Maid to be plaid? (Made to Be Played Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Maid to be plaid? (Made to Be Played Reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

That was an angle on the title that BSS considered. Anyway, I'm just putting this up here to check "review thread" off the list of requirements for getting the new songs posted.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Re: Maid to be plaid? (Made to Be Played Reviews)

Post by Spud »

That just leaves "good art"...
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I put some "art" in.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I listened and voted. I'm kind of surprised there weren't more songs about guitars.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Dori Kettle
A New Player
Instruments: Vocals & Lyrics.Guitar.Keyboard.Banjo.Standup Bass
Recording Method: Trial and Error
Submitting as: Doscientos / Dori Kettle

Post by Dori Kettle »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:I listened and voted. I'm kind of surprised there weren't more songs about guitars.

Inspired by Beatles Revolution 9, my deconstructed song has lyrics about a guitar (brazilian rosewood flat top or arch
inlayed with pearl... fingers to march). Also, the guitar speaks in human voicing.
Thanks for listening.

Dori Kettle
Doscientos
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:I listened and voted. I'm kind of surprised there weren't more songs about guitars.
unfortunately - because mine is played on a guitar, I think people will assume mine is about a guitar - but I never mention one in my song and assume it could just as easily be about a rusty old trumpet or a dusty clarinet.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Authors Of - I really like the concept and the violin. What bugs me is the tightness of the components - there's quite a timing conflict.

Berkeley Social Scene - This kind of blows my mind, in a good way. The timing and scale strangely work and bring me to a different time. Still, my ears wish there were a longer break from the strangeness.

Civil Ramblings - Good composition. A little slow for my tastes. The singing, while perfectly fine, kind of bugs me - especially with the "oh yeahs". Who do you think you are, the Kool-Aid guy?

Deetak - I can tell this one was a little rushed. Still good, but I'd like it a little more with some backing instrumentation and less of the mumbled singing.

Disciples of Beer - I think you have high aspirations, but you're missing a few things... like other instruments. Vocals generally on, but the peaking is inexcusable. Panning is a little harsh.

Dori Kettle - It's very loud.

Dr Spectacular's Power Circus - Awesome. I have no nitpicks, except the fact that it was TARDY! It was probably tardy because you were too busy adding yet another fucking instrument and spectacular fake ending after the last spectacular fake fucking ending, you goddamn show-off! The melody strongly reminds me of a Queen song.

Dustova - Pleasant to listen to. I like it. Could be a little louder/punchier... sounds like a mastering problem.

Elephant Choir - The subtle instrumentation works here, but the verse vocals could be tighter and more on key. Chorus is a nice change, as is the piece after.

Fortunes Favorites - Nice singing. The fake instrumentation kind of brings down your good singing in this case.

Gooey Caramel Centaur - The song gets me involved right away - quite a gem. Only thing that needs work are the vocals.

Heipa - I like it. There are a few weak spots, but I'm sure you know what they are.

James Owens - Heh.

Jim Tyrrell - Cool guitar riff. Correction: riffs. Nice harmonies. Only one negative: snare is getting on my nerves.

Manhattan Glutton - This didn't quite come out the way I wanted. I didn't have a whole lot of time. Not much else to say.

Metropological - Reminds me of an Aphex Twin song. I generally like it, but it could use some variance when you repeat the main piece.

Paco del Stinko - Man, you nailed this. Kind of awesome. For the EQ'd vox, I would recommend a different EQ curve. Only YOU could pull off the lyrics "ding ding ding ding dong" and make them sound cool, but what are you going to do next week for "Ring them Bells" now?

Pigfarmer Jr - Not nearly the terrible garbage I expected based on your drunk description - maybe that was part of your plan. Nice guitar playing.

Rosemary Leonard Art Studio - I should probably be lynched for saying I like this, but I like this. It's generally interesting and it knows when to end.

Ross Durand - Nice guitar playing and singing as usual.

Sven Mullet - One of your guitars is out of tune. Otherwise, pretty sweet tune.

Wages - Most coherent W&W song I've heard, so the extra effort definitely helped. The song itself, not such a fan of. Ah well that's the way it goes.

Weakest Suit - Sweet song. Sweet production. Pitchy vocals.

