où sont les revues ? (les anchois reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

où sont les revues ? (les anchois reviews)

Post by jack »

how bout that johnny in the corner chap? ;)
Hi!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: où sont les revues ? (les anchois reviews)

Post by j$ »

jack shite wrote:how bout that johnny in the corner chap? ;)
I've heard the lead singer is a gayer ....

Reviews. IMO. Written as I listen.

Hostess Mostess - This really reminds me of Scritti Politti and Prince as well. I like the reggae tones of this. That swell is a little loud. Very good. The bass could do with standing up in the mix a little to make it a bit more disco. A few of the keybaord noises are too loud - it's a little distracting. The break down isn't so appealing. Maybe more than one track fo backing vocal? It sounds a little random. A second voice might tell the stupid listener like me that this is how it's meant to sound. A key change at the Na Na Nas would be cool but other than that, very good start.

Charcoal - Ha. It would be great to hear Marc Almond in his Jacques Brel moments singing this, but it's fun. I would play the delivery straighter - I like the guitar but it's clipping slightly (?). Needs a kid's choir in the background at 1.30 ish. A joke, but a good one for a single listen.

Red Sky Hawk - Good production, I guess. The vocal delivery is spot-on - somewhere between Johnny Halliday and Claude Francois. The cheesy Level 42 backing track is doing less for me. What is it with almost-slap funk bass that makes my skin itch? I like it though, but my French isn't good enough to make me listen again (though I sense a certain wackiness to the lyric. *red mist descends* :) ) The production is good, but perhaps a little too clean?

Pipe Fist - Oh now we are on the Soundtrack to 'The Breakfast Club' - This fight is trapped in GTA:Vice City and I can't get a ticket out. Ah well, there are worse fates/fetes. Vocals could be a tad higher. They're fine as they are, it's just at the moment, my natural inclination is to listen to the louder things (acoustic guitar, relentless keyboard riff) as a priority, and I'm not sure they're strong in themselves to carry that. Pretty, mind. Someone smells like anchovies, I got that much. :)

Wreckdom - Wreckdom do Acapella? The vocals have always been the weakest link in the Wreckdom sound for me so this was never gonna get my juices flowing. That'll teach me for accusing you of selling out last week.

Destete - Nice bass synth riff. I like the 'learn french' samples too. There's not much more to it than that, I guess. Good for what it is. You make the point and get out, so bonus points.

Caravan Ray - That's lovely guitar tone / playing. maybe a little more reverb on the lead. it sounds 'played' at the moment rather than an organic part of the song. The hiss though not distracting from the song is a little too present. I would turn up the vocals and wack up the reverb until it sounded churchy. Yeah this is nice. I wonder if you could combine this with Charcoal's and make one kick-ass killer song? Hmmm. I was hoping more of the songs would be in this catagory. love the aahs at the end.

Johnny in the Corner - is me. Thanks as always for JS for taking the bare bones of a song and complimenting it so well, bringing out all the things that I want but lack the ability to do. The mandolin was a master stroke. Also thanks to Andy Balham for adding some great fretwank in one of those fancy scales that I can't pronounce, let alone play. I am very pleased with this way this turned out. Do Americans use the phrase 'False Friend' when learning languages, or is that another UK-ism that is goona leave you all cold? i seem to remember you call 'cryptic crosswords' something else, as well. Oh well.

Good stuff. Hostess Mostess should get my vote, perhaps, but it's going to Caravan Ray, despite the recording issues. Just a really sweet little tune.

j$
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: où sont les revues ? (les anchois reviews)

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote: Caravan Ray - ... maybe a little more reverb on the lead. it sounds 'played' at the moment rather than an organic part of the song.
j$
Thanks for the vote :D
I agree about the lead guitar - I'd like to ditch it completely and replace it with an accordian - but I don't have an accordian. nor could I play one.

BTW. you mentioned Jacques Brel above - his Amsterdam, with all of its sailor/whore stuff in it was a major inspiration for this song (so much so he has become my avatar for this week)

Reviews to come tonight...
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Hostess Mostess – I like the nice sparse production – and excellent vocals, except for that swirly effect around 2:00 – don’t like that. Pretty good – but maybe just a bit to funky for this rhythm-less suburban white-boy.

Charcoal – This is really silly – but I like it. Like the vocals – it reminds me of the bit in Monty Python’s Meaning of Life where the 2 strange people are trying to find the fish – …fish, fish, fishy fish – it went wherever I go…

Red Sky Hawk – I think your French vocals are going to make mine sound silly by comparison. This isn’t a style of music I really like to listen to – but I really enjoyed this. Unlike J$ above – I like the slap bass – but its that synth sound that is making my skin itch Good job though, good song.

