Help Save Somesongs!

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Re: Help Save Somesongs!

Post by frankie big face »

Lunkhead wrote:Do you think that having a new admin or admins would help the site? It seems like Jefff doesn't have much time to maintain the site these days. I'm not complaining, just making an observation, and wondering if that's a factor in the site's decline. Also, do you think some new development on the site's code (bug fixes, new features, etc.) would help bring some life/interest back to it? Again, Jefff doesn't seem to have much time for that either and has expressed some reluctance about opening up the source code so that others could work on it. I'm not complaining about that either, just making more observations. Obviously it's Jefff's site and code and he has every right to do whatever he wants with it. Anyway, if people think those things are factors, I have a proposal.
The last time I saw Jeff (Atlanta, last year), he told me somesongs was dying due to 'admin indifference' (he may not have used these exact words) and he was okay with that. I know his job is different and he has less free time to work on the site. He may not even like the model anymore. I personally like the site (even if I haven't been the most active participant lately) and I still look at it daily. I don't think there's anything wrong with presenting your proposal to Jeff. The worst he could say is no.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

I like mostly everything about the site -- the voting system, the appearance, etc.

If Jefff is unavailable for comment or will not turn over his original coding, could somebody more resourceful than myself try to replicate it or create something similar?

Maybe call it "meantime"?
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jefff »

Anybody interested in taking over as Somesongs admin, shoot me an email at jefffal@gmail.com

I'm willing to hand over control of the site to someone I trust (and trust can handle it). I would probably retain ultimate veto power, but I'm open to someone who would want to make major changes to the site. I'm also willing to continue to foot the (small) bill for the hosting. The qualified person will know PHP and mySQL.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm interested in getting involved. I sent you an e-mail.