So... where does that leave us? There are a lot of good songs here. Favorites right now: Authors Of, Berkeley, Dustova, Elephant Choir, GCC, Heipa, Jim Tyrrell, Paco del Stinko, Rosemary, Ross Durand, Weakest Suit.
Last edited by Manhattan Glutton on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
I listened and voted. I'm kind of surprised there weren't more songs about guitars.
Manhatan Glutton's predictions were not that far off, but I didn't expect this many variations on the lover's fool. I thought too that there might be a song about old vinyl on a dusty shelf, or something like that. And I'm pleased but surprised that no one else invoked places made to be played, like Carnegie Hall (although maybe that's what Rosemary Leonard Art Studio's contribution was about).

I'll blow my own horn here. Songfight is a stage made to be played -- and in a more literal sense than most, because you need an MP3 player. It's too bad that in four lines I couldn't work in the "fight" aspect of the playing that goes on here, but I take comfort in the fact that my scoring, for "recorder" and, uh, lutte, suggests a couple of bad puns, one of them across languages.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

deetak's entry is solid gold.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jeffhenderson »

Uh-oh.

So this one time, our band (Me, Big Crouton, and Andrew Reist) spent an enormous chunk of the weekend recording this song so it could be done by the deadline. We stayed up all night Sunday night to finish it on time.

But in our tiredness we each assumed somebody else was sending in the song.

We've sent some emails to Spud, so hopefully it can get posted on the front page.
But until then, here is our entry:

http://idisk.mac.com/jefftravishenderso ... Played.mp3
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Jeff Henderson wrote:
Uh-oh.
Jeff's song deserves to be in -- it could easily win.

Meanwhile, it certainly deserves reviews. Reminds me of Procol Harum from their Grand Hotel days, with a little bit of Queen at their symphonic heights. Musically interesting and engaging, and powerfully presented. The vocals are a little low in the mix.

I hope to be able to review all the songs sometime this week.
big crouton
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Bad Vocals, Midi Drums!
Recording Method: Pro Tools 9 via a Digi 002 rack
Submitting as: Big Crouton

Post by big crouton »

Thanks for putting our song up Spud, and sorry for our sleepiness-induced idiocy.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Ross wrote:
unfortunately - because mine is played on a guitar, I think people will assume mine is about a guitar - but I never mention one in my song and assume it could just as easily be about a rusty old trumpet or a dusty clarinet.
Well I did. :oops:
But you have to admit those tasty licks you had in there sure sound good.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Ratt Poizon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: 6 string, 7 sting, sitar, and bass guitar. Drum Machine. Pint Glass.
Recording Method: Milwaukee's Best, 1989 Tascam midistudio 688 (cassette), E-Mu Px7, and that's about it.

Post by Ratt Poizon »

ok... I've been wanting to do a fight for a while, and when my buddy came over with the "cigar box 4-string guitar" he just made and I saw this was the title, it seemed like a sign.... but it was only a sign to drink whiskey to the point one may (and should) have a 2 day hangover. so I'm bored and figured I'd tell all of you how much you suck. yer welcum. and I have a treat! my buddy eric will also put his two cents in. he will be "e," i will be "j."

cville ramblins-
j: this is very nice and recorded great. too bad it's not cool. great job anyway. try harder next time.
e: Production good. Good for movie sound song, coming from someone who "works" in the industry... for in a reflective sequence of a romantic film... I do like this one.

DSPC-
j: Bells are nice. recorded decently.... cool stuff going on, but still kinda gay no matter how you slice it. I want to like it but i don't. I am imagining you with eye liner on. I hope this is what you were trying to convey. Ending is VERY nice. I like that!
e: can i smoke in here josh? i'll give you chips. ewwwwwwwwwwww... they lost me on the contrast (as he looks like he's constipated).... "i'm waiting for free credit report to kick in"..... AHHH... but you got me back then. with the transition. kudos on pulling me back. i LIKE it. WOW I really like that! I really do, J! I see a music box. a carosel revolving in the snow.

manhattan glutton
j: same type of thing that was happening before, which upsets me, but I enjoy this the most as of now. also recorded well. and... yep, that was nice. thanks.
e: sounds like something that would be played in "the office." i like this song but it should have been sung in more of a british accent. even though it's irish.