Pipe Fist - I like your voice – good vocals, albeit slightly drowned out here. I don’t like the song much though, sorry.

Wreckdom – You always walk a fine line between brilliant and annoying. Unfortunately this one is well and truly on the ‘annoying’ side of the balance sheet. I don’t like.

Destete – A B C D Anchovies? Pretty cool for eurotrash disco – I like it

Johnny in the Corner – Very cool. Very Pulp-ish. The backing music is really excellent – and the vocals work well. Good song too – sounds a lot better than it read in the lyric thread. Well done

Caravan Ray – I’m pretty happy with this – although it deserved a much better quality of recording. I really enjoyed trying to write in French – you get a whole new set of rhymes! In French, ‘the sea’ rhymes with ‘Hell’. That’s cool! I hope I came close to what I was trying to say – but I probably didn’t – my French is merde. I love the eerie quality my “choir-of-the-damned” at the end gives it
-------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I like that. I think in future I may refer to myself as Caravan Ray and his Choir of the Damned
-------------------------------------------------

Hostess, RedSkyHawk, Deshead, Charcoal and Johnny ITC will all be kept for future enjoyment.

I think this requires Eurovision style judging:

Hello, Brisbane calling...

Wreckdom, un point
Pipefist, cinq points
Hostess Mostess, six points
Charcoal, sept points
Destete, huit points
Red Sky Hawk, neuf points
Johnny in the Corner, dix points, et
Caravan Ray, DOUZE POINTS!

vote for Johnny in the Corner
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

caravan rayon. I am almost positive that "rayon de caravane" is not real French. On the other hand the lyrics seem reasonable; at least, in terms of translation. Here is what I do to cut down on that hiss. First, record loudlier. That way you don't have to turn up all the volumes later and amplify the noise. Second- cut some equalizationing. It's often possible to chop out a lot of high frequency hiss without screwing up the song too badly. That's not really a good solution but it might work.

charcoal. I apologize to the people who wrote the soundtrack for The Little Mermaid; as Disney movies go, that one is pretty good. Especially the part where that wacky French chef is chasing Sebastian around his kitchen. It is not impossible that I may have been thinking of that particular scene when this song was written.

deshead. You win the prize for best Francophonication of your name. I'm a little disappointed with the song though; I hadn't listened to your other songs but all the positive things being said about you on other review threads caused my expectations to be high. This isn't anything special in terms of performance or originality.

hostess. mostess. Solid mostessery. I looked at the list of people who were in this fight and immediately concluded that this would probably be the best song, and, lo! it probably is.

j-co. Some of the words seem a little questionable to me but the delivery, at least, is good, and your voice/accent/etc is a perfect fit here.

pipe-fist. This is too mechanical. By which I mean, you couldn't have made the drums sound more drum-machine-y if you tried. And this is just a personal bias thing but I really hate those voice-filter synth sounds. Gets better in the second half of the song; I like the mix of acoustic guitar and non-acoustic non-guitars. Are anchovies really that smelly? Apparently lots of people think so.

red sky hawk. I've never been to France, and my only experience with French radio is that ten second Swirlies track, but this, to me, sounds like what I'd expect to hear on French radio. More variety in the backing would be nice; the bonky bass is okay but it's the same over and over. I guess that isn't really a bad thing in this sort of song though.

wreckdom. Dear Deep Throat: May I call you Deepie? I know that Songfight! runs on the backs of a few dedicated volunteers and it may be gauche (that's French!) to complain. Heck, I've even volunteered to help out myself. But, you know, when the song titles are so crappy that even WreckdoM can't think of anything good and have to resort to this, I think that indicates a certain failing on your part. I mean, they're as creative as anyone here. I know you won't take this personally, because I don't even know who you are. But consider that a song title like "Anchovies" doesn't admit of a lot of interesting treatments, and then you put it in another language to make it even harder. Songfight! is not supposed to be easy, but if you make it too hard, then we don't get any good songs to listen to. And so, Deepie, I hope that in the future you will try to give us more titles that we can work with. Thanks! Love, Ben.

P.S. I know you and Santa Claus are good buddies; if you aren't too busy, would you pass along to him that this year, I'm really really hoping for that pony that I keep asking for. Possibly he just isn't getting my letters, so a little extra emphasis might help me out a lot.
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

If you agree, fine. If you disagree, fine. If you don't care, even better.

