Lost

Blab about the Boob Tube.
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

I wouldn't put much stock in what Jack says at that point, considering that he was blitzed on oxycodone pretty much the whole time. The other doctor was also looking at him like he was totally off his rocker, too.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Leaf wrote: So... if they are in the future now, WHY is Jack's Dad ALIVE? ("you get my dad down here....if I'm drunker than he is, you can fire me".
well, his dad was in a coffin on the island, you'll recall. then they opened the coffin and he wasn't there. jack's seen him on the island, and other people have seen other once-dead people on the island. john locke recovered from his gunshot wound (and his broken back). so... there's that.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
himynameisntmark
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass.
Recording Method: GarageBand
Submitting as: Maggie Kanuka

Post by himynameisntmark »

CHAAAAARRRRLIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!

That's all I have to say.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Wow, this thread is still alive?
Leaf wrote:
jack wrote:now that's what i call a god damned season finale!
Ditto.

SPOILER:

So... if they are in the future now, WHY is Jack's Dad ALIVE? ("you get my dad down here....if I'm drunker than he is, you can fire me".

TRIPPY!

Looking forward to the next episodes... next... February...sheesh.
Yeah, the Season 3 finale was cool beyond words. And I can't stand Jack-centric episodes, usually.

To answer Leaf's query, well, spoilers, I guess... I can never really be too sure with Lost anymore.

My take on it was that Jack was just being crazy, drunk, and in denial.

Anyway, does anyone know whether the writing of scripts for Season 4 has started, or rather, how far in they were when the strike was declared? We might be in for yet another huge gap, and this one not intentional.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

If by "alive" you mean "the last post was six months ago," then I guess it is.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Still on the front page of the "TV" section, anyway. I guess people just aren't talking much about TV.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

hey i think the last time jon eric made an appearance, lost was still on. :)
Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I think the last time I made an appearance, people still thought Lost was going to turn out to make sense. :lol: We'll see what happens when the new title comes up, but I fully intend to make it a priority to enter at least a couple of Songfights before the year is out (I can't believe my last entry was in the summer 0f '06!).

jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

2 weeks from tonight! (just saw the trailer)

damn, it's been so long, i forgot what happened in the final but i remember it was good. must find online.
Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I can't believe you could forget about the part where *****kzzzt......

Connection reset by peer.

jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

2 hour repeat of the season finale in 45 minutes! new show tomorrow night!

i'm so excited i could pee.
Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Re: Lost

Post by JonPorobil »

The first half of season 4 is now over. 8 of the slated 16 new episodes have aired. The season will pick back up again in four weeks, and hopefully run uninterrupted for another eight. Personally, I think it was the highest signal-to-noise ratio they've had since season 1. What do you think, Jack et al.?

No Horse Town
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: programming, guitar, vox
Recording Method: GuitarPro 5, Audacity
Submitting as: No Horse Town

Post by No Horse Town »

I dunno, season 4 is kind of a letdown for me. It's all coming together too much. Still, I've come this far, so I'm sure I'll stick around til' the end. The 8th episode was a major bummer. I swear the network advertised that "someone you've gotten to know very well... will die". Or something to that effect. Did I miss the episode where we got to know that person very well? Or did I just hear them wrong? Hmm.

That Faraday guy is pretty cool, tho. And great casting with that Abaddon fella... deliciously creepy!

Yeah, it's still a good show, I guess. Better than most network TV, fo' shizzle.
There's a place where a total stranger will give you their blood...
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

it's been a crazy and interesting season. i think the way they ended last season opened up alot of opportunities for the writers to work in 3 time dimensions now (past, present, and future) instead of the linear "now" and how are they going to get off the island. that's no longer even a question anymore (the "oceanic 6") but now the real questions seem much more lynchian* in nature. the future is stranger than the present or the past now. i think the strength of the show is still in the writing but definitely also the strength of the character actors, specifically sawyer, hurley, jin, locke, and especially ben. solid ensemble cast in a quirky, unpredictable, and entertaining storyline will keep me coming back every thursday.

*david lynch
Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

In Lost, as well as just about every TV show currently airing, at least half of the negative criticism I hear is based on false advertising. "They said we'd learn three major secrets about the Island this week and we didn't! This show sucks!"

That's why I don't watch the ads in advance of the show, and if I do happen to catch one, I ignore it. The show's writers don't write those ads. The studio execs who want to you to watch every single episode writes those ads. They want to scare you into thinking that even if you miss just this one week, you'll be completely out of the loop because everything worth seeing is going to happen in the one episode you're going to miss. So, more often than not, they lie. And yeah, it sucks. But stop believing them already.