The Elephant Choir
j: I thought this was going to be cool at first, but now i'm not sure..... now I am sure... I do not like it. stop it. it sounds fine, but c'mon! do something different. with a name like elephant choir i was hoping for avant garde trombones to kick me in the ear. you should be "the normal guys folk/rock choir with nothing special." (revisited on 2nd listen): actually, I stand corrected... the first minute or so is actually really cool, but should have kicked into a jethro tull style rock thing afterwards I think. still kinda boring after that.
e: I wasn't crazy about the beginning... but during the body of the song i grew to like it! and i think it's a great piece, but the volume levels need to be worked on. between the music and the vocal points. I shake your hands because I really did like this, very well done... thats it.

Rosemary art stuff
j: Thanks! it's boring, but still kinda cool, and I enjoy it. nothing more to say, other than... i suppose... kewl. I can kinda get into that.
e: I didn't really even hear that one.... (as he walks out the door.)

Heipa
j: sort of cool and a little different. thanks for this. the only thing that's really getting me is the bass and the cool backwards clap... but good job overall.
e: sound is stripped down. work is appreciated. however, it falls short. that's what it is.

wages
j: uh... you can do better. I know you can. yay E yay E yah.
e: i've left cum stains on my pillow that have more definition than this.... not being a dick though! but there needs to be a 3 dimensional aspect to the recording if you're going to present it as a "finished piece."

Authors of
j: I like the violin... but there's nothing really going on to keep my interest. I'm not a hippie, don't treat me like one
e: the music stands alone, could do without the vocals... In a positive way.

Berkley Social Scene
j: eh.... almost got me then lost me. not for me. eric is jingling his change while he listens to this, and I enjoy listening to that more than this. do somethin' 'bout it! the "be-do do da" part is also almost cool. reminds me of a bad verson of a song off of beck's "mutations" album.
e: like the oasis donovan blend, could use tamborine!

deetak
j: no.
e: very bowie-esque... i do like this. vocals could probably be dropped down a couple "db's."

disciples of beer!
j: you have to prove yourself with a name like that. go for it... I'm waiting. listen fellers, i'm drunk too. do something different already! I'm still waiting. ok. you're disciples of bud light now. you are something I would drink if someone held a gun to my head.
e: sounds like my nephew is playing guitar in a repetitive motion.... ewwwahhh... "i have no comment." do you want another beer? well here's one anyway.... just delete everything i just said. (*dictated but not read.)

Swing on the front porch
j: now here we go! something that's a little different and you ain't scared to do it... but are you? I can feel a little hesitation to be weird.... um hmm... i like that part. as of now, you got the vote. could use a really "good" kazoo solo, but then again, what song doesn't need one?
e: I heard.... I was in the bathroom and I heard the perfect accents to the beat... but then realized it was the sound of my shit hitting the water in the toilet. but seriously, great effort (as he giggles).

DuToVa
j: I really liked this to start, but then you started singing stupid and now i'm drinking and not paying attention. way to go jackass. parts are cool. you should think about singing through a metal distortion pedal and turning it down so low it doesn't read. maybe even add a wah-wah pedal. yep. some xylophone would have been appreciated, but was not granted.
e: I like the 80's flashback...heavy influence on "i'm turning japanese." I can see a robotic t-rex surrounded with black lights (josh thinks this is cool) dancing..... in outer space.

Fortunes favorite
j: haha! the timing seems really cool at first until i hear how it actually all comes together. for not really trying this sounds pretty cool. I can't complain! the bad midi sounds are awesome. (i hope you meant it that way). love ya!
e: ~looks and stares strangely at the ground~ (shakes head) oh dude... that was...... NO. appreciate the jazz influence behind it... but can't get into it.

Gooey Caramel Centaur
j: Awesome band name, shitty song. do something about it. very end reminded me of mario brothers and eric agrees
e: chorus was gripping. I like it. if you guys play a show, i want to film it..... for a nominal fee. (pm me)

james owens
j: you got it, motherfucker! you got it!
e: great for ending credits if you would extend it out to another 1:30. that's the only thing i'll really say. that works.

Jimmy Tyrell
j: haha! cool, reminds me of something this drummer made that i know. rockin' solo!
e: I really do like it! I would like to buy you dinner. and discuss writing music for film... i take that back. you're gonna type that aren't you? pause this song now. and then pause this song...dick head! the offer stands.

metropologynological
j: are these men nazi's walter?
e: i feel as if i'm watching an educational vhs on computers of the future. in 1988.