Caravan Ray : Esta es, muy retardo. No compredo texto e musica. para me, no grasias. Estoy en el mejor lugar pero en el peor momento. Grade C+.
Charcoal : This is funny a hell. Great use of a French feel. I laughed the whole way through. Not sure on a musical level how I feel about this, but on a comedic level the gets a Grade B+.
DesTête: Euro Trash music... woohoo. Mierda puro Mierda. Grade C-.
Hostess Mostess: Those muted note sounds a bit like the Twilight Zone in the begining. Great vocal and mix. I the background phased/panned vocals are irritating. The main vocals are so good it was disappointing. Grade A.
Johnny in the Corner: Nice start. Your lyrics are defiantly your strong suit. Your vocals are really good in this song also. Great job. Me gusta mucho. Grade A-.
Pipe Fist: The acoustic guitar is nice. Feel is established well. The background weird bits could be buried more once the singing starts. It is distracting. The vocals seem nice. Lyrics could use help. Grade B
Red Sky Hawk : This sounds like a demo song on a casio keyboard. Grade C+
WreckdoM : Hahahahhahahahaha. Ummmm.. hahahahahhahaha ok, ok what I really thin.k..hahahahahhahahaha. Grade B.

Hostess Mostess +1
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
http://www.friedband.com
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

This title reminded me of early Songfights, about puppies and yellow lasers. Not my favorite, but then again I didn't have to submit something, did I?

Dunno who gets my vote yet. My first impressions, in French-alphabetical order:

CaravanRay I'm glad I checked the lyrics. I thought you said "poutine". Heh. Also, "J’adore tes sourcils salés" is the best lyric of the week. (I think "Mon amour, ca sent de la mer" should be "Mon amour, il sent de la mer".) All in all, I love the mood you created, and I keep listening to your track, despite the hiss.

Charcoal I think you're in the same boat as me, with a joke song that'll either work or it won't. In your case, it does (I certainly laughed.) It's Monty Python-esque in some ways (and really well performed.)

DesTête Ca c'est moi. This one was funnier in my head. I forgot there'd be reviews to face.

Hostess The production is flawless. Your voice is awesome, the title not so much. (Though this is the closest thing to a "keeper" I heard this week. Given the title, that's saying a lot.)

Johnny Wow, your delivery fits the song perfectly. And I love the organ at the end. Great atmosphere.

le Pipe Fist I'm consistently impressed by a) your voice, and b) your instrumentation. Again, the guitar tone here is awesome, and the synth sounds really grab my attention. Though I think the vox are a little drowned out, and the chorus lyric sounds forced. It's almost like someone gave you an unworkable title, and you worked it anyway. Or something like that.

RedSkyHawk Top-notch production. The song makes me feel like I need a shower.

WreckdoM Dudes, you should see the blood oozing from mes oreilles.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

des tetes
a.b.c. eat. a.b.c. lunch. the mix is ite. you should remixfight sometime.

caravan ray
HISSSSSSSSSSSS. whats behind it sounds kind of nice though. it's like a french jonathan richman.

charcoal
the organ based mix is a pretty cool idea, but the vox delivery sounds too jokey. i realize it is jokey but seems like it's overemphasized. but the mix has a cool french flavor. it's just the subtlety is sort of lost.

hostess mostess
this is good. very original approach and very well executed and recorded. it's like prince's cornfed brother...

johnny in the corner
well, it's always a pleasure to work with johnny cashpoint. i like how he phased up my mandolin track too. in the bridge, i think i'm saying "stop being clever", "stop being stupid", and "HE is really into you....". at least thats what babelfish gave me. :)

wreckdom
pretty much what i'd expect from wreck dumb.

red sky hawk
wow, i'd say you either have a really tight band of session musicians at your disposal, or you have garageband. actually, i'll bet you are just a master of reason. either way, the mix on this sounds awesome. very well done.

pipefist
i'm a total sucker for glockenspiely stuff. the vocals sound rushed on this, iike you struggle to keep up with the mix. i absolutely love your mix. i don't hate the singing. but they don't jive so great in my headphones. maybe some harmonies would really help out, or just doubling the vocals in spots would definitely help boost the presence of the singing. good tune, i dig it, but maybe try to remix the vox better.

faves......pipefist, red sky, JITC, hostess.
Hi!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

deshead wrote: CaravanRay I think "Mon amour, ca sent de la mer" should be "Mon amour, il sent de la mer".
Thanks. Yes, it was my use of the verb sentir that had me most worried - it seemed like a bit of a tricky one, open to lots of different meanings. I knew my version was wrong - but I thought that at least the meaning could be understood - and maybe I would sound like an illiterate half-witted Frenchman singing - which would have fitted the the theme of the song
RedSkyHawk
A New Player
Instruments: Bass, Piano, Guitar, Trumpet
Recording Method: Ableton Live, PreSonus FireStudio
Submitting as: The Tarantists

Post by RedSkyHawk »

Hi All,

This is my first post in this community. I hope to get to know each of you better as time goes.

