a big turn off for me. I wish I knew how to play a guitar solo like this, though.

Flx: See above, except for the part about the guitar solo.

Frosty: I’m in the midst of a personal hip hop renaissance right now, so this is well-timed from my perspective. This is excellent! Needs a little mixing help, but the lyrics and flow are fantastic. I love this Tribe/De La vibe. PM me if you wouldn’t mind me remixing this track as an experiment for both of us. Vote.

Fuzzy: Pretty darn cute.

Le Hand: Perk up, kid.

Hello: Nice tones and overall vibe, but this doesn’t seem to go anywhere.

IP: Outstanding vocals, and a really interesting sound overall. Not much else to say, which is a compliment. It all works and makes me want to listen again. Vote.

Mann: Musically, this is a cliché, but the performance and recording are good, and the lyrics are amusing.

Minty: Weirdly, this sounds like the next act of the evening after J. Mann. Likewise, it’s pretty well done, even though it sounds like a gag of some kind.

Neon: I like what you’re going for, but this lacks the seriously hooky chorus that retro night 30-somethings need in order to get drunk and sing along.

Noah: This isn’t for me, but it seems to have the elements of a song I’d like (i.e. some hooks in the guitar and a discernible chorus).

Plain Songs: This is pretty cool. Nice mood to it, cool vocal melody, nice little hook. Well done.

Roger: Love the “band in a room” atmosphere right off the top. This is the type of music where a lot of room sound is a cool production choice rather than a recording flaw. Great vocals! Oh damn, this is really outstanding! Fantastic writing and playing all around. Easily best of the fight so far. Vote.

Noel: You’ve been entering really great music these last few weeks. Awesome guitar playing and singing, and more great lyrics. Although when I hear your tunes, I find myself pining to hear more instruments join in. What you’re doing is great, it’s just… I think it could go even further. Vote.

Stu: I really like your voice, but there are some, uh, “soulful” vocal and lyrical choices that are either (a) painfully goofy, or (b) pulled off in an ironic indie-hipster manner that I am going to enjoy laughing along with after another listen or two. Either way, I like your style.

Weakest Suit: You really likes the reverb, eh? I enjoy the melody here. Sounds like a modern-day hymn of some sort. Or maybe a stadium sing-along. It’s cool, but probably just shy of vote-worthy in a Bell Curve kind of way.

Some great stuff in this fight! Votes to: Andy, BSS, Frosty, IP, Roger, and Noel.
hi!
stelloscuro
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, Banjo
Submitting as: Stelloscuro, Short Wheel City, Barrmstrong

Post by stelloscuro »

glennny wrote: Barmstrong- I never like the pick ups on acoustic guitars. I use them for live situations, but I don’t like them for recordings. This song is very repetitive. Nice voice. Is there a story? I guess I should be paying attention to the lyrics, because the music is not very interesting.
Thanks for the feedback. I tried to keep the tune as simple and as 'bare bones' as possible, but I agree it turned out not to be very interesting. I'm afraid the guitar was recorded on a Rode NT1 mic through an M Audio mic amp, just turned out to sound like a pickup, doh!. I personally didn't write the lyrics so there is no story with me. As with alot of the reviews of this song I will try and make it more interesting next time!
PlainSongs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Plain Songs for Doves & Tigers, Nu igen!

Post by PlainSongs »

Click for reviews:

On my tune:
nyjm wrote:--- singing ---
--- uneven percussion ---
glennny wrote:I think the sparse drumming is a great touch! ... The low vocals are nice!
I suppose for the drums you're both right. I went with less-is-more but there's some odd hits. Wonder how more-is-more would have worked out.
The vocals - seem to be a bit love or hate, judging from previous fights as well :?

Cheers all for reviewing!
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

Well, I guess I've learned my lesson about trying to create something outside of my personal box. Back to the uke-pop factory floor for me, and never shall I stray again (at least under what appears to have become the Minty Handy(tm) brand name, which I appear to have sullied with this entry; luckily, I've got other pseudonyms, so nyah.)

and yes, that was actually me. and the uke was the gently plucked string instrument
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Well, I had a song for this fight but decided against entering it because of a few minor timing / performance issues. I listened to it again today and decided I quite like it as a demo.