P A C O
j: as always you do a good job. I like the production... are you getting better now? and i'm just getting worse.... fuck you paco.
e: I'm pissing in a coke can... (or "soda" can per copyright), because I feel a sense of anarchy. but then when I think more...and I realize... i just pissed in a soda can.

Pig farmer jr
j: ok. for the normal guitar singing crap, it's ok. drink more next time
e: p l e a s e ..... please, PLEASE, get a slide guitar, and listen to johnny winter. and throw this in there, a little bit of john hammond and a touch of blind blake, and i think this song will be very well. it's a really good tune.

Ross Durand
j: this is ok, and recorded very well. quit being a hippie.
e: distort the vocals (j agrees!) bury them a bit. make the overall sound emulate that of the early blues recordings, add the effect of a crackling record, and you'll have something.... maybe a touch of a.m. radio effect.

sven
j: eh... well alright. drums sound pretty cool. and I suppose that's it.... sorry can't come up with anything else, other than I don't care for this. sounds like you had something, but went in another direction.
e: Great effort.

The weakest suit
j: I remember you. and i hear nothing cool still. c'mon! oh! I get it. "weakest." I found some of my fathers suits today. unfortunately he's a tiny man and i can not fit into them. they are very nice and haven't been touched for 35 years. if it weren't for the delays and crap noise parts I would render this tune unlistenable, and certainly not made to played.
e: softer vocals and the transitions between chords and it would make a great piece for film as a memory sequence, though I didn't really listen to the words.
"a guitar-induced brain hemorrhage" -The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Schecter Tempest, First Act VW, Sonar, Superior Drummer, Melodyne, Toneport UX8
Submitting as: Metaluna

Post by bdog5778 »

So, I may be submitting some of my handiwork here next week, so I figured I'd do due diligence and review some of this week's submissions. None of my comments are meant to be offensive, though many will be critical. I'm also fully aware that nobody has enough time to do things properly. Here goes:

Authors Of - DIDN'T LISTEN YET

Berkeley Social Scene - Great production, great jangly guitars. Love the interlude. No, serious, 'tis awesome. Don't care for the key change/dissonance/whatever in the verse. The word "change" is used a little too often as well for my tastes. Given our times -and if the name of the band indicates your geographic location- I suppose it's appropriate.

Cville Ramblings - Welcome back, '70's easy listening! I hate you. Nice ditty, nice solo, just the right vocal tone. Great production, too. Frankly, this one deserves to win or at least get second place (more on who SHOULD be first but won't be -later). I could hear a little bit of slide guitar in there. Not a lot, but a couple of chords that you slide into on the second verse and maybe a few little fills. Well done. You still suck, though.

deetak - I kind of like the mumbled singing, to be honest. Shades of Counting Crows. Nice strings in the background. The production needs more separation on the instruments though. You can hardly tell that there is some beautiful orchestral stuff in the background.

Disciples of Beer - The intro was most excellent...then you decided to keep playing it over and over. The vocals were obnoxiously panned, mixed too loud, and were probably clipping. Me no likey

Doris Kettle - There is an audience for this type of experimental work but I'm not it.

Dr Spectacular's Power Circus - WICKED!!! [N.B. I hardly ever use more than one exclamation point] This is clearly the winner -in my mind. Truly, this is the answer to the question "What would happen if Queen were held hostage by Tenacious D?" Maybe a tinge of Radiohead (ca. OK Computer) thrown in for good measure? I just can't say enough about how good this is. Okay, now that I've hyperventilated, a few qualms. The vocals need to be forward a bit more in the mix. This song tells the timeless story of megalomaniacs/tyrants everywhere and that story should be entirely intelligible. You could probably "push" the grit in your voice a tiny bit more as well. Still, those are secondary concerns. The over-the-top goodness of way too much guitar, choir and gang vocals, the whole nine yards...magnificent. The only song on here that I want to keep listening to after this fight is over.

DuToVa - Don't care for the melodies or the modulation in the middle (personal pet peeve). Good production. Vocals up front where they should be.

