Wales
7%

Total votes: 14
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: North America

Post by Caravan Ray »

Hoblit wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:Taiwan is not part of North America
...therefore missing my point entirely.

Actually, I have to think that you got my point and are still disagreeing without dragging on the argument, and I can appreciate that. :-)
Exactly.

If I were to carry on the argument - I may raise the question that if sovereignity plays no role in determining whether a particular geographical area is a "country" or not, then surely Manhattan with a population density of 27,000 person per km2 may be a candidate for the most densely populated arbitrarily chosen piece of North America. Or one of the inner suburbs of Mexico City perhaps.

...LORD PALMERSTON!!!!!!!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Hoblit wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:I disagree.
Bermuda is not a "country".
That is lame. A country doesn't have to be sovereign to be considered a country.
Hell, I know a few Puerto Ricans that would like to argue with you for that matter.
There are probably also people in Hawaii that might disagree with you. But that doesn't make it less of a state, or Puerto Rico less of a territory. Neither of them should be considered a country.
Me$$iah
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

Damn .... Freedom for Wales

Throw off the English oppresors.

Actally, Wales is not, nor never has been a member of the United Kingdom. Unlike the other constituent parts Wales never signed up to the Act of Union. Wales is indeed an occupied nation. However the education system in the UK avoids this utterly, so most of the people dont know and just accept the situation. Like in the USA most people consider it to be a democracy, despite the fact that it specifically is not. Education, or indocrination, seems to be the rule here.
As Orwell wrote ..." he who controls the present controls the past, and he that controls the past controls the future.."
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Okay, so Bermuda would not be listed as a country by the 8 rules of countryship:
1. Has space or territory that has internationally recognized boundaries (boundary disputes are OK).
2. Has people who live there on an ongoing basis.
3. Has economic activity and an organized economy. A country regulates foreign and domestic trade and issues money.
4. Has the power of social engineering, such as education.
5. Has a transportation system for moving goods and people.
6. Has a government that provides public services and police power.
7. Has sovereignty. No other State should have power over the country's territory.
8. Has external recognition. A country has been "voted into the club" by other countries.

So Barbados is the best answer but does it really matter when the list of choices includes Coolangatta & Wales?
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

OK...I get it it, I really do. I just think its kind of silly.If I'm visiting Puerto Rico I'm not visiting another country.

I'm just visiting another place vastly different (er... maybe not that vastly different) from Florida.

So when I'm in Northern Ireland, I'll be sure to let them know that I just love their quaint little corner of the United Kingdom.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Niveous wrote: So Barbados is the best answer but does it really matter when the list of choices includes Coolangatta & Wales?
I've got no problems with Coolangatta being part of North America. We don't really need it in Queensland. And I suspect that most English people would feel the same about Wales. Take them, they're yours. Enjoy.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Hoblit wrote:OK...I get it it, I really do. I just think its kind of silly.If I'm visiting Puerto Rico I'm not visiting another country.

I'm just visiting another place vastly different (er... maybe not that vastly different) from Florida..
Isn't Alaska "another place vastly different from Florida"? You can see Russia from there! Apparently.

Hoblit wrote: So when I'm in Northern Ireland, I'll be sure to let them know that I just love their quaint little corner of the United Kingdom.

Yes -that would be the best option:
According to a 2007 opinion poll, 66% express long term preference of the maintenance of Northern Ireland's membership of the United Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland

It is called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland after all
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Me$$iah wrote:Damn .... Freedom for Wales

Throw off the English oppresors.

Actally, Wales is not, nor never has been a member of the United Kingdom. Unlike the other constituent parts Wales never signed up to the Act of Union. Wales is indeed an occupied nation. However the education system in the UK avoids this utterly, so most of the people dont know and just accept the situation. Like in the USA most people consider it to be a democracy, despite the fact that it specifically is not. Education, or indocrination, seems to be the rule here.
As Orwell wrote ..." he who controls the present controls the past, and he that controls the past controls the future.."
I like how the team that represents the England and Wales Cricket Board is always referred to as "England", not "England and Wales". The Welsh are very wise to distance themselves from that mob!