Here are my reviews by order of preference:

1 - Hostess Mostess

What's that synth FX sound at 14 sec.? Charcoal have a similar sound at the top of their song. What are you using for synths? Anyway cool poppy tune. Great lead and background vocal and vocal processing. Goes to show that you don't need much instrumentation once you've picked a good vocal line. The synth hits are so short that at the end of the song, they sound like bursts of noise. Great form.

2 - Johnny In the Corner

The very thin sounding mix makes it hard to bop your head to what is otherwise a very clever and cheery little arrangement. Good voice. And I like the backing guitar. Another pass through it and it would be 100% in time and in key. Very freely moving form and witty words, a competent piece of work.

3 - Des Têtes

This song would have been a hit during the times of early sequencer music like Kraftwerk. The random French learning method words work well with the dance beat (anything works well with a dance beat). I like the female voice enumerating the food items. She sounds like Jane Birkin in her voice and her accent. I like the octave shifting on the bass line from section to section. Well done minimalist dance tune.

4 - Pipe Fist

I like the intro. Dry but floaty. The chord stacks get pretty muddy in the verse and make the lyrics hard to make out. It's the case to with the various rhythms parts which seem to get out of sync with one another. Great song though and I like the vocals. Did the file get chopped at 2:40 or is it really the way it's supposed to end like that?

5 - Caravan Ray

The value of this song is not to be found in the sonic quality of its recording. The French words actually mean something and are remarkably well writen. Something about a salty hooker. Points for that. Another great fisherman (loup de mer) tale. And the simple and dark minor folksy "complainte" fits the vibe. A poignant maritime tragedy for two guitars and men's chorus. Not my thing but well followed through. I can see a painting from the story.

6 - Charcoal

The other spoken word two-chord song. The very bland organ sound downplays what could be a great (flying) circus tune. I like the theatrical vocal delivery (almost sounds like it was recorded on a set too) which makes the meat of the song. Not to crazy about the string counter-melodies. But fun and creative.

7 - Wreckdom

Not much harmony in there, not that a song has to have any. But some rhythm at least until the lead guy looses it. Definitely music for (by?) drunk people. Even if I don't find it enjoyable, I could see it used on a independent movie about some demented fisherman.

All songs are very creative and most sound very good. Great job all!

About my song: it's all done in Reason. I played and "Recycled" the bass line the tiny rythm guitar line and my voice. French is my native language. The words are about the origin the use and the health benefits of anchovies.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Wrtten during a free period. Teacher who let me use her computer to listen to the songs was impressed by the idea of Songfight, and dug some of them a fair bit.

Caravan Ray B
Woo, I can understand this. Your pronunciation is pretty good. You're not really singing in some bits. Which kinda sucks. The backing 'ahhs' aren't working for me. Some sound good, most don't.

Charcoal B+
Trippy beginning. Sounds like it'd be a decent TV theme for a cooking show. What're you tingling at 1:05ish? Guitar? It sounds good... oddly enough. The general drone-y-ness gets kinda boring though.

Destete B-
Well you've already got my head bouncing. And apparantly my elbow too as it just clicked... 1:10 I'm wanting something new. I do like all the random French foods though.

Hostess Mostess A
Ooh, goooood voice. I can see myself singing along in the future. I'm really digging this. What's those loud noise things just before the bridge? This is pretty good, it's already getting stuck in my head. Ooh, it has 'nana's--that rocks.

Johnny in the Corner C-
Sounds like something I've heard before. I don't think this is doing anything for me.

Pipefist B+
Can't hear the vocals too well. I like it, but it could definitely do with something to pop in and suprise me. Ooh, very sudden ending.

Red Sky Hawk B
Ooh, shall I grab my dancing shoes? Kinda a fun little groove tune. Gets a little monotonous, but it's still good. The europoness is suprisingly nice.