Elephant Choir - Sunny days are here again. Nice relaxing tune that needs a lot more compression. Vocals remind me of Steely Dan at times. Like the female voice harmonizing on there as well. Actually, I'm listening to this some more right now and the only conclusion I can draw is that this a great tune that suffers from bad production.

Fortunes Favorites - DIDN'T LISTEN YET

Gooey Caramel Centaur - DIDN'T LISTEN YET

Heipa - Love the intro and verse. The backwards vocals and snare/clap whatever (though that was a little too loud in the mix). Didn't care for the chorus. Also, if you're going to rip off David Bowie [played, played, played...(fame, fame, fame)] have the decency to steadily lower the pitch as it goes.

James Owens - Good stuff. Concise and original.

Jim Tyrrell - Nice. Vocals need more effects on them. Come to think of it, the entire piece is a little too dry if you're going to use that guitar tone. Doubling the lead and harmony vocals would work wonders, though (even if it's just copy/paste and then a tiny pitch and time shift). Some stereo widening would really help here, too [a free multi-band/widener called G-Multi is available at http://www.kvraudio.com . Check it out, it works great.]

Manhattan Glutton - Ah, an Irish drinking song. Get Billy Joel and this one's just about perfect. Perhaps a little work on the lyrics and phrasing in spots.

Metropological - Oi. Change it up, eh? This is nearly unlistenable (for me).

Paco del Stinko - Liked the guitar tone. Trashy and middy. Don't care for the vocals and dissonance...except for in one spot. "Ding, ding, ding, ding, dong!" Wow. Totally gay. Yet I like it. Lyrics are not my cup of tea.

Pigfarmer Jr - DIDN'T LISTEN YET.

Rosemary Leonard Art Studio - It's okay. Though, I must say, this could have been put out there any given week and just have the British guy say "Sometimes it's hard to keep moving" or "Fortune Cookie" or whatever instead of saying "Made to be played". Just sayin'. It's still pretty tight, though. Kind of actually reminds me of Phil Collins's percussion instrumental in the middle of "Tarzan". The part where the jungle animals destroy the camp.

Ross Durand - To repeat Manhattan Glutton -nice guitar playing and singing. Lyrics could use a beating.

Sven Mullet - Jangle, jangle. Like the doubling on the vocals (obviously something I pound on). They're a little too low on the chorus -though I think this a more a function of the dynamism from the guitars. A little compression on the guitars would be good here as they seem to be about the right level during the verses. I like this song.

Wages - I like it a lot. The little fills and chords and vocal melody are pretty darn cool. I'm a fan of this style. The lyrics are a little "eh" in spots but I think that this wouldn't matter so much if you had a different singer on this one. Somebody with a fake British accent and smooth vocals. Don't get me wrong - I like your voice. What you do, you do well. But, you have to know your limits. All of that said, it could be possible that you tried to find that guy but your phone calls to Noel Gallagher always go unanswered). This could be a nice little pop/punk sort of ditty. This needs drums, though. I noticed that your last song didn't have any either. $159 scores you EZDrummer. I use it's big brother (Superior), but I've heard nothing but good things about EZDrummer. So, a Brit singer, some drums, and tighter production and you're a star!

The Weakest Suit - This song needs some changes in the rhythm to break it up a little more. It's okay. Vocals sound smooth and up-front (these are good things).

Sorry I didn't get to listen to some of these. I do this on lunch break. :D

My vote goes to Dr. Spectacular's Power Circus.
kemmrich
A New Player
Instruments: guitar (banjo, harmonica, vocals)
Recording Method: cakewalk HS
Submitting as: cville ramblings

Post by kemmrich »

Hello, Good stuff this time around. I noticed a couple of instrumentals -- do instrumentals have a chance here? Any way, I thought a lot of the songs were top notch. Another question: How much of a "stickler" are folks for the phrase "Made To Be Played" to actually be in the song somewhere? I sort of took points off for it being missing.

Kevin

***************************************************************************************************

deetak: LOL, I thought this was in a foreign language at first, then I said no ... there is some English in there. Ah-ha, the lyrics are posted, that helps a lot (1 point for having the lyrics put up). I liked the instrumentation and the texture of the vocals. It's a pretty cool tune, unfortunately the phrase "made to be played" doesn't seem to exist anywhere. Points off for that. Nonetheless an enjoyable tune to experience. I think this songfight stuff is going to be pretty cool!