Sooooo if anyone wants to hear Johnny Cashpoint's very own 'Life of Brian' Mediocre Saviour (note 'correct' spelling :) ) then here you are http://www.johnnycashpoint.com/songs/jo ... int_ms.mp3

In return for everyone's time, i will endeavour to bash out reviews at some point today or tomorrow ....

j$
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

Dinner and a few drinks in . . .

Andrew Reist
The guitars right in the beginning could use pick-me-up like just the second time, a 1/8 or 1/16th note in there. Love that change into the chorus esp the second time. Yeah is well placed. I love that chorus, even the little double kick drum embellishment just on one time. I like the guitars this loud but that's just me. Might eq some 800hz out though. Great movement into hooky chorus. Right on man. Nice start to the fight.

Arden Fall
That's a funky rhythm instrument, the shuffling thing. I dig it. I like that idea of one singular weird techno-ish instrument mixed in with a steady mellow acoustic and vocal, nice keys on top of that. It reminds me of a church song more than I'd like, I grew up with a bit of forced catholic exposure so always feel tongue-in-cheek about religious music. But the melody of it is kinda hooky and I've got that guitar + organ in my head by the end.

B Armstrong
Thought this was Jerry Garcia at first, but just alittle lower on the voice here. I've got a bit of a dirty mind and there'r a few things in here I smiled at. It's a little repetitive, melodywise. I like the lyrics.

Berkeley Social Scene
Cool intro, and almost sounds like Day Tripper when it breaks in. This is pretty hot. Nice thick instruments left n right, smooth vocals. Retro organ. I'd almost rather hear it techno-ish but not sure. Just a thought. Sounds really like hippie flowers but this is fuckin fantastic. One weird change around 1:18, minor there. Kinda breaks it up in a weird way. This is my winner so far.

Boltoph
I guess it's probably about being a reformed perfectionist. But it's not really supposed to necessarily make sense i guess. I imagine some sort of soul that reminds me of pieces of other people's souls i have known in my life including my own. And then come up with an idea of a character with that soul or something, and things happening. The lyric would just be an illustration around the events or whatever else was going on. Just general remarks or phrases that occur. It not intentional or desired, just pieces of ideas.

Caravan Ray
That was a hypnotizing bass line left n right. I liked that. Drinks plus a night of that = the spins. It's a hook, but I'm a little worried about just how you plan on setting those little children free. Sounds a little like maybe I'd find you on the Australian sex offenders list maybe? You love it. I like the clips around 2:09, "to educate them...alot of people don't know this...." Catchy line again. A contender. Doors-ish but with a tenor.

Dick Van Lesbian
Whiplash!!!!!!!!!! You guys fuckin copped the intro off of Metallica Kill 'Em All. And I love Metallica Kill 'Em All through And Justice for All. But it gets nasty on the vocals in the second verse. That's some fun shit. I wish I were there jamming the guitars with FIVE TIMES MORE DISTORTION. A little nasty solo action is welcome...nice.

- the next day, after dinner and a few drinks, again... -

Flvxxm Florvm
I like how heavy the song is, when the guitar enters after the organ, a couple of of the lead bits, i like, but the vocals are painful, can't hear them to even appreciate them. They're sort of like a butcher knife right up the middle of the song. Some crazy imagery there at least.

Frosty and crew
Good lyrical theme. I like it especially around the lucky number part. And the subtle flavor rhyme. The whole backbeat could kick alot harder, basically just be louder and with some limiting or compression. Low cut on the vocals....etc. Subtle flavors.

Fuzzy Bunny Saviors
It's pretty fuzzy and very bunny. I like the effort and the tone of the answering machine / low cut style. Nice work. Very fuzzy, bunny voices. Warm, fun, simple and genuine.

The Hand Formula
I try not to be scathing but this is a bit drab. Others will say the same thing about my own song (including me) but this is a bit dull. A couple lines are good but your just not getting into it or something, and the chord choice, the picking choice could be way better, with an emotional vocal. then again, it's mediocre savior, it's supposed to be mediocre. I definitely hear that theme.

Hello, California
I thought it had great punk potential until that instrumental just kept repeating and repeating. Got good around 2:20 again. Down hard desert blues. I like the vocals near the end, "favor" etc.

i.p.
Nice, nice intro. It's really solid so far at a minute in except the guitar on the right could use a little delay and eq treatment or a different choice of melody parts during that first verse. Cool changes in the chorus. I wanted to hear the blast 1:10 continue and just keep layering up to a massive wall of sound. The tease again at 2:15. This song better build up full blast...or does it not, because the theme is medicore, like The Hand...

