"Before the Music Dies" documentary

Blab about the Boob Tube.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

"Before the Music Dies" documentary

Post by roymond »

roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Re: "Before the Music Dies" documentary

Post by jb »

I watched about 15 minutes of it and then started to get angry. But not angry at the music industry-- angry at the filmmakers.

The part that *I* watched seemed to be a lot of musicians and critics lamenting the fact that you don't have to be good anymore in order to have a music career. You just have to be pretty. At one point a "music fan" is talking about how she HATES when some young girl is singing a song that she "wrote" but which she wrote with a 45-year old man.

They also go on and on about how today's music industry is all about image. All about youth. Like it didn't used to be that way.

I call bullshit. How many of his songs did Elvis write? In addition to his talent, did Elvis's looks and swinging hips have nothing to do with his success? How many songs did the acts on Motown or Stax write for themselves? And was the fact that they were pretty not at all a factor in the careers of Joni Mitchell and Diana Ross and Michael Jackson?

It's always been about youth. The Beatles were about youth culture. The stones were about youth culture.

And last I checked, Dave Matthews AIN'T PRETTY. And he didn't get famous in the "late 60's and 70's".

And now all these fucking boomers and fucking sourpusses all of which, up to the point I stopped watching, are multi-millionaires (even if she's not rich, Erykah Badu's doing ok) are griping about how you don't have to be talented any more, and it's all about image and all about youth. MOTHERFUCKER PLEASE.

I'm all for a documentary about what's wrong with the music industry, but I don't think this one is it. Maybe the other hour and 15 minutes would have changed my mind. *shrug*

Where's the documentary about indie artists trying to come up from the bottom and the stuff getting in their way? MC Frontalot? Spinto Band?

Hmph. Sour grapes. 30 years from now, the kids they interview in this documentary, the Avril Lavigne fans, will be lamenting that music just isn't the same any more.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I agree, though I don't think any one documentary will answer all your desires, and i'd recommend taking things a bit more lightly. It's almost a mocumentary and I found it entertaining. I thought certain elements hilarious...the chick with the hair: "you gotta be butt naked with glitter on your body and a beeper"

And the sequence of a songwriter on the lawn being asked for a catchy hit, then prepping a less than energetic model for a recording session, fixing her voice in production and shooting a sappy sexy music video. Especially where she's stuffing pizza in her mouth while lip syncing. I don't know how much is authentic but I don't care. It highlights some of the misperceptions and expectations of pop. Easy targets? Sure.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

I watched it (on google video, because f&^*ing hulu won't stream outside the US) and enjoyed it. I don't personally care for Dave Matthews' music, but that dude is *intense*.
* this is not a disclaimer
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I DO TAKE THINGS LIGHTLY, MOTHERFUCKER! I'LL KILL YOU! ARRRRGH@$#%*G@
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jb wrote:How many of his songs did Elvis write?
He has co-writing credit on 9 songs.

His actually contribution in the song-writing process may or may not have been significant.