Disciples of Beer: It's "made to be played", not "Made to Play". Love the guitar part. It seems very full sounding for the limited instrumentation in there. Very creative effort, it comes across as an art/performance piece of sorts -- and there's nothing wrong with that.

Sven Mullet: It starts off like it was going to be a lo-fi garage band type thing, but the vocals are really well recorded -- as are the instruments. The chorus didn't match the quality of the verses, I thought. Was "Made to Be Played" part of the lyrics at all? I think that's sort of important -- but maybe that's just my issue. Great verses, chorus needs work.

The Elephant Choir: I really like the instrumentation for this. I didn't care for the melody selected for the "main" verses, plus too many words in those main verses made it a real tough sing. The other sections were well done, though. I loved the "Did Not Know" section. Great ending.

Paco del Stinko: Good musical concept, lots to like here. Didn't resonate with me enough to give it a vote, but it was sort of cool. Nice lead guitar tone. I think this would be a fun band to see live. Interesting instrumental break section.

Cville Ramblings: This is great, love the production, from the first note ......... wait! This is mine. Yea, I'm delusional -- I always think my stuff is great. Dang, if you can't enjoy your own stuff, then why even bother? My volume was quite a bit lower than most of the other songs, gotta work on that.

Berkeley Social Scene: Lot to like here. The production and sound choices are interesting, the vocals have a dreamy quality and the drumming is quite good. Very nice changes. Pretty great. The phrase "made to be played" didn't really factor in too much to be considered a good title for this one. Nonetheless, it demands a VOTE

Jim Tyrrell: Great mood you've setup here in the first part. I like this tune. Harmonies came in at the right time. I am not sure about a vote yet, but it's close. I think I'll hand out 4 votes or so, I'll have to wait until I get through the rest of them. You have a pretty good overall sound. Enjoyed the tune. VOTE

Fortune's Favorites: This could really be a good "torch" song. The midi sounding stuff moves into more into the novelty camp, which is a shame because I don't think you intended it to be that way. If this is midi, search the internet for free soundfonts which give it a more realistic sound. I would have gone for a more traditional piano, bass, drum, horn arrangement.

Pigfarmer Jr: At least I now know what a GnG type song is (LOL). Nice guitar riffs. I am under the impression that production counts for a lot of points here. I have been listening to your stuff for at least 1 FAWM and 2 50/90's and I must say your improvement in songwriting and delivery has really, really improved!

The Weakest Suit: Good melodic choices for the singing parts. Some interesting effects in there. I would suggest that you add some percussion in there. That would really take your tunes to the next level. Good stuff. I liked the 2nd guitar parts.

Dori Kettle: Just way too loud. I think everyone mentioned that on your last tune. You really need to fix this issue, it totally ruins the listening experience. I had to stop after 40 seconds. It might be a great tune, but you are not giving yourself a chance to be played!

Heipa: Another pretty well done tune that didn't do too much for me personally. Nothing wrong with the tune, it's probably just me. I don't have any suggestions.

Ross Durand: Tell me about your guitar recording setup, your guitar tone is great. Good visual story, I could picture everything hanging out in this pawn shop. I commented on this over at 50/90 also. Nice guitar playing!

Rosemary Leonard Art Studio: I like the percussion choices here and it seems like a solid composition. I am really going with the lyrical selection as my first choices as vote getters. Cool, though.

Gooey Caramel Centaur: I really liked the opening section and pre-chorus (first 0:38), sounded great. The chorus itself (MTBP section) was only OK, something seemed off -- maybe the "Played" word just didn't seem to fit the song. I am having trouble with this one, obviously talented, but those couple of words kill the whole groove for me. Sorry about that. The ending might have been too long, I think.

James Owens: 10 seconds!!! I think this is an inside joke of some sort. It's pretty cool, though.

Metropological: I don't care for "electronic" music too much, but I did like this one. The repeating "eeeee" sound turned me off, but the rest was pretty cool. Has an instrumental ever won a song fight? I am not going to vote for this one, but the composition is pretty solid (except for that one repeating note).

Dr Spectacular's Power Circus: Yea it's a Queen style power ballad type tune. Quite ambitious sounding and you pulled it off. Great change of pace at the 2:17 mark or so. I can tell this is a well conceived and performed piece. It is really not a style I care for too much (a little too pretentious), but you still deserve a VOTE. Cool ending.