Anyway. One of my major disappointments this season is that the flashbacks are being de-emphasized. There've only been three, and none of them were in the style to which we've grown accustomed (one was Desmond actually having flashbacks, which was incorporated into the plot, one was Kevin Johnson telling the story of how he got to where he is now, instead of integrating the flashbacks throughout the "present" storyline, and one was Juliet, which was pretty close, 'cept that it took place on the Island). Oh, and I know the Jack and Kate stuff is kinda interesting (in the "how are they gonna make it out of this one?" kind of way), but FOR CHRISSAKES WHY DON'T THEY DIE? THEY'RE THE TWO LEAST INTERESTING CHARACTERS ON THE ISLAND.

Sayid's new backstory, on the other hand, really gets me excited.

Okay, you've been warned: HERE BE SPOILERS These reference up to the most recent episode (which, as of the time of this writing, is May 1st's "Something Nice Back Home"), so if you haven't seen it and you care: SPOILER ALERT. Highlight to read.

I'm trying to figure out the chronology of the flash-forwards. One of my friends, after last Thursday's episode ("Something Nice Back Home," during which Future-Jack and Future-Kate get engaged), argued that we've been watching them in chronological order. Which doesn't make sense to me. I mean, on the other side of the globe, we're clearly watching backwards, just because we see Sayid in Ben's employ several episodes before seeing Sayid offer to work for Ben. But even in the U.S. storylines... Hurley visits Sun in Korea seven episodes into this season, when he gets institutionalized in the premiere. And where does the Season 3 Finale, "Through the Looking Glass," in which we first glimpsed Future-Jack—sporting his RAZR phone, mystery obituary, beard, drinking habit, Stockholm Syndrome, and other such trendy new accessories—fit in here? Have he and Future-Kate already broken up at this point? Or have they not yet gotten together? I assume that the flash-forwards in that episode take place after Kate's trial, otherwise, she wouldn't be able to run out and meet him at the airport.

Other questions I'm pondering: How the hell does Jin manage to fake his own death to the other Losties? How does Jack find out that he's Aaron's uncle (In "Something Nice Back Home," he yells at Kate, "You're not even related to him," implying that Jack knows that he is, in fact, related to Aaron)? When will Claire die (the same friend who argued that we're watching the flash-forwards in order also argued that Claire isn't going to die; that she willingly lets Kate adopt the baby)? And, of course, what the fuck is up with Farraday?

No Horse Town
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: programming, guitar, vox
Recording Method: GuitarPro 5, Audacity
Submitting as: No Horse Town

Post by No Horse Town »

yeah, SPOILER:

"MOVE THE ISLAND"?!?!?! OK, that's pretty fuckin' cool.

that's all.
There's a place where a total stranger will give you their blood...
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

How come nobody's talking about LOST anymore? No post since almost a year ago. I think Season 5 has been excellent so far. Anyone still watching? If you're not, you're missing out in my opinion!
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

And if they don't check the thread, they're missing out on your opinion!

AARON GROWS UP TO BE SAWYER!

(p.s. spoiler alert)
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

i'm still watching it, even after starting this thread in season 1. :)

aaron/sawyer.....damn phil, that just messed wit my head. :shock:

this season is WAY out there compared to past years. still good, but man, it's way out there.....
Hi!
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

He's not serious of course... Aaron can't grow up to be Sawyer! But I'm really digging the crazy time travel this season. I knew reviving this thread would bring you around Jack... :) I'm glad you're still watching. I can't believe it's not on this week. That is just a crime!
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

jack wrote:i'm still watching it, even after starting this thread in season 1. :)

aaron/sawyer.....damn phil, that just messed wit my head. :shock:

this season is WAY out there compared to past years. still good, but man, it's way out there.....
And considering where they started, that's saying a lot! :lol:

(hey jack how you been?)

jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

yeah, the whole time travel part really plays into the title well. not only are these guys lost, they are really lost.

spoilers.......

i'm glad the island quit flashing. i'd be following a plot line and then wham, it's gone. it was getting old.

now that they seem to be sort of stuck in the 80's?, will be interesting to see how they get back to real time. and it's not really clear why certain people move with the island and others don't. what gives there?

juliet and sawyer, you had to see that one coming. but now kate's back so more WTF?

the previews for the next show seems to preview how the current group of dharma initiatives accept the new visitors (jack, kate, hurley, sayid). and was ben dead when locke saw him after the crash?

viva lost!

oh yeah, and i'm good jon eric. thanks for asking. busy with work and life but can't complain about either.
Hi!