Jonathan Mann
I got into it around "paint pictures...film". Good story here. Vocal harmonies start in nice around 1:30. Would've rather heard "i'll be your savior and I'll over-save ya" or something weird like that or variation of that instead of just the "savi-avi-avi-avior". I like the imagery about Tammy teaching about jack n' jill. It's a cool ratty, dirty vibe with the banjo, distorted guitar, harmonica.

Minty Handy
I like the acoustic bass and rhythm. My main gripe is that it started right on that title line, I'd rather hear the title line in the second vs., like a verse swap. I like the funky dirty vibe and suggestion of a cringing evil character. The character illustration, that's what I like about it the most.

Neon Tigers
Weird vocals, started like a story but felt like it drifted around "drink your blood". Water into mud is an interesting idea. The savior doing the opposite. 80s style was done well on the instruments i have to say.

Noah McLaughlin
The weird deep bass and slide guitar pulled me in. I've got a wild west vibe on this and it picks up around :25...wow that was pretty damn cool. Good choices for vocal flange effects. Dog bark is great, everything is pretty crazy and I like it. The vocal chaos... cool ending.

Plain Songs
You could have a Dire Straits thing going on. Get a strat in there doing some tasty lead bits. Since that's not possible, I like the "sea...where i want to be". Weird chorusy-sounding acoustic guitar at times, weird echoes, sea effects at the end, nice additions.

Roger, Roll
Nice vocal and choices of jazz chords to inspire a feeling and an emotional vibe of the music capable of getting in under the skin. I was nervous it wouldn't go anywhere. I like the vintage style mix when the drums come in. could've used a solo instrument, stronger than the piano. A rhodes or thick clean lead guitar tone. This could've so easily just been turned into a minor metal song neawr the end.

Some guy called Noel
This song has a vibe. Gets me going on the vodka over women part. I'd mix the vocal double much quieter so it just thickens and isn't as obvious. Novocain! Nice. This is definitely a cool story about a guy that o.d.'s ... on medicore saviors. And it reminds me of Blind Melon on from 3:00 to the end. Nice theme, structure.

Stu Jordan
The smoltz is a little overboard, vocal is rough. It's a smoltzy idea. It almost gets going at parts. The loungy idea could be played on a freaky cruise ship. Or jabba the hut's cruiser.

The Weakest Suit
I liked those changes at "five times a day" and the entry of the piano on the quarter notes. It's got the triumphant wail of a storytelling guy. Good clean ending, weird story and character development.

j$
I think the spelling is wrong on the title? (it's an American website at the moment). I don't know how you got into the fight, it's a sham goddamnit. :-|
I like the steady piano rhythm, the change in rhythm at the chorus. I'm missing a fat j$ bass. I could skip the Jesus reference but I'm imaging a "sub-Jesus" character here for an antagonistic anti-hero.

There was some character development in this fight which would be the nature of the title. I like that theme and imagery. In the end I really dig Noah's wild west stuff and i.p., the Berkeley Social Scene, Andrew Reist. Roger Roll, Caravan Ray, even Minty Handy all had a cool imagery of a character. Those would be my votes but I'm missing something so I'll check it out more and vote a little later probably.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by The Weakest Suit »

thanks for the reviews, and for not bashing my obama bashing song too badly. i'm about 20 songs into the 50/90 challenge, and my last three songfight songs have been the only ones that have not been live take demos. it's pretty hard to write a new song almost every day, and i'm a bit behind at the half way point, but i have a plan to get on track and have 50 new songs by october 1 that didn't exist before july 4.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Is Hello California a mashup of sonofsupercar and the Booty Chesterfield trio? It sounds like the two singers from those bands both on this track, but I could be mistaken.
booty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by booty »

Lunkhead wrote:Is Hello California a mashup of sonofsupercar and the Booty Chesterfield trio? It sounds like the two singers from those bands both on this track, but I could be mistaken.
You are correct, sir. Dennis stopped by the Studio and this was the end result. And I agree with a lot of the reviews (thank you) that a hook would really do this song good. Either way it was fun to make and expect more.

BTW, the name should be pronounced the way that Klaus Meine screams it at the beginning of the Scorpions double live album "World Wide Live". A personal favorite of mine.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Klaus Meine is a god.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.