Manhattan Glutton: Great recording sound here. "World's gonna end, tune in at ten" -- cool line. "let go of your liver" -- is that the line??? Didn't hear "Made to be Played" anywhere in there -- did I miss it? Definitely a drunken bar sing along type song. You should have added about 6-10 voices in there during the chorus. A fun listening experience.

Authors Of: Loved the way this started with the fiddle, the guitars and percussion. Phrasing/timing was off a bit on a lot of the changes. Sort of had a "two lead vocals" feel instead of a lead vocal and backing/harmony vocal. I don't think that helps too much. The lead break dragged on for a little too long. I like lead breaks, but need to make it slightly more exciting. You used "Made To Be Played", but it sure didn't seem like the title/hook to me.

DuToVa: Is it a Devo type thing? Another creative piece. This is tough, for the most part everyone is putting pretty good effort into this thing -- but I can't vote for everyone, can I? I don't find this kind of music particularly interesting, so you are not getting a vote because of my personal preferences, not because you didn't hit your mark or anything.

Wages: I had a lot of hope for this one when it started out, but it really, really needs some bass and drums to bring it home. So it's a good song, just needs more production to make it totally work. Good rock vocals. The "lead" fell apart a little there.
Last edited by kemmrich on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

bdog5778: Normally I try not to contribute to the noise on these threads by replying to reviews, but I wanted to thank you for your insights. And for the link; that's gonna be SO useful! :)

I enjoyed this fight, mostly. Voted for maybe eight songs. I've got the list at home, and I'll update once I'm there.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

I'm in the contingent that the Title does not have to be used as a Lyric... in fact sometimes I try to avoid using the Title as a Lyric on purpose. Like BLT...
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

ujnhunter wrote:I'm in the contingent that the Title does not have to be used as a Lyric... in fact sometimes I try to avoid using the Title as a Lyric on purpose. Like BLT...
i completely agree. i did that exact thing for my first songfight entry.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

kemmrich wrote:Another question: How much of a "stickler" are folks for the phrase "Made To Be Played" to actually be in the song somewhere?
Here at Song Fight! we make songs that go with the title. As you may have noticed with many popular (and unpopular) songs out there, titles are not required to be part of the lyrical content of a song, but generally correlate somehow. Indeed, sometimes using the title in the song can make for a very lame song. It is when the title does not correlate in any way whatsoever that shenanigans are typically called.

In the case of my song this week, I tagged the title as "Made to be Played (at the End of the World)". Whether you consider the addition of parenthesis to be not in the spirit of the fight is up to you.

/pedantry off
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
kemmrich
A New Player
Instruments: guitar (banjo, harmonica, vocals)
Recording Method: cakewalk HS
Submitting as: cville ramblings

Post by kemmrich »

In the case of my song this week, I tagged the title as "Made to be Played (at the End of the World)". Whether you consider the addition of parenthesis to be not in the spirit of the fight is up to you.
The title is just fine -- I was just asking about using the phrase MTBP in the actual song. I didn't hear in your tune (did I just miss it?). Since I am a newbie, I wasn't sure what the "rules" are yet. This time around, I took points off for not saying those words in the lyrics. If is accepted process that it doesn't really matter, then I will adjust my thinking going forward.

Kevin
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

kemmrich wrote: Sven Mullet: It starts off like it was going to be a lo-fi garage band type thing, but the vocals are really well recorded -- as are the instruments. The chorus didn't match the quality of the verses, I thought. Was "Made to Be Played" part of the lyrics at all? I think that's sort of important -- but maybe that's just my issue. Great verses, chorus needs work.
That is bizarre. I personally like the chorus, and feel the verses are kind of weak. I guess this proves that you never know what your intended audience is going to like.
kemmrich wrote:Another question: How much of a "stickler" are folks for the phrase "Made To Be Played" to actually be in the song somewhere? I sort of took points off for it being missing.
If it sounds like the actual title is forced in there, or if it's just repeated a la Wesley Willis as the chorus, it usually detracts from the song, IMO. I usually try to avoid putting the title in the lyrics, while still making it obvious that the song is inspired by the title.
* this is not a disclaimer