Wreckdom C
Oh, Wreckdom, you unqique musician, you. I found myself giggling at the song that comes in at 1min-ish. This is kinda like a bleeding finger for me. You can't help but look at it and see what happenes. It's a hot cat? Okay. This song is so... odd.

Vote goes to Hostess Mostess.
Songfighter since back in the day.
PipeFist
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by PipeFist »

Yeah, guys, it totally sucks that my vocals didn't come out right. I should've recorded it again, but just like with Red Skates, we did a rush job the night before it was due. I wasn't even going to enter this fight, in the first place. And yeah, the end is really rushed. We should've faded it out, but again, we were in quite a hurry. Gonna try to get an early start this time around.

I'm gonna go post the lyrics in that one forum if you guys want to know what the song is actually <i>about</i>.

Hopefully I can get around to listening to the other songs, sounds like there are some I should hear.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Bjam wrote:Wrtten during a free period. Teacher who let me use her computer to listen to the songs was impressed by the idea of Songfight, and dug some of them a fair bit.

That's pretty cool. Funny, Dana (my wife) just walked in , and I'm like "Honey, it's so cool, there's this like 15 year old girl in Philedelphia..."

I'm not sure if you're 15...just a guess....

Anyway, she's like "what the f...are you talking about?"

Some things need to be explained in a different order. Anyway, cool that your teacher is so open minded... but I get a bigger kick out of you doing reviews from school class.... see, In a short while, you might be doing that from some office where you are the CEO...or HR manager, or the director of sales... of course, in your spare time from being a superstar nee songfight.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Leaf wrote: see, In a short while, you might be doing that from some office where you are the CEO...or HR manager, or the director of sales... of course, in your spare time from being a superstar nee songfight.
Oh you sound so old ..... can you be my dad, too, Leaf? :)
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

PipeFist wrote:I'm gonna go post the lyrics in that one forum if you guys want to know what the song is actually <i>about</i>.
*addendum to review* Actually that's a pretty good 'twisted narrator' lyric, although use of the B word kind of requires that you are in character mode, and you might want to spell that out more, just 'cos at the moment it runs the risk (unintentionally I'm sure) of being misinterpreted, especially against the pretty music. Overall a shame I couldn't hear them. It's an interesting take.

j$
PipeFist
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by PipeFist »

Thanks, man. What do you mean by being in character mode? I require more input. I'm really not that attached to that particular line, anyway.

Actually, now that I look at that again, the line isn't really consistent with the rest of the song. Doesn't rhyme as well as I originally thought. I will probably change it in future versions of the song.

Songfight is helping me build up a good library of songs to use in demos, as the partnership I've made while making these songs with a friend of mine is going to be turned into a band. Hopefully a band that will work out better than the last one I was in, where everything sorta fell apart.
Last edited by PipeFist on Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

PipeFist wrote:Thanks, man. What do you mean by being in character mode? I require more input. I'm really not that attached to that particular line, anyway.
Oh I just mean that make clear that it is a charcter, not you, singing the song i.e. it's a novel in the first person, not an autobiography. You could do that by a bit more background on who this guy is, or by making him so unpleasant that there is no way anyone would think this was a true story. Does that make any sense?

j$
PipeFist
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by PipeFist »

Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying. The line will be changed as soon as I can get myself to do it. I always have a hard time messing with old songs, for some reason. I guess I just feel like expending that energy on new ones, instead.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

j$ wrote:
Leaf wrote: see, In a short while, you might be doing that from some office where you are the CEO...or HR manager, or the director of sales... of course, in your spare time from being a superstar nee songfight.
having met leaf a couple months back, he neither looks nor acts his age. while i'm sure he's a fine dad, he's never lost sight of the fact that he's a big kid at heart.
Hi!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

jack shite wrote:
j$ wrote:
having met leaf a couple months back, he neither looks nor acts his age. while i'm sure he's a fine dad, he's never lost sight of the fact that he's a big kid at heart.
I'm pleased to hear it. i look and act my grandad's age.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Just noticed Bortwien's cover art from this one - pretty cool, looks like something from a Where's Wally book.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

RedSkyHawk wrote:Hi All
Salut!
RedSkyHawk wrote:I like the female voice enumerating the food items. She sounds like Jane Birkin in her voice and her accent.
I hadn't heard of Jane Birken until you mentioned her. Wow, her voice is hardly there at all, eh?

(FWIW, I jacked the 'food' clips from this page. So the voice is probably Laura Lawless, if that means anything)